Reviews for Immigration
A. C. Oasis chapter 1 . 11/13/2006
I LOVE YOU. *cough* Okay, now that that's over with, I just want to say this is a wonderfully written essay and it makes some great points and uses facts frequently to make it persuasive. Also, I loved that you brought the Empire thing into it. Fab!
Nemo chapter 1 . 7/19/2004
Nice essay. It's very nice to know that I'm not the only person who despises the Murdoch/Desmond-fuelled feeding frenzy targetting asylum seekers and immigrants. If it's not attacks on Asians coming from Uganda it's Roma from Eastern Europe, Afghans, Kurds, Turks, Iraqis, etc., etc. And you just know that half the bigots who rant about those people had never even heard of the places before, let alone known that they were trouble-spots.
Nicola2004 chapter 1 . 6/6/2004
Good essay - I can't stand the 'immigrants are ruining our country!' attitude peddled in the tabloid press. What worries me most, is that many people in this country actually believe this, and can't be bothered to actually think about the reasons why someone would want to leave their home country and move half-way across the world. I attended a speech by William Hague, and was quite shocked by the opinions of many of the audience (mainly middle-aged Tories), demanding for a complete stop to immigration.
I find it particularly ironic when the 'Daily Mail' has a full-page spread on immigrants 'taking advantage of Britain'; followed by an article on how everyone should move to France or Spain to enjoy the benefits of life there. In both cases, people are moving to improve their lives - is it really that different? In my (admittedly small) experience, most immigrants would much rather be working than 'skiving off the state'.
James Jago chapter 1 . 4/29/2004
Right on, mate! Heil Blunkett! Death to the British Nazi Party!
Loganberry chapter 1 . 4/16/2004
Great Frith, an essay on immigration that doesn't read as though the author felt Richard Littlejohn was a bleeding-heart liberal! ;)
I agree entirely with the great majority of this. Surely if someone is prepared to risk everything, even their life, to try to get to Britain, we should be proud of that - it means we're a country people want to live in. The alternative is to go down the shameful route of food vouchers and the like, which was a truly wicked policy. And of course, employers want people with commitment and energy - most immigrants have both in spades.
My only slight reservation would be the "Empire-building" paragraph. While it's certainly true that great crimes were committed in Britain's name, somtimes with the active connivance of the government, I don't really accept the implication that everything the Empire did was bad. I'm glad we no longer have it, and I wouldn't want it to return, but not *all* imperialists spent their time robbing people blind.
Still, that's really my only significant criticism - as I said at the start, it's extremely refreshing to see someone stand against the flood-tide - not of immigrants, but of prejudice and nastiness. "Asylum" is not a swearword.
fugiguru chapter 1 . 4/3/2004
i liked this very much. i thought it was humorous, but you were able to write so that your point still came across seriously. i will admit that it is often hard for me to think about the british without connecting them to "land stealing protestant bastards" (i'm irish, born in america, and my father is *very* unforgiving, and has perhaps passed that unforgiving nature onto his children) but you seem to understand that sort of sentiment and the reasons others, especially immigrants, may have for it. i'm rambling, but basically i'm trying to say this is a good essay. and you've begun to reverse my thoughts about the "land stealing protestant bastards". ; ) keep writing.
Evilmonkeys chapter 1 . 4/3/2004
its me! well obviously thought i'd check u out. love the rant - although i've heard it so many times on the bus before. having it written down really helps with the impact. i would say keep writing but i know you would do anyway. have a nice easter hols!
DarkSorceress chapter 1 . 4/2/2004
Come to Canada. We love culture.
A very thoughtful insight onto the immigration situation in Britain. I always thought British were open minded on immigration, but I guess not. I also share some of the same thoughts as the last reviewer (my dad is from Turks and Caicos).
MidnightSorceress
Guin chapter 1 . 4/2/2004
Sometimes you read an essay that is incredibly hard to review, because you just have no idea how to not say something really stupid. This is one of these essays. It's hard to tell how you really feel, and some of your arguemnets seem a bit muddeled. Why would anyone actually want to immegrate to Iraq? Isn't that defying the point? I thought thats where people want to move away from.
Anyway, what I think. Personally I thnk that, whilst we can't just let everyone in if they really have a reason to move to Britain then yes! They shouold be allowed to. But wouldn't it be a better idea to help the countries they're are coming from more so that the people wouldn't have to move? A good opinion-based essay, though I think the bit on the British Empire is perhaps uncalled for. History is history, and though what has happened has a great effect on where we are now, it cannot change what is done now and we cannot change it.
One question that has suddenly occured to me- you didn't really say what we should do with the immigrants. Should we only let some of them in? Let all of them in? Perhaps you could add another chapter to clarify this.
mmoonsshiner chapter 1 . 4/2/2004
Here Here ! i absolutely agree with you. In fact my sister just moved to england because we werent gpoing anywhere here in america but what really burns me about her stance there is thta she's not really better off.
The country where my family is originaly from ( Turks and Caicos Islands ) is suppose to be a british dependant territory but it seems that our Queen has forgotten about us! Everything we get is from America. We use their money their language and their corrupt ideals. the only affects our BDT is when it comes to immigration! we cant even file for american citizen ship because there is no embassy there. we have to file everything legal as Bahamians... wait .. why m i telling you all this... ne way great essay hun. Hopefully you will post moresoon eh?
~Nat