Reviews for Ruatha's Grammar Review
Loki Mischeif-Maker chapter 4 . 10/12/2004
Normally I review chapter by chapter, but normally I'm reading a story and not an essay, and in this case it's easier to sum some things up here (fortunately, those are two homophones I've yet to see miss used . . . but now that I've said it I will next story I pick up!).

Good points, very good points, especially about the dialogue (MY personal pet peeve is bad dialgue, so I'm glad to see something to refer people to), and the explanations and your suggestions were very good. Homophones . . . frankly they scare me sometimes, but you did a good job making them amusing and clear.

All in all, awesome essay!
Cheers!
Loki Mischeif-Maker chapter 1 . 10/10/2004
Yay! Finally, a good essay helping people edit (probably the worst-done writing thing on fictionpress; I know I have problems with it, too). I can sompletely see where your techniques are coming from, and I agree with many of them (especiallyreading it aloud- no wonder my sisters think I'm crazy).

PS Thanks for reviewing the Malemalum Cult!
Cheers!
Eddie Wright chapter 4 . 9/23/2004
Err... this may sound a bit stupid but... I don't know how you use semi colons. I've never been told. Please could you explain it?
Eddie Wright chapter 2 . 9/22/2004
Oh yeah, just thought I'd also add...
I do appreciate your long reviews. I've already gone and sorted out the mistakes I could (I'm sorry, but the werewolves will have to be lived with).
Erm... If it's not to much to ask, I'd really like you to read the other chapters and say what you think of those.
Thanks!
Eddie Wright chapter 1 . 9/22/2004
I'm glad that you've put this up. Lot's of people (including me, I found five minutes ago after reading your review) make mistakes.
Wow.
You really write long reviews, and I wanted to thank you, because people say 'yeah, your stories good', whearas you really do put helpfull reviews.
P.S. in my story, the two mercenaries are not real main characters, and the mage isn't meant to be fully explained yet. The first chapter is meant to be a kind of introduction.
snoopsbme chapter 4 . 9/21/2004
Changing the world one writer at a time...
Dirty Wallpaper chapter 4 . 9/21/2004
Wow, my english teacher is going to be thoroughly impressed when i use 'too' and 'to' in the right context, haha, for once! For now i too (note the...hopefully...correctness), can use 'too' and 'to' in the right contexts. Ah the rockingness.
I think you're doing more than a bit of alright in inserting humour into a humourless english context. Just the fact i, person with a basically non existent attention span, read it proves that statement.
Thanks for the email by the way :) and answering my question, i've been mulling over the 'too' one for quite a while. i'll reply to your email in here since its handy.
Ah! Good flow! Well, actually i've come up with a few possibilities of resolving my 3 person problem. I'll cause one to have a very mysterious accident, which leaves them unable to talk. Walla! Seeming as i'm only 16, i'm allowed to come up with these kinds of solutions, lol. Purely because i'm still able to be immature and blame it on sugar. But in all seriousness, i'll try it. Hopefully i can get my mind around it eventually.
Ok, now im pretty sure a hyphen is this baby here, right? ( - ). Now, i've never been sure of where to put them. As in, i know they are used, i just don't know *where* exactly. It's like having a tool, but having absolutely no idea how to use it. USELESS!
Yeah, i think i might check out some of your other works, knowing me i'll probably use one of them as a procrastination tactic while working on my history assignment (can you believe they actually gave me major work to do in the holidays?) ah! Teachers will just never learn.
Anyway, another great chapter. Excellent work, kudos!
ghenne04 chapter 4 . 9/20/2004
I have my first engineering prelim tomorrow, so maybe I shouldn't be on here reviewing your (look I used it correctly!) chapter. But that's ok, because I really liked this one! These are some of the biggest problems I have with the way people write - when they use the wrong word completely even though it may sound the same. One way I was taught to easily remember when to use the word "too" is that it has "too many 'o's" - in excess, or as you wrote it "sufficiently". Anyway, nice job - I hope people study this chapter until it is ingrained in their heads (look I used that one the right way too... and that one! yay!) :) Hmm.. yeah - I think I should get to (look there it is again!) studying.. Sorry - it's late, I'm tired, I'm stressed, so I too (ha!) am making corny jokes. Maybe it's an engineer thing? Hehe.. Keep writing and update soon!
Dirty Wallpaper chapter 3 . 9/19/2004
Hehe, to be quite honest, i stopped writing a chapter once i got up to a bit with about 3 people speaking - i was at a loss of what to do. i think i still am, but i'll be able to keep your tactics in mind. Ah! Another chapter, i now crown you queen of all things english related *nods* and since you haven't berated the concept of questions, me thinks i'll just go right ahead:
1. what is the rule concerning 'to' and 'too'? i asked my dad and he went on a mission to find out at work, even getting his collegues involved. Sadly, he failed due to extensive english jargin.
2. when do you use hyphens?
lol, totally taking advantage of this goldmine idea of yours. Great chapter A(and great exerts from your story as well, are you intending to go pro?), i'm going to put it on my favourites list so i can refer back to it. No doubt i'll have to, heh.
kudos!
AB92Norman chapter 1 . 9/19/2004
Wow, I'm glad I've found this. Now when people are like :Read my story! and then its got tons of stupid mistakes I can just send them to this. You are a life saver. thanks a lot, you've saved me a lot of time and a lot of energy that I don't have to waste being mean.
ghenne04 chapter 3 . 9/19/2004
I agree completely with what you've said in this update. I don't mind when authors leave out the character names for a little bit, as long as it is still easy to figure out which character is speaking (like you did in the part between Kerdon Nistadegel and the American Ambassador). So at times, Radyn can be right - it is ok to do away with verbs, especially if the characters are in the middle of a fast paced conversation. But thank you for elaborating on the topic of dialogue.
NewbiaTheElf chapter 2 . 9/18/2004
Yay! Someone who can write quotes! :D
The first chapter was very useful, although it wasn't really about grammar. The second chapter is the same. The only question I'm left with is when the character ends in an ellipses. Is it "Hum...," said Bob or "Hum..." said Bob? Other than that excellent. :)
I think for the next chapter you should talk about what circumstances you can use all the puncuations for, like a semi colon or where to put your apostraphe.
BigStan chapter 1 . 9/18/2004
I really enjoyed reading this. Is'alrighty' a real word? It is interesting that someone would use that 'word' in an essay that is preaching about proper grammer.
Dirty Wallpaper chapter 2 . 9/18/2004
ah! i love you! surely i have been waiting for this miracle, this miracle of teachation!
this was so great, especially chapter 2 - for as long as i've been writing stories (which hasnt been very long at all) i have guessed where the punctuation went and then sent it off to a beta reader feeling uber guilty at my enormous amounts of ignorance. but now i can actually do it properly! thanks to you! *UBER HUG*
i wish i could give you some constructive criticism but sadly, you rock to much, so i can't.
ha, kudos! and keep it up, this was a fantastic idea :)
Radyn chapter 2 . 9/18/2004
In real life, who actually "exclaims" what they say. Or "ponders aloud"? I think you should just do away with verbs entirely. People don't want to read "he said" or "she shouted" or they replied" every line. It breaks up the flow of the dialogue.
79 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 Next »