Reviews for Semantics
Hyperroll chapter 1 . 5/2/2007
Wow. I LOVED this. Amazing.

I wasn't expecting him to be a vampire. I thought the story would just be about a normal girl meeting a normal boy.

But I really enjoyed reading this. The twist was great.

Oh, and you're an incredible writter. Your writting style is awesome; I'm envious.

So ya. Great story. Keep on writting.
Chiclets chapter 1 . 9/29/2006
Uh, ooh, wow, unexpected twist. ::laughs:: Though when he bit her there was an inkling of suspicion...I actually like Desiree's opinions on the whole English language thing. I must admit I'm somewhat like that...not quite so passionate but more adamant that I use perfect grammar...even though this sentence was probably anything but. I like this. Surprising, and good. Write on!
brittle hearts chapter 1 . 8/15/2006
Very nice plot twist there, but I felt that the ending was too abrupt. Hope you get a good grade on this! :)
cbprice25 chapter 1 . 7/14/2006
I remember reading this a while back but I suppose I never did review. I like it. The whole vampire thing kind of threw me; I wasn't expecting it. And I adore the ending. And I do mean adore.
justanotherdeadaccount chapter 1 . 11/17/2005
I love this, it has to be my favourite short story ever. The first time I had read it I had lost it before I could read the ending so I was really ecstatic when I found it again!
Slightly Obsessive chapter 1 . 10/22/2005
Well i didn't expect that twist! Nicely done!
ntht chapter 1 . 7/28/2005
Whoa Blew me away...But you didn't include Desiree's 'answer' in the very end. Does she go with Derek or does she turn him down? Damn it. :)
Hester Inkmaid chapter 1 . 11/28/2004
The writing in here is much better than in “Fire and Ice”.The story is lovely, but the vampire thing was a bit sudden. Desiree’s reaction was a bit unrealistic. If I had been in her position, it is true that the thought “vampire” would have entered my mind, but I would then definitely have thought of a rebuttal to it. Especially if I had been a biology major, like her. (Or perhaps not; I was just referring to the stereotype that scientists believe only in facts, etc.) Because most people don’t believe in vampires! It’s a bit funny how Desiree seems to reach her conclusions so quickly. I know that I am not her, but if I had been, I would have considered all the different possibilities (having been drugged, or something) before deciding that Derek was a vampire!

I loved your Simple Plan / Green Day analogy, it was perfect. I feel the same way. But the way that Desi’s friends described Derek (as ‘Orlando Bloom boy’) was a turnoff; Orlando Bloom is cute, but he’s not the dark, brooding kind of “hot” that we want here. At least in my opinion… Besides, OB gives off the impression that he’s shallow; especially in his roles as Paris of Troy and Will in Pirates of the Caribbean.

That’s all for now; and I think you should do one of these things.1) Upload this story again, and divide it into two or three chapters. 2) Re-write the summary.3) Or something else to draw more attention to it! I discovered it purely by chance and I think that the summary doesn’t do it justice. Also, poems tend to have shorter summaries than stories, and since I rarely check out poems on fictionpress (They tend to be all the same), so it’s hard to see. :)Write on.
grrrL chapter 1 . 6/24/2004
excellent story, awesome, and it really sucked me in. the plot has lots of character. only, i was just a little bothered by the vampire thing, just surprised i guess, cause i never ever ever expected it and the pace that goes with it. it became a fantasy-ish story. only, maybe it lacks closure? i'd like to know what happened after his speech. great story, though, i love how you phrase your words.;)
whacked chapter 1 . 6/23/2004
wow, that was amazing! and not to mention the plot twist was completely unexpected. Very well written, but im torn between thinking whether you should give it a solid ending or just leave it as it is...i honestly don't know. Btw, congratulations on graduating, and i just so you know i love fire and ice and im so glad you updated!
snow blossoms chapter 1 . 6/23/2004
Damn. That story was so utterly beautiful. Not just the cliche, smutty romance. Not the poorly written tale written by an online author. But something with substance, something that had actually good ingredients! And, gosh, I didn't really understand the last paragraph, probably due to my poor comprehension skills, however I did notice that it was so well written. Perhaps, one fair midsummer's day, you should grace the world with your writing and publish a book. From what works I've read, no doubt those publications will be a best-seller. Good luck with love, life, etc., and thanks for writing! Please do have a good day! Btw, could you perhaps explain the last paragraph to me if you have the time? My e-mail is . Thank you.
feelingshortofstable chapter 1 . 6/23/2004
I'll write this still being quite dumbfounded; all I can say is that your story is not what I expected. I'm only just beginning to learn how to read literature, despite years of trying, because I am finally learning that it all means something deeper, and that everything is there for a reason. I'm not sure of the reason for everything that you wrote, but there must have been some sort of inflaming experience which inspired "Semantics" and some recurring or possibly sudden wondering which eventually made the story what you desired it to be. Awesome job...I'm impressed. Also, I figure since people tend to write what they know, you must be or have been involved in your school's lit magazine, if I want to walk out on precarious limb and assume. I just have to say I share your passion.
-feeling short of stable
meaghan chapter 1 . 6/1/2004
Wow...definitly didn't see that coming! I went back and had to reread it to make sure I understood - I thought it was some sort of metaphor you were using. Hehe...
I like the depth to your writing; you were saying something through it, something deeper. It just wasn't about some teen falling in love; you seemed to be expressing something about life on the larger scale, like with Derek's little speech at the end about death.
Anyways, that's definitly awesome work and I'm loving the your writing style! Keep writing!
Lyssa O chapter 1 . 5/29/2004
this is good. actually, this is really good. i loved your plot and your characters; you just have a really brilliant way of using words i guess. i hope you get a good grade. you deserve it.
ali was already taken chapter 1 . 5/23/2004
this was the perfect thing to read at 2:52 on a monday morning. id give you 127%; if your teacher gives you any less you should fight the man and stage a protest. or something.
the insomnia is obviously making me delirious, but my love for this remains. two enthusiastic thumbs up.