Reviews for A Social Commentary
Pushkin'sMuse chapter 1 . 9/14/2005
you picked a nice topic.
milhistbuff1 chapter 1 . 4/25/2005
is any one truly free? regardless of time or place, be it 1500's Russian serf, or 21st century US voter. We are prisoner to one inescapable thing, a value system. As for sources of information to base that value system on, you hit the nail on the head. others give us information, but we choose to accept and act on it.- good job, what it lacks writing style, it makes up for in depth and connectivity to the reader. Matt
Marishi chapter 1 . 8/17/2004
Too much imagery takes away from your point. A good essay still, though. You like language, and description, and words. I can understand that, as I'm the same way. I love fitting together words and phrases so that they ultimately emcompass everything that I'm trying to say in one elegantly written piece of art. But there are times when you can just say what you mean; some people tend to focus on what you're trying to show as opposed to what you're trying to say. And in this piece, you're trying to say something. I do agree with you, though; too many people take the easy road out, and the rest of us who would see the road less taken the better option get, for lack of a better term, screwed.
Ashes0909 chapter 1 . 5/16/2004
I loved your first 2 sentences. I always strive to find something that will pull the reader in and I just wanted to say you did a perfect job doing that.
noplace4me4469 chapter 1 . 5/1/2004
Wow look at this debate that has formed from such a simple truth. First of all matt, good job, you are very right and have pretty much proven your point. Second of all Radyn no offense but if you were right i think you would have a little more to say than what you have said to prove your point. Third of all i would love to explain truth and fact to you, but that takes alot of effort, especially for something that your small narrow mind won't even take into consideration. Ok, here we go anyway, i'll break it down for you. Fact is something that is reality or truth. Reality is a person or thing that is real. Real is something that is true. Truth is an established fact. Establish is to prove. So basicaly fact is a proven reality. Now is it or is it not true that you are proven to be a human being? So it is a fact that you are a human being, right? RIGHT! So there is indeed atleast one fact. Next example, Turn a faucet on and put your hand under it. It is a proven fact that water is running on your hand. That is not an opinion, because if i were to say that my opinion is that water is not running on your hand i would be wrong. It would be a false accusation. If there were no such things as facts, then there would be no such thing as wrong. Next example, It is a fact that 2 planes crashed into the twin towers september 11. It happened, it is not an opinion. If somebody said it did not happen, would you tell them that's just their opinion? I DONT THINK SO! Because it is not their opinion. Why is it not their opinion you ask? Because it is a FACT that it happened. Now try to tell me i am wrong and there is no such thing as a fact. Go ahead JUST TRY ME. Try to tell me that none of those are facts and there are no such things. Ha i'd really like to hear that one!
Cry Tears of Darkness chapter 1 . 4/30/2004
wow...
Matthew James Current chapter 1 . 4/29/2004
Indeed. However, wouldn't you say that, due to the flawed nature of humanity that some of our perceptions might not be entirely accurate? After all it is your opinion that there are no facts, therefore it is not a fact that there are no facts, merely you assume that your particular view of the world is correct. I, however, choose to believe that you are wrong and that there are facts. Regardless of human subjectivity, there are facts in this universe. Our subjectivity prevents us from realizing these facts and blinds us. Since it is "all we have to go one," it limits us. We must move beyond simple subjectivity to accepting that, objectively, there are truths in this universe that exist regardless of the inability of some people to fathom them. I, for one, choose not to settle for mere "subjectivity." After all, although subjectivity is all we have to go on at first, one of the most interesting things about humanity is its ability to adapt to the situation at hand. In this case, I am choosing to adapt to life. Humans do NOT "create" truth, they interpret truth. I would classify "creat[ing]" truth as rationalizing reality in order to cope with things beyond one's level of understanding. That falls into the category of existing instead of living. Not accepting the actual truths of this world and instead fashioning one's own versions of them in order to better deal with painful circumstances or other unpleasent stimulus. Reminds me of a man who was driving along and watched two other drivers flash their brights at one another. Then this driver, he flashed his lights at them and followed one of the cars for a good 4 miles or more. When the car he was following pulled over and the driver and passenger got out to find out what was bugging this guy, he got out a crossbow from his trunk and killed one of the men. He rationalized it, he doesn't feel guilty. Because in this guys mind he is trying to rationalize what he did as self defense, he is trying to "create" truth. But he knows what he did was wrong, just like deep down people (perhaps not all of us will admit it or maybe even not all of us actually feel it) know when what they have done is wrong. It is because we perceive truth even if we don't understand it. Now, we can either interpret truth, or accept truth. The choice is an individual one.
Hey man, it's fun discussing this philosophical stuff with you. _ Nothing quite like a good intellectual challenge.
Radyn chapter 1 . 4/29/2004
Humans create truth.
"Human subjectivity is all we have to go on."
Exactly.
Matthew James Current chapter 1 . 4/29/2004
Radyn, "human subjectivity" is all we have to go on. And I think that, as noplace4me4469 says, there are mathematical and scientific laws in the universe that can be proven and there are certain essential truths that not even people like yourself who "don't even know the meaning of fact anymore" must acknowledge. It is a FACT Radyn, that we all die. Facts exist, I believe this and I don't need to takes my opinions from someone else's ideas (i.e. "1984") to believe that they are true. Believe what you want to, but there are facts and there are essential truths in this world. Whether you choose to believe in them or not is an opinion you are entitled to, but I would strongly recommend against deceiving yourself, it is rather unhealthy. In any case, truth exists whether people choose to believe in it or not.
Radyn chapter 1 . 4/28/2004
Matt: You rely on human subjectivity to uphold your point, which is an exercise in futility because human conceptions of reality differ from individual to individual. There is no objective standard to measure anything, nor is there an objective reality.
Furthermore, facts are merely upheld by assumptions. You can't definitely prove anything because you require things that need to be proved beforehand. And then it gets down to a basic level of assumptions that is used to justify every "fact" in the world.
Go read 1984.
noplace4me4469 chapter 1 . 4/23/2004
you make some very good points in this and although some other people may not agree it is true that it is more an opinionated society than a fact-based one. it seems as if people don't even know the meaning of fact anymore as Radyn has proved.(Fact: a concept whose truth can be proved) and yes 224 that is a mathematical expression that has mathematical laws that can be proved so it makes it a fact. however as he has stated in his essay about the news being "shaped so readily by opinions" it's sad to say but that is true. it is a fact that most of the stuff heard on the news is all shaped by assumptions and opinions that people have come up with. very rarely can what they say actually be proven which would make it not actual facts. And yes people seem to think that if they predict things or state their opinion everybody should go with what they say and agree. but the thing is not everyone will agree and everyone will have their own opinions without knowing the complete truth. Not telling the whole story or stating your opinion is holding something back and that is like a lie. so pretty much what i'm getting at is everything anyone thinks or has established about this world or society has been based on a lie which would make their assumptions incorrect, and life would deffinately be so much easier in the end if people would be told the truth.
Matthew James Current chapter 1 . 4/16/2004
Radyn: When you have two apples in each hand, and you have two hands, how many apples do you have?
Radyn chapter 1 . 4/16/2004
Stephen:
Prove that 2 2 4.
Admiral Rupert chapter 1 . 4/13/2004
You're quite wrong, Radyn - facts are not opinions. For example, there are 6.3 billion humans. That's a fact. You and I can agree that there are 10 billion, but that won't make it a fact. The whole world can agree that there are 10 billion, but it won't be a fact. The quantifiable fact is that there are 6.3 billion humans.
Anyway, to the actual author, I sort of agree, but not entirely. I agree that news agencies should give hard facts, tell what happened and nothing more, tell what happened as it happened, as unskewered as possible by anybody's left-leaning or right-leaning or wherever-leaning personal biases.
But it won't happen.
So your point, basically, is that the media has deceived us and made us all ignorant? That implies that the media itself is not ignorant, but deceitful. So how did the media escape becoming ignorant themselves?
I kind of agree with your last paragraph as well.
But I dunno... the whole essay seemed kind of drifty, if you know what I mean. It wasn't bad, though.
Karasu no sei chapter 1 . 4/12/2004
So... can there ever be true facts? It is so hard to omit opinions and feelings and biases from anything, is it truely possible? And truth... it varies, also depending on the view of the speaker. And, "ignorance often leads to acceptance of ignorance", I think that is because if you have felt something, you can accept it in other people, whether it be the right or wrong thing to do. If there is right and wrong. It is a confusing existance, to be sure.
Karasu