Reviews for Dinadan and the Daoine Sidhe
Dark Lord Ven chapter 1 . 5/13/2004
Great story! I hope you got an "A" for it.
Sidious Sam chapter 1 . 5/13/2004
oh dear,
really throwing two vastly different legends together here aren't we.
Hmm, granted that Arthur and Camelot is viewed as an English legend today, it is in fact french in origin, with a little english stuff thrown in (BTW his full name was Arthur Pendragon) But aside from that, the legend is not really Celtic as such.
Now, the Daoine Sidhe (or to give the proper term, "Na Daoine Sidhe" The Fairy People for any non-irish speakers reading this review! lol) is pure Celtic/Irish mythology. The two as such don't really mix well, bit like Oil and Water.
Right, now that I've said that, I guess I better read this post, as that rant was just my initial thoughts. (Hoping to be plesently surprised)
_
In Arthurian legend, the grail was never found but cudos for knowing that it was Galahad more than anyone else who searched for it.
The term "Daoine Sidhe" refers to all of the Celtic "Faries" from goblins to Elves etc. (I'm simplifying here. An example of one of the Doine Sidhe would be "Án bean sidhe" today better known as the banshee. Oh, and elves were viewed as a small people who were not to be trusted even the slightest as they loved nothing better than to cause havoc with their practical jokes.)
*Muses* I've heard that name before, Dinadan, and I get the impression that it should be spelt "Dinadán"(Note the "fada" over the final "a") I could be wrong.
Well I've read your post and it's not too bad, nice bit of humour here and there, although I found that for the setting some of the language was too modern (eg. "Yeah right")
I also found the way the "elf" spoke to be idiotic. It sounded like you were trying to make him sound like an Irish person (Hollywood style). Absolute crap. It didn't feel natural or "folksey" if you know what I mean. The fact is, if the "elf" were talking to you now, in Irish, the language would be almost archaic and very formal compared to Irish as spoken now. There fore, as he is talking in english, I would suggest that you get rid of the "Irish" tone and instead make him sound more formal perhaps with the use of a "thee" and a "thou" here and there if you catch my drift.
Otherwise, not badly written.
Sam.
Ps. Hopefully you didn't take this too hard, as it was not intended to be a flame, just my humble opinion. If you want to challenge any of my points feel free to Email me.
Oh, if you get a chance, perhaps you'd like to R/R one of my posts?
Cheers.