Reviews for Ruatha's Grammar Review
eiyuang999 chapter 2 . 5/23/2010
hi !

xXPepper-chanXx chapter 5 . 3/1/2010
Thank you for writing a review like this. I'm not a great grammar and punctuation person type so I'm one of the readers who will probably constantly visit this while writing and reviewing my own writings.

I'm sorry, I can't give you a very good review because there's more on here than I know, but I really like how you show examples of what you are talking about in all of your chapters/sections.

Thank you!
Brenda Agaro chapter 6 . 7/2/2009
Great tips. I agree with you about reviewing your own work first at least before posting. Thanks for taking the time to write this! :D
Midnight Adrenaline chapter 6 . 4/26/2009
Hmm... I didn't know point #7, about family names. But Brookes would become Brookes', right? Because Brookeses' doesn't sound right to me. Huh.

If you know which is correct, please tell me.

Midnight Adrenaline chapter 3 . 4/26/2009
At the moment, I'm writing, for fun, a movie script with a friend. I think that in a conversation with more than 2 characters, maybe turning the dialogue into a script could help. Example:

insert her dialogue here

insert his dialogue here

insert her dialogue here

insert his dialogue here

It clears up the confusion, and could help the writer be, well, clearer when they're writing the dialogue. Then, they put the dialogue into prose and hopefully it makes more sense. I haven't really tested this, but it could work.

Midnight Adrenaline chapter 2 . 4/26/2009
Not to sound arrogant, but I already knew these dialogue rules. However, there's one I have a problem with that you didn't include:

"I don't,”—she paused, hesitated—“quite know how he'd react...”

Is this correct? Should it be:

"I don't—"she paused, hesitated,"—quite know how he'd react..."

Please help.

Thanks in advance,

iforgotmyname chapter 6 . 12/2/2008
This is like my own little handy grammar book- that's fun to read (I hope I used that hyphen/dash right...)! Thanks so much for typing this up, it'll be my guide!
kimichan84 chapter 1 . 11/2/2008
Thanks for this topic. I get a lot of reviews on other sites I write on about my grammar and spelling. Problem being no one tells me what I'm doing wrong there. As I am not English but Dutch, we adopt different rules where punctuation and grammar rules are concerned.

I'm doing all the things you mentioned already so when people tell me it's not punctuated right or there are spelling mistakes I usually return them a PM asking where I messed up, but they never PM me back to tell me why.

Usually before I add more to my stories I proof read it out loud to catch any mistakes my microsoft office didn't and to get back into the story. Then when it's finished I usually mail it to a friend who reads it and sends me the story back corrected. Once all that is done I do a final proof reading of it and post it.

If you're not to busy some time, could I send you the work I plan on posting here? I can not post anything here yet because I only recently decided I would join here and move some of my existing work from other sites once I've done my homework on it as per the above mentioned. It'd be nice to have someone check it for me and give me some side notes on what I missed or where I miss punctuated.

Thanks in advance,

Harmonic Discord chapter 4 . 6/28/2008
Wow. Thank you, thank you, thank you for posting this. We really needed something like this on fpress - particularly the dialogue punctuation guide. I really like how you structured it - it's easy to understand and the examples are quite helpful. I'm sending as many people to this essay as possible.

Here are my suggestions for homonym additions -

'air' versus 'heir'

'effect' versus 'affect' - where effect is most commonly used as a noun, and affect as the verb. (Of course, then you have stuff like "to effect a change" and "He looked at her with a calm affect". One of my friends had a field day using effect-as-a-verb in her papers and correcting the teacher about it, lol)

'alter' and 'altar'

'Loose' versus 'lose'. Although this is not strictly a homonym, it's something I see all the time, and it annoys the hell out of me.
Elkica chapter 6 . 5/22/2008
Thank you so much for this, I really needed this.
Written chapter 5 . 2/22/2008
I AM SO GUILTY of misusing commas and semicolons and occasionally dashes. I'm glad I added this to my favorites now, because I really, really need this.
Written chapter 3 . 2/22/2008
I love the names that you're using.

I like to think that I'm clear on these grammar points, but I'm adding this to my favorites anyway, as a reference, and as tool to explain these rules to others.

(secretly, I know I need it...)
Written chapter 2 . 2/22/2008
My english teachers in college actually call me out on using too many different kinds of dialogue tags. they usually agree that it's good to mix it up a little, but to keep to 'said' and 'asked' as the tried and true, so that the dialogue can carry itself. that being said, if you see the word 'said' fifty times in a row, it's best to pull out some of the other words, because repetition sounds fakey.
Fractured Illusion chapter 6 . 8/18/2007

I've read this entire essay in one sitting, and I have to say, the knowledge given is quite helpful! Chapter 5 was particularly helpful for me, since semicolons have been quite the mystery to me :P

First chapter was the weakest to me though, since I felt everything was so obvious, har har.

Well, keep writing! Incredibly well done work on this one!

- Frac
Everything to you chapter 1 . 8/2/2007
I only read the first chapter of this but, it's really great advice! I'm going to start doing that with a new story I'm going to be writing soon. I have a lot of basic errors in most of my works so, I'm going to try what you said and fix my old errors.
79 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 4 5 .. Last Next »