Reviews for Transsexuals
HeWhoHoldsThePen chapter 1 . 5/16/2010
Actually, the correct word for what you are talking about is intersex. Transsexuals are those who are born into the wrong body, and take hormones and get surgery to reach their true gender. (I'm a female to male transsexual. or FTM)
Dameon Kuroshiro chapter 1 . 9/13/2009
Actually people with genitals of both the male and female gender are called intersexual.

A transsexual is a person who has undergone sex reasignment surgery to make the opposite gender of the one they were born with.

A transgender person has not undergone surgery, but knows they belong to the opposite sex of the one they were born with. Most of them crossdress. Not all of these people undergo surgery later.

Before writting something like this, you'd might want to get your facts straight.

Dameon Kuroshiro
Akuma chapter 1 . 11/7/2008
While this was an interesting read, I thought I would take the time to point out a few things.

Biologically, there are only two sexes. Male and female. This is determined by chromosomes. X an Y, respectively. A female has two X chromosomes, a male has both X and Y.

Gender, however, is a much more ambiguous thing. Socially, there are typically two genders: woman and man. Gender has little to do with biological sex and more to do with how that person presents themselves. Gender refers to the social roles, behaviors and activities that society considers appropriate for males or females.

I wouldn't call transgenderism a "mutation" as one reviewer put it. Certainly it's possible that is an abnormality from birth; many studies have been conducted to locate a gene that may explain why some people are transgendered.

Ok, so we've established that there are only two bioligical sexes. However, it's possible for there to many genders. Not only do you have man and woman, but also transsexed man and woman, intersexed, androgynous and so forth. It's pretty unlimited really, in the ways that a person can perceive their gender identity.

But you are certainly right...each of these individuals still deserves the respect given to anyone else.
chitoryu12 chapter 1 . 3/22/2005
Actually, trannies have been proven not to exist.
Rach chapter 1 . 10/9/2004
HI!. I have heard of it on TV once but I didn't think people called them transexual I thought they were people who willing changed gender like my uncle.
anyway good work
see ya
Leigh Hunt chapter 1 . 10/8/2004
Wow, more than 2 genders, thats something. Here I thought transgendered people were just confused weakling who can't even accept the body they were with. But it turns out that they are just one of the 9 genders/variations that are possible in nature. I coin a new word, multisexual.
Stargate4003 chapter 1 . 10/8/2004
While I agree to some degree, I also disagree.
Children should not be taught about sex or other things like that (things that might offend their parents) until they are older, like 13.
And while the lines of gender should be erased, it also shouldn't. Women should be able to wear pants without being scorned, but skirts were made, specifically, with women in mind.
If a man wants to wear make-up, skirts, and frilly things that people design (that WOMEN design) specifically for women, then he should find something like that that men made for men or that was made for anybody in mind.
After all, in medieval times, men wore tights.
And if somebody wants to make gender-specific clothes lines or toy lines, let's let them. After all, we'll destroy Barbie if we do otherwise, and then you'll ahve a bunch of pissed off 6-year-old girls burning down your house.
XD
Genius-Ben chapter 1 . 10/6/2004
Despite what you may hear on TV there are still only two genders in our world. "Transexuals" are a result of genetic mutations that occur during conception. These genetic mutations are, in turn, a result of the fall and consequential cursing of mankind, recorded in Genesis. Being born transsexual is comparable to being born with diseases, missing limbs or even extra limbs. It is tragic and unfortunate but that's just the way life is in a cursed world. Obviously, when the mutations that occur at your birth involve sexual hormones and organs, well... that will always present it's own unique set of problems. But this is no reason for us to jump to conclusions about the arrival of a "new" gender. Our understanding of sex is perverted enough as it is.
I agree completely, however, that we must treat everyone with respect, regardless of whatever problems they were born with.
g21lto chapter 1 . 10/6/2004
i really liked this essay. I agree that it's sad that we feel the need, as a society, to set such rigid male/female lines. Transexuals especially have it tough, along with gays, lesbians, and bisexuals - though i think i've seen statistics somewhere that it's worse for transsexuals. who knows? I think it's great that you got to learn about the topic, and I think your experience lends credibility to the idea of educating people about gender/sexual diversity, since many people simply don't know it exists, or don't believe that it does.
Tiefling chapter 1 . 10/6/2004
Well put. I enjoyed reading it.
Just a couple of little nipicks you might want to fix for the sake of clarity:
' Children are growing up in today's society unbeknownst to the fact that there is something different than just male and female.'
'Unbeknownst to' means 'not known to', not 'not knowing', so it sounds like you are saying that the fact doesn't know about the children. 'Unaware of' might be better.
'Made me realize that this subject is not as educated as it should be,'
I think you probably mean that people are not as educated about the subject as they should be. The subject itself cannot be educated.
'that there should be more time and effort taken in the school systems to discuss this area of gender. '
That would be good to see, but it would have to be handled pretty sensitively to keep some religious people from getting angry about it.