Reviews for Ruatha's Grammar Review
Eddie Wright chapter 1 . 9/22/2004
I'm glad that you've put this up. Lot's of people (including me, I found five minutes ago after reading your review) make mistakes.
Wow.
You really write long reviews, and I wanted to thank you, because people say 'yeah, your stories good', whearas you really do put helpfull reviews.
P.S. in my story, the two mercenaries are not real main characters, and the mage isn't meant to be fully explained yet. The first chapter is meant to be a kind of introduction.
snoopsbme chapter 4 . 9/21/2004
Changing the world one writer at a time...
Dirty Wallpaper chapter 4 . 9/21/2004
Wow, my english teacher is going to be thoroughly impressed when i use 'too' and 'to' in the right context, haha, for once! For now i too (note the...hopefully...correctness), can use 'too' and 'to' in the right contexts. Ah the rockingness.
I think you're doing more than a bit of alright in inserting humour into a humourless english context. Just the fact i, person with a basically non existent attention span, read it proves that statement.
Thanks for the email by the way :) and answering my question, i've been mulling over the 'too' one for quite a while. i'll reply to your email in here since its handy.
Ah! Good flow! Well, actually i've come up with a few possibilities of resolving my 3 person problem. I'll cause one to have a very mysterious accident, which leaves them unable to talk. Walla! Seeming as i'm only 16, i'm allowed to come up with these kinds of solutions, lol. Purely because i'm still able to be immature and blame it on sugar. But in all seriousness, i'll try it. Hopefully i can get my mind around it eventually.
Ok, now im pretty sure a hyphen is this baby here, right? ( - ). Now, i've never been sure of where to put them. As in, i know they are used, i just don't know *where* exactly. It's like having a tool, but having absolutely no idea how to use it. USELESS!
Yeah, i think i might check out some of your other works, knowing me i'll probably use one of them as a procrastination tactic while working on my history assignment (can you believe they actually gave me major work to do in the holidays?) ah! Teachers will just never learn.
Anyway, another great chapter. Excellent work, kudos!
ghenne04 chapter 4 . 9/20/2004
I have my first engineering prelim tomorrow, so maybe I shouldn't be on here reviewing your (look I used it correctly!) chapter. But that's ok, because I really liked this one! These are some of the biggest problems I have with the way people write - when they use the wrong word completely even though it may sound the same. One way I was taught to easily remember when to use the word "too" is that it has "too many 'o's" - in excess, or as you wrote it "sufficiently". Anyway, nice job - I hope people study this chapter until it is ingrained in their heads (look I used that one the right way too... and that one! yay!) :) Hmm.. yeah - I think I should get to (look there it is again!) studying.. Sorry - it's late, I'm tired, I'm stressed, so I too (ha!) am making corny jokes. Maybe it's an engineer thing? Hehe.. Keep writing and update soon!
Dirty Wallpaper chapter 3 . 9/19/2004
Hehe, to be quite honest, i stopped writing a chapter once i got up to a bit with about 3 people speaking - i was at a loss of what to do. i think i still am, but i'll be able to keep your tactics in mind. Ah! Another chapter, i now crown you queen of all things english related *nods* and since you haven't berated the concept of questions, me thinks i'll just go right ahead:
1. what is the rule concerning 'to' and 'too'? i asked my dad and he went on a mission to find out at work, even getting his collegues involved. Sadly, he failed due to extensive english jargin.
2. when do you use hyphens?
lol, totally taking advantage of this goldmine idea of yours. Great chapter A(and great exerts from your story as well, are you intending to go pro?), i'm going to put it on my favourites list so i can refer back to it. No doubt i'll have to, heh.
kudos!
AB92Norman chapter 1 . 9/19/2004
Wow, I'm glad I've found this. Now when people are like :Read my story! and then its got tons of stupid mistakes I can just send them to this. You are a life saver. thanks a lot, you've saved me a lot of time and a lot of energy that I don't have to waste being mean.
ghenne04 chapter 3 . 9/19/2004
I agree completely with what you've said in this update. I don't mind when authors leave out the character names for a little bit, as long as it is still easy to figure out which character is speaking (like you did in the part between Kerdon Nistadegel and the American Ambassador). So at times, Radyn can be right - it is ok to do away with verbs, especially if the characters are in the middle of a fast paced conversation. But thank you for elaborating on the topic of dialogue.
NewbiaTheElf chapter 2 . 9/18/2004
Yay! Someone who can write quotes! :D
The first chapter was very useful, although it wasn't really about grammar. The second chapter is the same. The only question I'm left with is when the character ends in an ellipses. Is it "Hum...," said Bob or "Hum..." said Bob? Other than that excellent. :)
I think for the next chapter you should talk about what circumstances you can use all the puncuations for, like a semi colon or where to put your apostraphe.
BigStan chapter 1 . 9/18/2004
I really enjoyed reading this. Is'alrighty' a real word? It is interesting that someone would use that 'word' in an essay that is preaching about proper grammer.
Dirty Wallpaper chapter 2 . 9/18/2004
ah! i love you! surely i have been waiting for this miracle, this miracle of teachation!
this was so great, especially chapter 2 - for as long as i've been writing stories (which hasnt been very long at all) i have guessed where the punctuation went and then sent it off to a beta reader feeling uber guilty at my enormous amounts of ignorance. but now i can actually do it properly! thanks to you! *UBER HUG*
i wish i could give you some constructive criticism but sadly, you rock to much, so i can't.
ha, kudos! and keep it up, this was a fantastic idea :)
Radyn chapter 2 . 9/18/2004
In real life, who actually "exclaims" what they say. Or "ponders aloud"? I think you should just do away with verbs entirely. People don't want to read "he said" or "she shouted" or they replied" every line. It breaks up the flow of the dialogue.
daphnegray78 chapter 2 . 9/18/2004
This should prove most helpful to a lot of people...the only thing that I might suggest, is re-wording number one. I understood it, because I already knew the rule, but even then it took me a few times of reading it before I understood what you were getting at. It might conpletely confuse those who don't know the rule. But, that's only a suggestion. It may actually make sense to everyone *but* me. :p I would like to thank you, though, for posting abnout this topic. It's a great idea that will end up helping many. Great work, Ruatha! :)
Daphne
daphnegray78 chapter 1 . 9/18/2004
o.0 Am I such a geek that I actually enjoyed reading your post about grammar? *considers this* Probably...but, I think it's excusable since it was sprinkled with very humorous ways of explaining simple ideas, don't you? I'm sure that not only will it help me improve my writing, but others' writings, too. Great work on this.
Daphne
ghenne04 chapter 2 . 9/18/2004
I think one of the things many people need to work on in their stories is clarifying which character is speaking. I've read a lot of stories where two or more characters are having a conversation, but I get lost as to which one is speaking, simply because the author doesn't remind the reader every few lines which person is saying which sentence. The grammar and punctuation are both very important, but since the title of this chapter is "Basic Rules for Writing Dialogue," I think it would be helpful to remind people to clarify who is speaking.
ghenne04 chapter 1 . 9/18/2004
This is a really good idea! I get so frustrated when people make stupid mistakes when they write. That's one of the reasons I really enjoy reading your work, because there are almost no stupid mistakes. I'm an engineer too, so I don't particularly care for all the terms and rules of English grammar, but I do appreciate when people make an effort for their stories to make sense. Hopefully all the writers on this site will read your hints and I won't have to struggle to get through a story that otherwise would have been very enjoyable.
75 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5