Reviews for Spirit of Boudicea
PrettyWordFreak chapter 1 . 1/7/2012
Wow. This wasvso beautiful! I could pratically see everything! You used just enough discription, not to much or not to little. Wren is such an amazing character! Roman Mythology has always been my favorite - well, any kind of mythology to be honest. This has stolen my heart. I can see this getting published! :)
The Unbreakable chapter 1 . 9/22/2004
I always had a soft spot for Roman literature, and this was no different. Absolutely stunning!
LadySapphireNight chapter 1 . 9/20/2004
Hey!Great introduction of the characters and great descriptions. Keep it up! :)
Holliday1081 chapter 1 . 9/20/2004
This is a great start. I have to say, I'm hooked already.
I really like your writing style. The way you give words to Wren's thoughts is very poetic.
"If I was Roman I would have fallen down in worship. If I was 16 years old again, watching my father die, I would have killed him. Yet I was neither, so I stared at the face I had only seen before on coins and in the canopy high above the blood; Emperor Lucius Aelius Aurelius Commodus."
-This line is absolutely beautiful.
I really like Wren. She seems so complex and so simple at the same time. She fights like a man, dresses like a woman, loves her sister dearly, worships faithfully, and yet all she seems to want is freedom. You give her plausible motives for everyone of her actions, and you don't write her as an overly strong woman or a foolish woman. She's very real, and very believable. The bit where she tells her fallen adversary that he fought honorable was wonderfully bittersweet.
You also really convey the tension between her and the emperor very well.
As I said, this is a wonderful beginning and I look forward to more!
metropolis noir chapter 1 . 9/20/2004
It was an interesting introduction. I can't wait to read more!