Reviews for yA LoLz AIM sux0rz:P
To Be Ascertained chapter 1 . 12/15/2006
My god, it's about bloody time. Frankly, next time I see people using ':P' for no apparent reason when it is supposed to be 'sticking your tongue out' (why the heck would anyone want to do that on AIM anyway?), I am going to execute the owner of AOL with my nunchaku. Endless forms of abbreviations are actually making things HARDER to understand! I had difficulty deciphering the title. So thank you, leadlesspencil, for hitting the problem right on the head with a massive hammer, and I love your analagies.
wodneythewat chapter 1 . 1/2/2006
gorgeous story!
ronshaberry chapter 1 . 1/2/2006
*~*~*LyK diZ iZ TotLy AwEsOME!*~*~* sEXxY rAWR!11!11 l337 r0x lollolloloolloololollolollool! ohemgee, lik ya!1!
tessa chapter 1 . 12/8/2005
This is one of the best articles of random things I've ever read...I loved it, I would encourage you to write more.
purplemuffin chapter 1 . 7/29/2005
so true, so true. although sadly i must admit that some of this such as the term "sup" has caught on with me... although i am in complete agreement about the pink fonts and the 337 etc... however, you forgot to mention the people who seem to forget that they can turn off their caps lock key and are forever TALKING IN CAPITALS LIKE THIS
Decollage chapter 1 . 6/26/2005
I hate chatspeak... I'm almost certain it's what's causing my vision to diminish over the years. I didn't need glasses until after I'd used AIM for a few months.

But to be fair, MSN has its share of stupid users.
ithinkcupidsjusttakingtheps chapter 1 . 2/20/2005
It's true! It's all true! And I must repent, I am one of the guilty parties. I have been known to have entire conversations made out of emoticons and the acrynom 'roflmao'. I will stop this evil behavior, I swear I will!
Rio Madeira chapter 1 . 2/18/2005
I started out with e-mail by writing like that, but over the years I've wised up and started using Messenger with completely proper grammar (except for the occasional "gonna" or "gotta" here and there). It's sad to see how much effort the world thinks it takes to say "that's really funny". Nice work!
Santorini chapter 1 . 1/14/2005
I feel your pain. _

Some people have Arial Narrow, Bold, Orange as their font. It's squashed together. Do you know how annoying that is?

Nd sum ppl typ liek dis en it tkes mi 15 secs 2 reed a hol sentins.
Melissa chapter 1 . 8/23/2004
I very much agree with you on this particular subject. While some of these I do use myself like 'whats up?' and 'brb'. I too get very annoyed when someone types a 'sentence' out and send it to me and I have to waste a whole line asking them to repeat themselves in a more understandable sentence. I hope more people read this and maybe they'll understand why this makes us so angry when they can't speak, or actaully type in complete sentences while chatting online.
Cobster chapter 1 . 8/7/2004
Wow. You managed to tie it all in together with that last inquiry. I wondered how you'd end it, and I hoped you'd have a real conclusion and not some whimpy drop-off ending that didn't qualify it as a real essay. You pulled it off nicely.
~
Ugh. This story made me sick. My sister is just like this, with the smileys and the ttyl and lol and all that-and what's worse, she never signs off, so her friends are constantly bombarding me with *sup* *r u ther* *?-?* -and yes, that is a face. I have seen it, and I am convinced that ?-? is what Satan looks like.
~
It gets worse. There is now a novel-titled "ttyl"-about a slew of highschool girlriends (BFFs, if you will) written entirely in the format of Instant Messenger. The plot moves along in Messenger, the characters are developed in Messenger, it starts and ends in Messenger. It's horrendous. I got through about a page and a half and had to put it down.
~
The only plus side is that I can mess with my sister's friends whenever they "IM" me-I either write disturbing song lyrics or I play along in AOL Lingo and just freak them out. Heehee.
~
Anyway, well-written piece of satire all around. Although-I think you may have wanted to talk about people describing exaggerated actions enclosed in asterisks. You know, like when Jane is mad at Bob and is communicating with her best friend via AOL, and she says:
Grr! bOb MaKeS mE sO mAd! *slits bobs throat*
~
That kind of thing. Perhaps revise the essay and add the "asterisk action depiction" aspect of the world of Messenger.
Haein chapter 1 . 7/31/2004
Great work with this essay. The time it takes to type things in lingo is sometimes (ok, always in the most drastic cases) longer than the time it takes to type something in plain English, so yeah, typing in lingo is basically moronic, since the whole purpose of lingo is to save typing time. I hope more people realized that, but unfortunately that isn't so.
MysticLlama chapter 1 . 7/23/2004
Wonderful, wonderful essay. I found myself being enraged and alternating between deleting all my MSN Messenger files (ha ha, I'd never do that, i lik luv it waay 2 muc!), and laughing insanely. You should feel extremely proud.
Seriously though, if you take away the humour part of your essay, you made some brilliant points, and I completely agree with you. Why, oh why, do we subject our poor language to these evil abbreviations?
Thanks for making me laugh today, and for raising my awareness on The Terrors of the Pink Witches. I salute you!
Girlbrainiac chapter 1 . 7/4/2004
ROFL! (JuSt JoKiNg!) ;-)
I found this completely amusing, especially since I am also frustrated with "net-speak". What's really sad is the fact that people are beginning to write in net-speak in their non-typed letters. When will the madness end?
Girlbrainiac
Guest chapter 1 . 7/4/2004
On a slightly unrelated subject, I suppose you haven't heard of the new MSN Explorer (completely same as Internet Explorer, except it has a cute welcome, small screen for videos, you must sign in, and the place where it shows that its loading is in the taskbar.) So why have I conformed? Lol, it has butterflys! ;-) V. funny peice of work