Reviews for Sanguis
Dr. Tamwe chapter 1 . 8/24/2002
It seems your poem has generated some controversy here, which is perfectly alright because it's poetry after all. However, if you don't mind me responding to the controversy as well as the poem, just let me say that stupidity and depression are not positively correlated- in fact, it's often the most intelligent people who succumb to depression. I think though that your style was concise and coherent, and that you said quite a lot without unecessary words. I'm not crazy about the last stanza, it seems like you tried too hard to make it fit, but still this is a good piece.
The Angry Generalization chapter 1 . 4/21/2001
Ooooh, Latin terms making my head spin. Sanguis is a personality type? I need a dictionary.

Well, good old Mr. Funk&Wagnalls says sanguis is Latin for blood. But it is also the base for words like

Sanguinary- 1)attended with bloodshed,

2)consisting of blood, or

3)bloodthirsy; and

Sanguine- 1)of cheerful happy disposition,

2)ruddy; robust,

3)of, like, or full of blood, or

4)Bloodthirsty.(obsolete)

Thank you Funk & Wagnalls!

Ok, you're using sanguis to mean having happy blood? Ok, everything makes sense now! Err... now I don't understand why you used Jupiter in that last stanza. Either it has to do with mythology, or you couldn't think of a rhyme. It works, either way! Righto, now I can actually review this complicated pile of vocabulary!

This seems to be describing self-pity more than depression. I just about agree with DreamElement on this. You speak of a person using self-pity becasue it lets them focus on themself, moaning "Oh, don't speak of your troubles or your happiness to me! Look how sad *I* am! Look at what happened to *me*!" The only true depression is the clinical one where chemicals are messed up in the body. All else is self-pity.

With all that clear in my head, This poem is stupendous! I agree with you! Why be sad when you can be happy? Even if you are sad, at my age, there usually is no real reason to be! All my friends like to complian about all the small insignificant problems in their life. We're only 13 or something! How much can *really* be bad when we're this young (unless it's a special case)! We have clothes, we have food, we have family, we can go to school, we live in the richest country in the world! Anything else, chanses are it'll be over in a week. So, be happy! It suits your face better.

And that was the end of my rant about happiness, self-pity, complaining, and the like. Y'all come back now, ya hear!
Roren chapter 1 . 4/19/2001
i wish i understood this...but my vocabulary is that of a fourteen year old (since im fourteen). sanguis is a personality type...melancho...melancholy? je ne comprends pas...though im sure it makes sense somehow...ill come back to it when i'm older...just writing a review cuz i read it...it's the polite thing to do.-but i think if you're saying you can get out of depression if you want because happiness is something anyone can have...i agree-ive been clinically depressed, but my mom couldnt afford therapy (-.-) so i got out of it myself...i still suffer from relapses but i have faith that i have a purpose for living.
DawningFlames chapter 1 . 4/19/2001
i agree that self pity is deffinatly selfish and weak, because it's indulgence that could lead to depression. but depression is also a clinical condition which is caused by different chemicals in thge blood, and a person is not guilty of having clinical depression, and it is deffinatly not stupid to be depressed. is completely uncontrolable, and the scariest thing in the worlds. no one wants to be depressed...self pity mnight be a better word, that's voluntarily feeling bad because it's the easy way out. please, don't use stupid in terms of depression, it's not stupid, it's pure, unexplained pain. but otherwise, changing the word depression to self-pity, i agree. happiness is the better, and more availabe choice.
Anonymous chapter 1 . 2/22/2001
Fuck you! You f*cking ! If happiness really is that easy to claim, there wouldn't be depression in this world. If you yourself don't have depression, I'd think it's best for you to understand other people and show more compassion. You are the self-centered one, so don't even start saying how self-centered other people are.
traeumenHerz chapter 1 . 1/24/2001
*claps* Bravo! Happiness is not often rated so. I adore (not really, but I like to use dif. words for each review, but I still like your poem a LOT) your poem, and your use of many different words with no repitition and a real meaning!
StarGlider chapter 1 . 1/11/2001
Wow...that's really kinda cool. Deep, and meaningful. But there's something about being depressed that's indescribable, and sometimes your mind blocks out all signs happiness...