Reviews for How to Successfully Complete a Successful Story!
Goldenrod111 chapter 1 . 10/12/2009
Very good guide! I laughed more reading this than I usually do reading comedy, and laughinggood! I would like to make a few comments, though.

A few months ago, I decided that I was tired of writing the beginning of one of my stories, so I moved to the middle, and wrote quite a few sections from there. Later, I went back to the beginning of the story, and it rapidly evolved enough for the sections I wrote to be (almost) completely irrelevant. I don't use written outlines (pencil and paper or computer), but I do know the main events that I want my stories to pass through, and I write them basically by connecting the dots. However, the stories rapidly change between the dots, and require the adaption of future events. As another example, I have just started writing another story, but already have a bare-bones outline completely memorized. In the first couple of paragraphs, though, an unplanned character basically walked into a scene, and, later, I pulled another character out of thin air. Both of them have changed the way I imagine some of those important events. They didn't change the basic storyline, but they did change the story.

I guess this method contradicts several sections. I don't plan my characters, they evolve. Several times, they seem to want to do/avoid something that I didn't know they cared about. I don't force them to follow my story. I change the story to fit that act. Left to their own devices, the characters will quickly build their own personalities. The only thing I have to watch out for is one turning into a Mary Sue. However, I have not had any problems with that (yet), as the characters want to be realistic, not perfect.

Similarly, I don't plan my chapters. While I have not yet actually finished a story, I have also not felt as good about one as the one I am currently writing. Writer's block helps me. I was planning a story that I thought would be very fun, but I was not able to get far enough into the first sentence to write it down. I eventually went through what I had planned of the story, and discovered that it wouldn't work. I had wasted the time I tried to start the story, but at least I hadn't gotten halfway through it before having to abandon it.

I think the only way my method works is because I have a large imagination. I can imagine myself as each character, see the world forming around me (though both are more basic ideas than detailed pictures, it seems as though I see something deeper than if I, for example, saw my character leaning against a tree instead of feeling my character leaning against the tree). I can imagine each person to be real, and from that determine what they would do. For me, it's almost as though I become "one" with the world I am writing about. I have no doubt that, without that ability, I would have an infinitely harder time writing.

This also goes against the second-to-last point of section six (active vs. passive voice). However, I haven't had any trouble with it. I naturally talk in active voice, so when I write, I don't unconsciously try to use passive. This could be a tricky point for anyone trying to follow my method, though. Be careful! One thing I have noticed, though, is that my descriptions are often lopsided. I don't visualize people well, so I hardly describe them (I also like the way this allows readers to build the way the character looks-I really dislike imagining a character and then reading a conflicting description), but I occasionally fill a large paragraph or two with just a description of the surroundings.
It's Not The Same chapter 1 . 9/19/2009
I didn't yawn at any part at all, no matter how long they seem. I actually quiet enjoyed the guide, seeing that I would have loved to finish my [already deleted] stories.

Thank you for this guide, if I wouldn't have found it, maybe the next story I [will somehow] write would be just until chapter one or two! Because my inspiration hits and runs, never coming back. And procrastination is the reason why I never call inspiration by myself, unless there's another story I would love to write (but will be left hanging in the end.)
TheAspiringAuthor chapter 1 . 9/8/2009
Wow, great guide! I stumbled across your article while looking at similar ones online and can't help but think that yours the best one I've read so far. Not only did you thoroughly explain each of your tips, but you also did it in a way that was entertaining and engaging. I will definitely reference this while planning and writing my story (whenever that occurs) and just wanted to drop a note saying how glad I am that you posted this!
jaeeeee chapter 1 . 9/7/2009
awesome! this really helped me out a lot. gracias!
the rational hedgehog chapter 1 . 8/30/2009
Thanks- I'm sure this'll help me a lot. :D

Although, it was rather nice, getting free veggies...
hydrocancellation chapter 1 . 8/23/2009
Thanks for the advice. I'm using the tips on my story now. You rock! D
Felicis chapter 1 . 8/10/2009
This seems to cover all the feelings/obstacles/etc. I've had while writing. Absolutely hilarious :)
PegasusWings chapter 1 . 8/6/2009
lol, nice Essay. I got to say that the first thing that attracted me to this was the 200 something reviews that it got. And i can see why now. No good story that is worth it's weight is ever without reviews. But i gotten love this essay it has alot of good soild advice without it being boring. Because boring is what we all hate. :) great job!
Kina Kalamari chapter 1 . 7/20/2009
This was awesome! It was informational AND funny, which is rare. And it gave me some decent tips for getting over my ever-impending writer's block. Anyway, huge thumbs up. )
Enhancemynightmare72 chapter 1 . 7/17/2009
This helps... a lot.

I've just given up on every single one of my stories because of the poor grammar and lack of plot.

Ugh, truth is, I just get too excited, so I can't sit still and plan, I've just gotta write write write!

Anyway, great work... I'm sure you've helped loads of aspiring writers.
Alysia Of The Pen chapter 1 . 7/15/2009
As an absolutely terrible writer, for this I love you forever.

*lets it sink in*

Seriously. I found you through someone I know from and holy crap, isn't this the perfect thing for me to find? Something that can help me finish those awful fanfics I started, what, 2 years ago (?), and write other stuff for both sites.

I'm such a dork I actually printed this out, annotated and underlined the best stuff, and am now using it along with a story.

. . . *prays that author will not bury her in carrots in a copyright-related fury*

I love this because it really is useful, even with all the humor and various rambles and rants, which are good but sometimes make up so much of the guide in question that it becomes useless parody material. Examples are interesting, guide is comprehensive and easy-to-use, and . . . this is the first thing I am favoriting on this site. :) THANK YOU FOR WRITING THIS!

Story: faved

Author: faved

Author: subscribed to.
Maplewing chapter 1 . 7/8/2009
I suppose that by posting this you have bestowed a whole lot of pressure upon yourself to write excellently composed, no-delay, beautifully summarized stories, hmm? Congratulations. XD

Thanks for writing it so that everyone else may benefit, though! ;D
Brenda Agaro chapter 1 . 7/2/2009
Wow! That was awesome. Definitely a great guide to writing a good story. Thanks so much! :D
entity.unkown chapter 1 . 7/2/2009
lol interesting and potentially helpful :] thanks
loolabell chapter 1 . 6/30/2009
Ugh. I need this kind of therapy. I got writer's block, a bit sad from lack of interest, and just plain stopped writing. I have part of the next chapter, some scenes from the end...but can't manage to continue. Help! PM me? Please? I have no idea what I'm doing wrong! Is the trick in to continue writing? I'm going nuts trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong.
356 | « Prev Page 1 .. 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 18 .. Last Next »