Reviews for The Tree of Knowledge
Borders of Infinity chapter 1 . 9/5/2004
Although I disagree with nearly everything you were trying to say, I still think that this is a great poem. I truly appreciate it if only for its wit. And you definitely illustrated your point very nicely. Lol. I really like it!
Me.
-To the borders of infinity and beyond...-
Cadience Gemma Topaz chapter 1 . 8/4/2004
Whoa...it makes you think...i love it...i wonder how u came about this...
Athena's girl chapter 1 . 8/1/2004
ah! so funny!
it's really a new look at this story.
...
And it's quite true!
singingspeechless chapter 1 . 7/30/2004
I see your point. But, as a Christian, I have to put up my case for Christ. I'm curious as to where you picked up that "what is righteous cannot be sinful and the sinful cannot be righteous." It, in a way, is not true (to my knowledge) because God is righteous (not sinful) and he calls everyone to be righteous. However, we ARE sinful creatures. God knows that we'll sin; He doesn't expect perfection when He calls us to be righteous. He expects us to put forth the effort and obey. Yes, it's true that Satan said they'd "gain from partaking of the tree," however they WERE deceived b/c if they weren't, Adam and Eve wouldn't have immediately become naked and sinful. That was the first sin of the whole world which is what caused you and me today to be sinful in ourselves. I argue your last paragraph as well b/c you start your argument off assuming that God is unjust. Yes, his Word is a contradiction b/c the Old and New Testament along with the people living during those times were contradictory themselves, living in totally different time periods with totally different perceptions and opinions about everything. And, personally, I don't think what you said in this poem was "blasphemy," b/c everyone has their own opinion and that's what makes our country great - that we can all speak our minds and hearts without being persecuted. On a different note: I really liked the structure of your poem and I thought it was very well written. Good job.
grim-dreamer chapter 1 . 7/25/2004
We are agreed. This is an intelligent argument.
Seeker of the Way chapter 1 . 7/20/2004
Bravo! I have read some fascinating ideas about what this story is supposed to mean. Wiliam Henry has some amazing stuff to say! Thsi story id based on older ideas, like Bablonina. It is of a Jealous "god" who does not want us to be gods like them. EA and Enlil. Enlil wants humans to remain slaves and sex servents, while his brother EA wants tehm to become like them! EA gives us the spark of divinity (fooling with our DNA) and Enlil is furious! It is liek us with our ideas of what A.I. might be like I would guess. Anyway, the idea is that we were given BLUE APPLES ... this is in the bible when the giant grapes are stolen from "the land that eateth the people up" and else where. Jesus is connected to the serpent by early gnostic Jewish-Christians!
Lots of stuff! Basicly, we were kicked out and placed in a prison ... Earth. We are in hell now, prison. The idea is to try to get out. It is a 3-dimensional prison as well, full of everything to deceive us ... to try to keep us from knowledge. The idea of many cultures is that as we near being level with the Galactic Center agian, a gateway./stargate/wormhole/serpent-rope will fall from it to Earth, and Light Beings will come down. We must prepare our souls for such a meeting. Mayans called it "serpent rope" and marked it with "G" symbols ... and called it Tula I think. The galatic center goes by man names, Tula, Tara, Atlantis, etc. Tara and Terror come from the same root, and are direct opposites. Just as the Galctic Center comes in connection with us (2012 wil be like the center point, if I recall right) we will want to usher in the Age of Tara (Universal Love) ... interesting then that so many politicians want to have us concentrate instead on Terror(ists) no?
there is a lot of investigation into this, William Henry has written many books! Sorry if this confuses ...where is that delete button! Keep learnig and questioning! You are a good person and good fruit can only come from good trees!
CydCharisse chapter 1 . 7/20/2004
Sooch brilliance! And I think you know where I stand on MY religion, so this was just an extra boost to what I believe.
I had to print this out, because I liked it so much, and it had such a great message.
What I really liked is that you took a great quote, then used it to twist the bible's own words. The whole poem just seemed to outwit one thing after the other, and I liked it for that.
Also (and finally XD), I liked that through all of this outwitting and cleverness and quotes, et cetera et cetera et cetera, you still made it rhyme and kept it short and sweet. _
Awesome work!
amazingblazes chapter 1 . 7/19/2004
This had a good message, but the flow of the words was a little choppy. The rhymes were pushing it too. I liked the idea a lot though - keep up the good work.
floorcollision chapter 1 . 7/19/2004
i dunno- i think the whole Adam Eve story is a metaphor. i'm probably wrong there but i dunno-
at any rate- excellent poem. thx for reviewing me. :)
tofujunky chapter 1 . 7/16/2004
I bow to your artistic greatness. Not only do you demonstrate desireable creative skills, but you possess such an admirable sophistication. You are, without a doubt, a writer with boundless intellect and wisdom.

"Knowledge was forbidden in the Garden of Eden"

I always found that odd, even as a child when I was attending church. Now that I remember, knowledge was (and probably still is) heavily restricted there as well. I was bloated with curiosity, but was never allowed to question anything. No wonder why I hated entering the "House of God" so much then; it just made me feel like I was going to explode.

"If God is unjust
And his Word a contradiction,
Then I must blaspheme and say
That the whole story must be fiction."

I can't say it better myself.
When I criticize the Bible, it is not my intention to disrepect God or Jesus; it is to reveal the foolishness and absurdity of it's writers: Men!

-tofujunky
simpleplan13 chapter 1 . 7/16/2004
interesting thoughts.. although kinda confusing.. i had to read it twice and im still not sure what i think...
WarriorHeart chapter 1 . 7/16/2004
Holler.
i am classic chapter 1 . 7/16/2004
I wondered these type of things before as well. Good job putting it into words though.
The Black Rider chapter 1 . 7/16/2004
"A mind is like a parachute. It doesnt work if it's not open."- Frank Zappa
I am a religious person, as I think you may already know, but I am not a fundamentalist. I've always thought that the Bible was meant to be ambiguous and open to interpretation rather than literal. So although I assume you are not a religious person (based on previous writing of yours) I commend you for writing such a bold take on the story. And I'm sure I could argue religious texts with you I don't see the need and I'm sure you have better things to do. Well done.
However, I think this would've worked better as an essay than a poem, since it feels more like an essay to begin with. Just my opinion.
Ashley chapter 1 . 7/15/2004
You write them fast enough- I love that about you. I admire everything about your writting and I cannot but stress that I wish for you to go on creating, your poems are touching. I've read each and every 108 poems you've written. Wonderful. Just wonderful. Kep it up!