Reviews for Ruatha's Grammar Review
iforgotmyname chapter 6 . 12/2/2008
This is like my own little handy grammar book- that's fun to read (I hope I used that hyphen/dash right...)! Thanks so much for typing this up, it'll be my guide!
kimichan84 chapter 1 . 11/2/2008
Thanks for this topic. I get a lot of reviews on other sites I write on about my grammar and spelling. Problem being no one tells me what I'm doing wrong there. As I am not English but Dutch, we adopt different rules where punctuation and grammar rules are concerned.

I'm doing all the things you mentioned already so when people tell me it's not punctuated right or there are spelling mistakes I usually return them a PM asking where I messed up, but they never PM me back to tell me why.

Usually before I add more to my stories I proof read it out loud to catch any mistakes my microsoft office didn't and to get back into the story. Then when it's finished I usually mail it to a friend who reads it and sends me the story back corrected. Once all that is done I do a final proof reading of it and post it.

If you're not to busy some time, could I send you the work I plan on posting here? I can not post anything here yet because I only recently decided I would join here and move some of my existing work from other sites once I've done my homework on it as per the above mentioned. It'd be nice to have someone check it for me and give me some side notes on what I missed or where I miss punctuated.

Thanks in advance,

Kimi.
C.M.F Wright chapter 4 . 6/28/2008
Wow. Thank you, thank you, thank you for posting this. We really needed something like this on fpress - particularly the dialogue punctuation guide. I really like how you structured it - it's easy to understand and the examples are quite helpful. I'm sending as many people to this essay as possible.

Here are my suggestions for homonym additions -

'air' versus 'heir'

'effect' versus 'affect' - where effect is most commonly used as a noun, and affect as the verb. (Of course, then you have stuff like "to effect a change" and "He looked at her with a calm affect". One of my friends had a field day using effect-as-a-verb in her papers and correcting the teacher about it, lol)

'alter' and 'altar'

'Loose' versus 'lose'. Although this is not strictly a homonym, it's something I see all the time, and it annoys the hell out of me.
Elkica chapter 6 . 5/22/2008
Thank you so much for this, I really needed this.
Written chapter 5 . 2/22/2008
I AM SO GUILTY of misusing commas and semicolons and occasionally dashes. I'm glad I added this to my favorites now, because I really, really need this.
Written chapter 3 . 2/22/2008
I love the names that you're using.

I like to think that I'm clear on these grammar points, but I'm adding this to my favorites anyway, as a reference, and as tool to explain these rules to others.

(secretly, I know I need it...)
Written chapter 2 . 2/22/2008
My english teachers in college actually call me out on using too many different kinds of dialogue tags. they usually agree that it's good to mix it up a little, but to keep to 'said' and 'asked' as the tried and true, so that the dialogue can carry itself. that being said, if you see the word 'said' fifty times in a row, it's best to pull out some of the other words, because repetition sounds fakey.
Fractured Illusion chapter 6 . 8/18/2007
Wow!

I've read this entire essay in one sitting, and I have to say, the knowledge given is quite helpful! Chapter 5 was particularly helpful for me, since semicolons have been quite the mystery to me :P

First chapter was the weakest to me though, since I felt everything was so obvious, har har.

Well, keep writing! Incredibly well done work on this one!

- Frac
Everything to you chapter 1 . 8/2/2007
I only read the first chapter of this but, it's really great advice! I'm going to start doing that with a new story I'm going to be writing soon. I have a lot of basic errors in most of my works so, I'm going to try what you said and fix my old errors.
Greatheart chapter 5 . 2/20/2007
I'm glad that someone who knows what they're talking about thought of writing something like this. It bothers me a lot to read stuff and find out that some people have no clue when it comes to basic grammar rules (not that I'm perfect myself-far from it, in fact). I think that I'll add this to my favorites, just for the possibility of more people discovering it.
your harbor chapter 1 . 7/26/2006
I really think this is going to help people out, so now I must add it to my favorites. *adds to favorites*
rrmehta364 chapter 1 . 5/12/2006
Grammar. I need help in this. So I'll read, and see if there is anything I miss.
LordK chapter 2 . 3/6/2006
*sigh* I hadn't even noticed this! Thanks for answering my questions, and in such a well organized and helpful way! Frankly, this isn't really a review, but rather a thank you note, so: thank you! From what I've read, this is a very intelligent, easy-to-follow FAQ. Thanks!

(BTW, yes, I'd love for you to read the poetry, as I've pretty much given up on novel writing for the present time.)
Brooke ORiley chapter 6 . 3/6/2006
Hey! Glad to see you're back! It's alright, I've been slacking, too. I literally started to read your latest chapter of "Foundation" about five times, and never finished. Don't ask me why, because it's nothing against you...I really don't know. Anyway, I'll get to that, but I don't have time this week. I'm home for spring break and don't have enough internet time to sit and read online. I just have time for checking email and posting. Or reading this, because it's short. Looks good, and I just have one comment, since I only skimmed and don't remember what the previous chapters cover. Did you go over its and it's? Besides then and than, that's probably one of my biggest pet peeves. And everyone seems to have trouble with it. Grr...

And in response to your review, I did see that one typo, just never reposted...and as for the tenses, I'm blaming it on the fact that my real-life John has terrible grammar. Seriously. It's terrible. Bad excuse, I know. I've gotten lazy. Maybe I should be shot...

Anyway, I'll come review that last chapter in a week or so, hopefully. And then maybe I'll take a look at that new story, too. There's always homework to be avoided... hehe
Alankria chapter 6 . 2/20/2006
Ah, good to see this explained. It helped to clarify a few things for me, so thanks for that.
88 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 .. Last Next »