Reviews for Butterfly Kisses
bipedalcooney chapter 1 . 9/22/2006
Wonderful imagry! This is very beautifully written. Great work and keep writing.
my dangerous angel baby chapter 1 . 11/22/2005
Woot! I love it! It could be a song too with the repetition of 'butterfly kisses' but its perfect like this and very sweet. )
Hercules chapter 1 . 4/11/2005
Very touching. Love can be as soft and and gentle and beautiful as a butterfly.
Iris Advocate chapter 1 . 3/24/2005
Yes, I have completely fallen for your poems. especially this one. I'm running out of synonyms for "beautiful" and "incredible."
Stephanie Maher chapter 1 . 1/24/2005
Love poems are tricky things. They are well worn territory and it is sometimes hard to get yourself through to the specific point without using imagery that has been repeated a thousand times. This poem is not lacking emotion, you have gotten that much through, but I think that what makes interesting poetry is when a writer takes themes like love, and images like butterflies and uses them in a way we haven't seen before. Authors that have been successful at love poems are people like Mark Halliday, Kenneth Rexroth, Marie Howe, Frank O'Hara. I would suggest checking out some of their work to see exactly what techniques they used to write interesting, innovative love poems. I think the first line of this poem is really an impressive start, but as it goes on it feels more like a song. You need to make a decision, poetry and song lyrics, while similar are not the same thing and are not interchangable. You can "get away with" a lot more in a song. Cliches and sappy lines are ok in music because it's the artist's voice, the beat, the instruments that matters most of the time. But in poetry there is no escaping imagery and words that are over-used. Challenge yourself, a great excersise is to fill a page with words you associate with love poems. Then go back and without using any of the words you wrote down on the page attempt to write a love poem. You will surprise yourself at the creative and innovative ways you get your emotion across. I think you have the potential to write really impressive stuff, you just need to sort break free of the conventional devices, and expand your idea of what a love poem should look and sound like.
Brooke ORiley chapter 1 . 12/21/2004
cute!
kit feral chapter 1 . 10/9/2004
Aw... that was so sweet and beautiful and touching and... *sniff sniff* I loved it! You're a very good writer and this was a beautiful piece and I'm adding it to favorites because it's amazing!
Cry Tears of Darkness chapter 1 . 9/6/2004
ah first i want to comment on your bio then ill comment on this poem. your goals seem like nice ones to reach (personal and this site ones) as for getting onto 100 fav authors lists, wow, good luck. youre almost halfway there! actually, take it from me whose on 98 as of this second, its flippin hard and ive been working on it for close to 4 yrs, lol! anyways, if thats your goal, youll accomplish it because youre a great author. as well, thanks for mentioning me in ur bio, makes me feel very special!
now for this poem, its great! i liked it a lot. a sweet dedication as well and nice imagry presented. as usual, you dont disappoint me with your writings. great! can wait for your next upload and post, and im sure itll be just as good if not better than this one.
and i hate hate hate to ask, but i need feedback, can you review my newest 3 pieces (one way i know how, randomness galore, i am) please? i hate asking, bc lord knows i hate getting reviews asking. if anything i purposly dont just to spite the person... oh perhaps i shouldnt write that, lol! nah but yeah. feedback would be oh so appriciated.
anyhoo, until your next post, take care!
Echo Despise
miss.aishaj chapter 1 . 9/4/2004
Wow Matthew. This is amazing (just like everything else you've ever written) I've always wanted to see how you would write a love poem and this is so NOT what I expected...It's so much better! You have a gift for writing, a blind person could see that. This is just...WoW...I love it! It would make a good song. It's really good. MARVELOUS darling ;P...lol...Anyway. If you could review some of my work that would be cool too? This is awesome. I love it...Much love from Suicidal_Greeting -x-
Deirdra Chaeli chapter 1 . 8/31/2004
*smiles* Beautiful. You capture the frailty of emotion and its strong bindings so well... I am in awe. You have a truly stunning gift for capturing just the words to draw the most feeling from a reader. Brilliant, wonderful, and overall impacting.
I Found Myself At 24 chapter 1 . 8/29/2004
Wow, spoken straight to my heart. I absolutely loved this poem, Matthew. I liked the repeated stanza as well, it really suited the poem. Awesome job, keep up the great work! :)
freethephoenix chapter 1 . 8/28/2004
Aw
I've been waiting for you to write a beautiful love poem. I always wondered how good you'd be at it. You know, without the angst or drama.
Surprise surprise you're good at this kind too ;) But to be honest, I like your angsty tradegy work more. Maybe I'm sadistic...
Yay you!
ps.) I let my sister read one of your poems and she spent the next three hours on-line reading every single one of them. So yay you again!
nuclear red chapter 1 . 8/28/2004
This is so beautiful. It almost feels like it should have been put in the song category, it has a very musical flow to it. a wonderful poem about a wonderful feeling.
keep up the good work!
always be yourself!
-Nuclear Red
Fiontari chapter 1 . 8/28/2004
*wipes away happy tears* Oh Matthew . . .it's so beautiful! I..I don't know what to say other than this is truly touching. Thank you so much for this, I can't tell you how much it means to me.
Much Love,