Reviews for The Legend of Vlad Tepes: Immortal or Insane?
AlysonSerenaStone chapter 2 . 12/14/2012
nice essay
Amelia Grant chapter 1 . 12/20/2004
well written, i liked all the detail and description of his life.
CaptHornblwr chapter 1 . 10/13/2004
I nice essay however I am compelled to defend Vlad Dracula against the "cold, cruel bloodsucker" version. He was a military genuis, the first to use cannons effectively, and united his country when they were being torn by the nobility, Hungary and the Turks. He had many reasons to a sadistic war leader, as he suffered a great deal himself.
I am glad that people take note of his historical importance though, so good job with that! this was well written
kgh chapter 2 . 6/29/2004
this was good, but stoker actually didnt base his book on vlad
FireChainsaw chapter 1 . 5/28/2004
Bram Stoker himself didn't portray Dracula as too much of a sex symbol. I'll grant you that. Rather, it was the film version, with Bella Lugosi cast as the count, that generated so much sex appeal. Ironic, as Lugossi wasn't chosen for the role because he was particularly good looking, but because he was fairly malevolent looking, and he had the accent. Either way, the sexy vampire mold was cast long before Anne Rice got into the mix.

Damnit Max, we're using this guys review board like a freaking message board. He's gonna track us down and kick both our asses. Sorry, Lyxzan; won't happen again.
Max Krugman chapter 1 . 5/28/2004
FireChainsaw:

That's actually exactly what I was talking about - suave seductivity isn't exactly a characteristic of original vampires, more a product of Anne Rice than anyone else, I think. Bram Stoker did a little of that, but not that much, as I recall.
FireChainsaw chapter 1 . 5/28/2004
Don't know what Max was getting at, but I also have a problem with the suductive vampire archetype. If one looks at traditional folklore, one will see it's a far cry from the debonair count. Traditionally speaking, the vampire was a shambling, blood sucking corpse, it'sunlife barely halting it's decomposition, or an etherial, insubstantial demon. The suave, affluent vampire archetype really has it's basis in Stoker's novel, instead of having been the base premise. Maybe you were aware of that, but you didn't alude to it in this essay.
Otherwise, a good, well written piece, and a good account of the Impaler's life.
lildvl105 chapter 1 . 5/28/2004
wow, nice essay. i'm really interested in vampires and such, and it's really cool actually reading so much information on them!
Formerly chapter 1 . 5/28/2004
Pretty good essay. Just one thing.

"Vampires are the creatures of the night that use their beauty to seduce their victims."

Uh, no.