Reviews for WORD SMART
InspirASIAN chapter 1 . 7/22/2008
a very true thing about fictionpress.

this is a fantastic write and i appreciate the fact that youre trying to get people to recognize this fault.

great job.
Margot Tenenbaum chapter 1 . 6/29/2007
You've hit the nail on the head! You know, I don't like to badmouth other people, but some of the romance stories on this site are just downright horrible and they have like 500 reviews. Then other stories, which are really excellent, have like 2 reviews. It's really weird/unfair how it works out. And I hate when I check my user stats and it says that 300 people have clicked on my story, but only 4 managed to leave a review. The whole purpose of fp is to get feedback from your fellow authors so you can improve your work! How is someone supposed to improve if they don't get an feedback?

Anyway, nice job and thanks for posting this. :-D
toxic-noodle725 chapter 1 . 10/6/2006
dude u are so right! i feel exactly the same way! i liked this a lot. great job.
meechiyel chapter 1 . 6/25/2006
To be perfectly honest, I'm one of those people who join FictionPress to read all of the stories. One thing I can tell you is that not all reviews are friendly; I've read author's notes and whatnot asking people to not send nasty comments and notes. People generally leave reviews if the work is horribly bad and leave insults or constructive critizism (blah, can't spell). If the work is outstanding, then you leave encouragement. I'm not saying that everybody is this way, just that a lot of people are. My point with this is that reviews aren't always kind to the authors not to start an arguement.

Meechiyel
Idiot Pilot chapter 1 . 5/8/2006
I definately agree with a few of your points. I try to review people's least reviewed works in order to help them get a variety of opinions.

I think that fictionpress should create a system similar to this strictly sci-fi website I found, where you have to give maybe 3 reviews a month or something in order to stay active. I know that some authors do not have time to write reviews, or they have since left the site since posting their work, but 3 reviews isn't too much to ask. Or a reward-for-review system.

I don't know. I do wish I had more reviews, and I try to get more people to read my work by reviewing their pieces. You just have to work for it I guess. And yes, most people here are teenage age and they love romance stories, and I will put myself in that category too. I know its not fair that those stories get the most interest, but its supply and demand if you want to advertise, though fictionpress is a way to relieve stress and get comments and not publicize.

Still, it's good that we are getting reviews in order to revise our work, but I do feel more people should be noticed.
miss understanding chapter 1 . 4/23/2006
I agree.

However, I notice a lot of really good stories that don't have fab reviews lack titles, which puts people off. Or, they sound too desperate in their summaries adding things like 'review please' or 'i know this sucks' which also kind of holds up a warning sign in the eyes of some writers.

Another thing I noticed: sometimes, people get a lot of reviews because ALL OF THE REVIEWS ARE FLAMES! There was ths one writer who had 157 reviews for two chapters and went I read them, some jerk had filled seven pages that said 'You suck' over and over and over again.

Or a blatant hater who was slamming people and then got flack for it. So it isn't just the cliche romance stories either.

When I first put my story on fictionpress, it had 21 chapters and about 70 reviews, but it was put in the horror section. When I edited it and toned it down (putting it in romance this time) it did better. Romance is what people like to read.

I guess it's because most people are having problems with their own lovelives and it's a way to project what they want on the computer screen in a healthy, non-obsessive way.

I wish that everyone could get a chance, but if everyone did, reviews wouldn't be as special...like winning the lottery. I try to review whenever I can, but lately I can barely find time to update, let alone read other peoples' work. It makes me feel horrible. _

You bring up some good points, and it looks like other people agree too. I applaud you and hope that other people read this in the hopes that it might encourage them to look beyond the book's cover.

Great work! XD Choco
writerforever chapter 1 . 12/20/2005
Very well said! *claps*. Thank you for writing this :).
Roth Jopalse Sammuels chapter 1 . 9/25/2005
I must say you touch on some good points, but leave out some, as Mr. Singh mentioned.

All of us aren't here to make a name for ourselves. Some people are, but many of them are the same people who join message boards and will post thousands of comments so that they can gain respect, for are they are no NOOBS to the forum. They have experiences. They've posted here, there, everywhere.

Although it's much different with Fictionpress, where we can find well thought out essays, poems, and stories, the same basic concept can carry over. Though it may somehow seem to matter if we have "status" on Fictionpress, we may still be the same, misunderstood losers offline.

Some people just post to get something off there chest. Literary masterbation if you will. It's the reason there are so many bad writers here, and everywhere in general. They do it for themselves.

Sometimes these works end up being good, sometimes bad. But the point is they are done for the satisfaction of the writer that they wrote it, and it's out there. Not necessarily whether they got a review or not.

But you were right on other points: some people get more reviews to revel in then they deserve. The most reviews I ever got was on a peice I wrote called The Atheist Agenda. It got as much attention as it did because it was based on an religion, and atheism happens to be a lively topic these days apparently. But I wrote it to inspire thought, and I took time in writing it.

The problem is that many others will name their essays similarly, use very few words out of laziness, and the simple fact that most readers are less intimidated by 500 words than by 50 words, a bunch of people will read it, and a bunch of reviews will be posted. If the reviewer is a good reviewer, he/she will look to criticize such a work in order to better the writer. If they are a bad reviewer, as unfortunately most are, they will leave their oppinion on the issue that was never really argued in the first place, and bicker amongst other reviewers.

A lot of it is luck. You can't always predict when is the best time to post a story, and often times that's the only thing that matter.

But don't forget the people who do it for other reasons, including getting something off their chest, and maybe to see if they are a good writer at all. That's what ideally this site is about. That's why I leave a review every time I finish reading a work. Hopefully you do the same as well.
Mr. Singh is back chapter 1 . 9/24/2005
good point, good essay, except for one thing.

"...we are all weaving our skills into one common interest: to gain status with other original thinkers like ourselves."

remember that there have been plenty of historical authors who were rejected first and had their works published and made famous after death. Emily Dickinson, for example, refused to show most of her work to anybody. Almost all of her poems were published after she died. She wasn't writing to gain status. Of course, if you're posting work on fictionpress, you want people to see it, but not necessarily to "gain status".

But if not to gain status, certainly one posts on fictionpress to at least get feedback on how to become a better writer, and the reason that some very talented people are unable to get feedback is because fictionpress is too big. A person's works are more likely to be recognized and given decent feedback from fellow writers that person knows, or from something like a club. In that respect, fictionpress is very much a gamble, due to its size.

But come on, fiction press isn't all that bad. If it wasn't for fp, I probably never would've shown my work to anyone.
temblance chapter 1 . 8/22/2005
Hey. I'm one of those FP readers who goes searching through the archives for stuff to read and review, and so I stumbled upon this.

And so, for the writing part of the review...First off, it was very well written. A lot of essays here are not organized or well-thought-out, but this one truly is. I admire your style; you got across a lot in a relatively short essay, and it was easy to read. It was wonderful, in short, and addressed a topic that many people are prone to reply to. So, a job well done. The only grammar thing is, I think that mind-set should be changed to mindset. I'm pretty sure that it is one word.

And now for the opinion part of the review (since a lot of people seem to be doing this)... FP IS like a casino, though some deserving poeple do hit the jackpot, the majority aren't necessarily the best writers. But it has a lot to do with the age range and gender of the people who visit (mainly teen girls). I am one of those, but I don't bother with the romance. I also love to read and review. FP is one of the best places to discover new talent, if you look hard enough and sift through the bad stuff.

Your essay hit some great points. Congrats.
Manju chapter 1 . 8/11/2005
you've got a good message in your work. but you have to remember that not everyone has time to look at every work. but i do agree that everyone on fictionpress deserves reviews-good or bad and and that's why i give my all to review them. i myself have given 234 reviews and i don't regret doing that. also, i'm not sure what flaming means :p but i like the fact that u mentioned for reviewers to point out mistakes to make the work better. anyway, good job!
Peregrin Chopkins chapter 1 . 7/11/2005
haha This is great. Good for you for bringing this to the attention of the masses! Up until recently I always wondered why cheesey, teen angst/romance/dramas got up to like 3,0 reviews (serious) and some of my favorite stories have only been reviewed once... by me. It's a damn shame. But yeah, then I realized that a good deal of the people here at FictionPress are teenage girls (at a guess, 13-21 years old), and I guess that's why teenage girls ages 13-21 tend to like.

Anyway, I must agree with some of your recent reviewers; reviewing other people's work is a good way to get reviews yourself. It's been my experiance that people tend to like to repay the favor. That's why I'm here, by the way. I also wanted to thank you for giving me such good reviews on "The Boogieman Theory"; you were one of only two people that I didn't know personally that read and reviewed that story. I know I'm way late on returning the favor (since you reviewed my story in January) but I figured, better late than never.
ChristianGeekGuy chapter 1 . 7/10/2005
Well, as far a structure goes, this feels more like a message board post or letter than an essay. But that's probably what you were going for, so I'll say no for the content...Fictionpress can be frustrating. Simply writing things will not get you reviews, because the sheer number of things posted means that your work will be knocked off the front page for that genre within a day. Unless you review quite a bit and get a network of other (quality) authors whom you can work with, fictionpress will be mostly the other hand, I would say that 'great' writers need to have a thick skin when it comes to "brutal rejection" and "flames". In the real world of publishing and editors, 99% of published authors must submit their work to many many many different places before it is accepted. Serious writers must accept this and , my two cents. Good job writing something thought-provoking. We all have strong feelings about FP.-C.G.G.-
Hanishi chapter 1 . 5/31/2005
I agree, but I don't understand how people have actually found my poems... It's kinda weird. I've only put a few up - Ben and Zoe was put up coz a friend told me to - and I have had more reviews than I thought I would...

Hanishi
vampindelibleink chapter 1 . 3/18/2005
I see this one doesn't suffer from lack of reviews! A lot of does seem to be a bit of luck, although in many cases, reviewing other people's work does bring people back to yours (that's why I'm here!') Things can flash through the updates list very fast so things might get missed. It is a lot better than (that place could do with some satire but satirists would wither and die from the cold shouldering they would get).
93 | Page 1 2 3 4 .. Last Next »