Reviews for Rape of the Goddess
Melitta Benu chapter 1 . 12/30/2012
Or Hela, no beautiful Persephone but a true queen of the underworld, half rotted and decayed like her subjects.

Here it seems you are judging a beautiful maiden goddess to be a Mary Sue rather than acknowledging her power as Queen of the Underworld, the very disservice you're railing against. The ancients regarded Persephone to be an entity of awe and trepidation, a goddess who was both responsible for redemption and death, who played a vital role in the mystery religions and in ancient curse magick & necromancy. Just because she is young and beautiful doesn't make her any less powerful, and the same goes if she's a victim of rape.
Sarah Crowning chapter 1 . 11/30/2008
Very good essay. You make a strong point about extremes, stereotypes and the lack of realism in the portrayals of women. Good job.
FTL chapter 1 . 1/7/2007
I agree that most authors do this, but doesn't it make the story interesting. Most guys in real life actually picture women like thin, as sad as it is. )
The Pancake Chef chapter 1 . 8/17/2004
What a thoughtful and true essay. I myself have noticed this trend, and sadly, because of feminism and sexism and the continuing battle, this will probably always be around. Alas! :/
Eboniccinderella chapter 1 . 8/5/2004
Oh my was a powerful essay.I applaud you.
g21lto chapter 1 . 8/4/2004
This essay is very intriguing, and I agree with it. The reflection of female nature has nearly always been stunted in literature, popular conception, etc. Nowadays do you think that would apply to any minority group?
Also, another interesting goddess to consider in your examples is Pele, the Hawaiian volcano goddess. She is portrayed as vengeful and bloodthirsty in some myths, but at the same time that she is a destroyer, she is also a creator. New lands from the lava flows, plants growing in the highly nutritive lava soil (probably the phrase "highly nutritive" doesn't appear in Hawaiian mythology, but it's the same basic principle).