Reviews for Held in shadowirrational poem3
Autumn tears chapter 1 . 6/8/2004
And this one is so incredibly different from Fistful. This one seems more observational, and detatched. But still just as lyrical and smooth to hear as the other. It rolls off the tongue so nicely- imperative in good poetry. It also seems more contradictory- pulls you in with inviting words and then knocks you off sideways with ironic descriptions. (ex. Her allure can be tasted) Very cryptic, almost to the point of nonsensical, but then again, something that is nonsense- can be made into sense anyway the reader wants it to. Interprative and interactive, like the writer is there, right behind the words wanting you to feel the poem- and yet at the same time, holding it far away, so you can't even touch it. Brilliant.
Jennacharm chapter 1 . 5/1/2004
My favorite English teacher once compared a passage of poetry to eating a strawberry. How each word has to savored...
I feel this way about this poem. You've intertwined metaphors and imagery, and you've brought it all together. I love the 'sapphire candles' and how you draw the image of flame and fire throughout the poem. I also love the shadows that is strung through in the second stanza, then sealed up in the last. "Moves like pain..."
See what I mean?
Words to be savored.
Work to be savored.
Amazing. Awe inspiring.
- Jennacharm
dawningfear chapter 1 . 5/1/2004
This is amazing. This is absolutely amazing. This isn't even all that lyrical and it's bloody amazing. It's still you. And despite it's lack of lyric (compared to your other work), I think it's my favourite piece of the work all the work of yours I’ve seen. Heh, I'm trying to tell you what stanzas I like best, but I'm having issues deciding. Between the pretty images and connotations drawn in the second and sixth and the wonderful simile in the fifth, I'm lost. Awesome awesome stuff.
Impaired chapter 1 . 5/1/2004
And yet again, I'm amazed.