Reviews for Gold Essay
confwuzzled chapter 1 . 4/20/2005
OMG! i'm reading this book in English right now! i'm on chappy 2 but my crazy english teacher said we have to memorize this poem, i hope to god we don't have to do an essay like u did, b/c i'm crap at those. ur essay was, like, incredibly good! *confwuzzled*
Thatz Foreman chapter 1 . 10/13/2004
How interesting, I was just about to start reading that book.
That's nice. Short but sweet and well written. I like the use of the quote in your second paragraph, and the use of the definition of "gold" in the first paragraph. The definition is a good introduction for this kind of essay, and I think it ties together well.
Rachel Faith A. Teknoman 333 chapter 1 . 7/19/2004
"Nature's first green is gold, her hardest hue to hold. Her early leaf's a flower, but only so an hour. Then leaf subsides to leaf, so Eden sank to grief. So dawn goes down to day, nothing gold can stay." - Cool poem.
I haven't read the book, so I can't really say what I think, since it was mostly about the book.
Like it anyway.
-Rachel
Avory chapter 1 . 6/30/2004
Fairly good analysis. I have to remember that you're only in the 8th grade here, 9th grade there. Otherwise, I'd be a lot harsher. Anyway, by MLA standards, there is much to be done to elevate this to the grammatical par. For example, when you directly quote the poem, "Nothing Gold Can Stay," the lines of the poem should be separated by a "/" to denote when one line ends and another begins, of course. Also, when you directly quote the book, and because the quote is three lines long, it should be offset with tab, about five spaces after the already-there "new paragraph" indention. Furthermore, though I'm not sure how the FictionPress format would handle this one, when you say "the word" in front of a word when referring to that word (wow, that was a mouthful), the initial word, I believe, should be underlined. Ok, correct me if I'm wrong on that last one. I can't properly remember if one underlines it or puts it in quotations. Anyway, astute analysis of an especially great poem by Frost and its significance in a good book, Jake.
Wrathful Diana chapter 1 . 6/8/2004
We had to find symbolism in 'the pearl' by Steinbeck, there was plenty of good symb but the teacher ignored that and had us make up symb, the class made me draw compulsively and half-sleep. I wish I'd read the Outsiders now because of your essay (as if I had a choice of my lit tacher) This fic is very pretty but mostly quotes, good idea
Nymph
Malicious Scars chapter 1 . 6/8/2004
Now I might just be insane but did this go along with a project where you had to elaborate on the meanings of various colors? I had a project like this and I had red and we read The Great Gatsby. Red was all sin and evil baby. But anyways it was a very thoughtful and informative essay. I can only write-puncuation and all grammatical skills are a big flop for me. So congrats on a job well done.
**Scars**
Aneliz Rei fictionpress account chapter 1 . 6/5/2004
Well-written; concise and simply put yet very clear.
Um, I dunno if its just cuz Enlglish isn't ur first language, but I noticed something: you wrote, "the word 'gold'...served many different meanings". I got what you were trying to say, but, (at least in English), words do not "serve meanings". They serve different purposes, or may different meanings, but they do not serve meanings.
Secondly, (and this is just for polishing purposes), most authors are told not to actually trot out the dictionary to give a definition. Typically, definitions are only ever cited in glossories or (occasionally) in historical/reseacrch documents.
Also, maybe just a bad translation, but the sentence, "Johnny had said how he wished the sky would never change and caused Ponyboy to remember a poem called Nothing Gold Can Stay." I don't believe this is grammatically correct; in any case its awkward. You might try something like "When Johnny voices his wish for the day to last forever, Ponyboy responds by reciting a poem. Entitled, 'Nothing Gold Can Stay', it reads as follows..." Its just less awkward.
Lastly, the ends of your paragraphs are a tad chopped. Two of ur paragraphs end with quotes, which is unprofessional (not that we care, but...) Also, in the final sentence, you need a noun after "throughout"; I might suggest saying, "and played an important role throughout the tale". Having said that, you must answer the question, HOW does it play an important role? So really, it might read something like, "...and helped drive the story forward", or "...and provided material for several levels of literary examination".
I know this totally sounds like a flame, but its not meant to be. The essay needs polishing, but its core was very strong. (Besides, if this was originally written in German (that's ur language, right?), most mistakes are probably translation errors, and therefore, easily forgiven). Also I'm an English fiend and my mother's big on correcting my grammar. So I apologize. :[ Nice job!
KayT2008 chapter 1 . 6/5/2004
Hey Jake
Oh i remember doing this
I like Sodapop better tho
Anyways..i finally felt like login in.
Im adding u n tascha to my favs
Ttyl-
homie g muffin (aka: Christy)
slave to the voices chapter 1 . 6/5/2004
Great essay based on an incredible book. The poem "Nothing Gold Can Stay" is by Robert Frost (if I recall), which probably should have been mentioned. Anyway, I found this beautifully written. Nice work, keep writing.
**Slave**
if you get a chance, check out this month's WRITING CHALLENGE.
Cry Tears of Darkness chapter 1 . 6/5/2004
heheh nice! i read that book before... i prefered Sodapop to Ponyboy tho, LOL! anyways, nice ;)