Reviews for Ruatha's Grammar Review
Written chapter 2 . 2/22/2008
My english teachers in college actually call me out on using too many different kinds of dialogue tags. they usually agree that it's good to mix it up a little, but to keep to 'said' and 'asked' as the tried and true, so that the dialogue can carry itself. that being said, if you see the word 'said' fifty times in a row, it's best to pull out some of the other words, because repetition sounds fakey.
Fractured Illusion chapter 6 . 8/18/2007
Wow!

I've read this entire essay in one sitting, and I have to say, the knowledge given is quite helpful! Chapter 5 was particularly helpful for me, since semicolons have been quite the mystery to me :P

First chapter was the weakest to me though, since I felt everything was so obvious, har har.

Well, keep writing! Incredibly well done work on this one!

- Frac
Everything to you chapter 1 . 8/2/2007
I only read the first chapter of this but, it's really great advice! I'm going to start doing that with a new story I'm going to be writing soon. I have a lot of basic errors in most of my works so, I'm going to try what you said and fix my old errors.
Greatheart chapter 5 . 2/20/2007
I'm glad that someone who knows what they're talking about thought of writing something like this. It bothers me a lot to read stuff and find out that some people have no clue when it comes to basic grammar rules (not that I'm perfect myself-far from it, in fact). I think that I'll add this to my favorites, just for the possibility of more people discovering it.
your harbor chapter 1 . 7/26/2006
I really think this is going to help people out, so now I must add it to my favorites. *adds to favorites*
rrmehta364 chapter 1 . 5/12/2006
Grammar. I need help in this. So I'll read, and see if there is anything I miss.
LordK chapter 2 . 3/6/2006
*sigh* I hadn't even noticed this! Thanks for answering my questions, and in such a well organized and helpful way! Frankly, this isn't really a review, but rather a thank you note, so: thank you! From what I've read, this is a very intelligent, easy-to-follow FAQ. Thanks!

(BTW, yes, I'd love for you to read the poetry, as I've pretty much given up on novel writing for the present time.)
Brooke ORiley chapter 6 . 3/6/2006
Hey! Glad to see you're back! It's alright, I've been slacking, too. I literally started to read your latest chapter of "Foundation" about five times, and never finished. Don't ask me why, because it's nothing against you...I really don't know. Anyway, I'll get to that, but I don't have time this week. I'm home for spring break and don't have enough internet time to sit and read online. I just have time for checking email and posting. Or reading this, because it's short. Looks good, and I just have one comment, since I only skimmed and don't remember what the previous chapters cover. Did you go over its and it's? Besides then and than, that's probably one of my biggest pet peeves. And everyone seems to have trouble with it. Grr...

And in response to your review, I did see that one typo, just never reposted...and as for the tenses, I'm blaming it on the fact that my real-life John has terrible grammar. Seriously. It's terrible. Bad excuse, I know. I've gotten lazy. Maybe I should be shot...

Anyway, I'll come review that last chapter in a week or so, hopefully. And then maybe I'll take a look at that new story, too. There's always homework to be avoided... hehe
Alankria chapter 6 . 2/20/2006
Ah, good to see this explained. It helped to clarify a few things for me, so thanks for that.
snoopsbme chapter 6 . 2/19/2006
You know, I just love reading these. It's like your English pet peeve of the day. What fun!

I also wish such things that seem so fundamental to us weren't such elusive factors of the other half of the population!
iknowthethirdthingaboutpoetry chapter 1 . 2/18/2006
I have a question.

You know how when someone asks a friend what he thinks about a movie, that friend would reply with, "I *thought* it *was* blahblahblah" but then when he gets to the plot he switches to present tense? What is up with that?

Also, when can someone stop being present? For example, Shakespeare is long dead, but when I hear people talking about him, it's he does this and he does that, not he did this and that and whatnot. But he's... dead, and whatever he has/had done he does/did a long time ago.

In other words, please explain when/where/how to use and mix present tense and past tense. Apparently logic is subjective.

Much thanks.
Pheobe Meryll chapter 1 . 12/17/2005
I appreciate the...how shall I say...humble (?) tone of this essay. It's nice that you start out acknowledging you're not an english teacher or something. a lot of guides like this have been posted on fictionpress, however, many are by teens who THINK they are english majors but haven't even taken college enlgish one. so thank you for being so decent and reasonable.

I like your style and this paragraph appealed to me - "sometimes giving a copy to dear old Mom just isn't the best idea (especially if there's both a girl and a boy in the story, or maybe, just once, you used the word 'damn'). In that case, there's only one thing to do: POST IT ON FICTIONPRESS." hehe how true. very pithy advice.

don't know if I'll be reading this whole thing, but I thought I'd let you know I enjoyed it.
The 2nd Mrs de Winter chapter 4 . 10/6/2005
Hi, this has been really helpful for my grammar retarded self, but I have a homophone question for you: what's the deal with all right and alright. I've looked it up and I think I have it right, but Word keeps on having it come up as wrong . . .
Clodhopper chapter 2 . 9/10/2005
I've been reading through this and there's a bit of punctuation that I have for you to add. When someone is shouting or yelling a question, either ! or ? is used. NOT BOTH, PEOPLE! This is a mistake that I see all too often that needs to be addressed. If it is a question, it's better to use ? and then add a tag clarifying that the person is shouting. Just something I think you should add to this chapter. Also, that all words being emphasized NEED to be in italics, not CAPITALS. Capitalizing words that are not acronyms is distracting and takes away from what could possibly be a very good story.

~Ty
SisterMuse chapter 1 . 8/10/2005
Ok, I finally swallowed my pride and read your grammar review. One more thing I might add is that changing the format and font helps you see mistakes you may not have noticed.I wanted to ask you how the thesis went, and can I borrow your editors! I have been reading through Jennasis AGAIN (Yes I am obsessed) and I can't believe the errors I am finding! My sister and I both get lost in the story it seems... Is that concieted? To get lost in your own story? Oh well, back to correcting! Bye!
82 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 .. Last Next »