Reviews for The Meaning of Family
pleasecometrue chapter 1 . 2/16/2005
Couldn't hae said it better myself ;) Good write.
Feyth Quinlan chapter 1 . 12/28/2004
You captured the heart of this issue. the government has no right to ban same-sex unions. the fact is that the majority of the united states is, in fact, christain (catholic to be precise, many christain religions are somewhat open to homosexuals). This majority is pushing for the ban but we can't let them get away with it. seperation of church and state is what this country was founded under, whatever that interpretation may be. you exposed the real reson behind Bush's fight for this amendment...the majority wants it, whether or not its legal.
The Watched chapter 1 . 9/5/2004
Exactly! Thank you, Aulliana, for making a point I feel is severely understated on this site.
No offence to anyone who has written to back up this point. I'm just fed up because in the last two days I have read at least six essays that basically reveal some of the homophobes on this site for what they are, which depressed me. Good essay, anyway, and some very true points.
dizzyBlonde
chocoholic chapter 1 . 8/22/2004
I completely agree with you on the points about family. It's like when people try to make out that children are damaged if they are raised by a single parent. Nobody takes into account that poverty (which is more common amoungst single parents) and how the parents split up could be more of a factor than simply the type of family they're in.
"If two people of the same gender want to be married and there is a church, priest, or priestess willing to perform the ceremony, their union should be legal." You make a good point.
Tiefling chapter 1 . 8/2/2004
This is very clearly and consisely written.
'Even Webster gives the word "family" these broad definitions: "household," "parents and their children," or "relatives." Nowhere is it stated that one parent must be a woman and the other must be a man. '
Excellent point.
'That is a Christian concept' As you acknowleged there might be, many other religions hold with that narrow definition of family too, but family is a secular institution, far, far older than any religion.
'If two people of the same gender want to be married and there is a church, priest, or priestess willing to perform the ceremony, their union should be legal'
If they want to have a non religious ceremony that should be legal too. Straight couples can be married by a non religious celebrant and that is still legally considered a marriage (my own wedding was like that).
fugiguru chapter 1 . 7/30/2004
i think it is ridiculous that same sex marriage is even an issue. two men or women marrying each other infringes on the rights of no one, making it perfectly legal. i tend to think that same sex marriage is being challenged so heavily because certain people would like to take the focus off other things that are happening with the u.s.a right now. anyway, nice essay, though it could have been longer.
theworldisround chapter 1 . 7/30/2004
I agree that gay and lesbian couples do deserve to be seen as married in the eyes of the law, regardless of what the church thinks.
This really isn't about what people think of their union because a family is a family regardless of what people want to think, but there are practical legal reasons for gay civil unions (or gay marriage). Gay couples deserve the right to file their taxes together, make medical decisions for one another when the other cannot etc. etc.
Seremela Minyatur chapter 1 . 7/30/2004
this is a great essay, thank u for expressing your opinion. i do agree with you on this issue. and also, just because a child is raised by a man and a woman, it doesnt mean that they are going to grow up perfectly and will never have problems. i am a perfect example of this. there is no reason why a child raised by same-sex parents cannot grow up to be perfectly well-adjusted.
Vitamin Kitten chapter 1 . 7/30/2004
I must applaud your openness in this essay to express your feelings. While I don't agree with you, I think that alot of the fear of those opposed to same-sex marriages stems off from a lack of understanding, and the same goes the other way around- those in favor of same-sex marriages lack the understand to truly see why those of us who are against, are.
Well, anyway, that's all I really wanted to say. I feel inspired to write my own little essay now in response to yours. Thanks. *