Reviews for This is so Retarded
A girl named Cecille chapter 8 . 5/31/2010
After reading these chapters, I thought I should give my own opinion (just for the heck of it).

I feel that your anger is being wasted on people who don't care and never will. While I understand the frustration, being angry is just something I can't stand to be myself. It feels wrong for me to get angry when I know they don't mean any harm. Don't get me wrong, it's important to stand up for what you believe. And now you get to hear why I understand your frustration so well, though anyone who is reading this can feel free to skip the next paragraph if they wish.

This past year, it became a "thing" in my class/grade/school to use the word "Jew" as a derogatory term. Being Jewish myself, it sort of stung, but I'm well liked, and I knew they meant no harm to me. I couldn't make myself get angry about something so ridiculous. It's enough for me to know that people accept *me*, even if they don't accept the religion as a whole. That's just the sort of place we live.

My friends, however, were outraged on my behalf, and on behalf of their other Jewish friends, but they wouldn't say anything about it because they felt it wasn't their place because *they* "aren't Jews." I feel that people, such as my friends, should speak their mind when they find something offensive, whether they are the direct targets or not. I may not get angry, but those who do, in my opinion, have the right to express it in any way, shape, or form.

So, while I don't encourage any negative feelings towards anyone for something such as this, I most definitely commend you for speaking your mind properly since you feel that someone you love has been offended!

(I'm a 14 year old girl, just so you know.)
moongazer7 chapter 1 . 9/8/2009
Yes, that tends to be a big problem with the mainstream disabilities groups. I know since I am blind myself that a lot of the NFB or ACB members, which are both blind groups take offense when people use the word blind in the normal vocabulary. I seriously don't see the problem. I mean, isn't retarded, blind, deaf, mute, and all these words just words? What's there to get upset about?
KLH chapter 8 . 2/24/2009
thank you so much for writing this.

i have an 18 year old brother who has many disabilities including epilepsy. he is the greatest brother a person could ask for, even though sometimes he gets on my last nerve.

also, in case you need another story/situation for your essay/complaint, i have one for you.

last summer i was out with two of my friends. when we got home, my mom asked me to go check on my brother, as he was in the bathtub. i walked into the bathroom, and my brother was post-seizure unconcious in the bathtub. it was the scariest moment of my life. i then experienced an out-of-body experience. i pulled him out of the tub and screamed for help, although i don't remember deciding to do either. that memory will hunt me for the rest of my life, knowing what could have happened, what i could have lost.

like you, i correct people every time i hear "retarded" used as an insult.

it has lost me friends and gained me enemies, but i don't care. i love my brother more than anything, and nobody's stupidity or ignorance is going to change that.
Purrow chapter 3 . 4/11/2005
ONE more thing. Well, maybe a couple. Well, reflections on welchs828's responses. NUMBER ONE. DO NOT EVEN SAY THAT FERGIE IS THEIR SEX APPEAL. She is an EXTREMELY talented artist (Artist! Not some kind of idiot or delinquint, and ARTIST), who is extremely accomplished at singing. Plus, she IS sexy. She works out everyday, and she works for it, so it would sound to me like someone's a little jealous. She's got it, so godammit, she's going to flaunt TWO. Maybe Printz WAS trying to stir things up. There needs to be some controversy and argument, or life would get boring, but NO, Paige would NEVER want any kind of argument. In the immortal words, LET'S GET IT STARTED! Stir things up, get it started! Another quote from Hey Mama, 'Dance to the drama!'.

OK, and, Anon E. Muss, this isn't a jab at your brother, rather a jab at something really stupid that welchs828 said. Oh, yes Paige. I'm so jealous of her brother. I sure wish that I had down syndrome too! no.

Oh goody, Paige is writing to them too! Yes, I'm sure they'll be on MTV next week;'The up and coming Hip Hop group, the Black Eyed Peas have cancelled the release of Monkey Businiss, scheduled to come out late May, because of a letter sent to them by a girl who was a little unhappy with their lyrics. There are rumors of the group breaking up.'Oh yeah, when pigs fly and the French shave their legs. Oh no! I just said something quoteunquote Politiically incorrect! Oh no! Whahahahahaha I'm SO freaking . Soo mad. Sorry to keep bothering you and your little 'Down with the BEP' groupies, but as Fergie says in 'Shut up', 'I've never been a quitter/but I do deserve better.' Oh, and in response to welchs828's little jab at Keith Harris, or whoever wrote that response;Sure! He could've gotten a dictionary, but that's part of the originality of the Black Eyed Peas. Like wil. , he usually writes things like they sound, although he could type them correctly if he wanted to, because wil's an EDUCATED person. He's not some idiot who talks about things he doesn't know about...(hm...not like anybody does that around here *glares pointedly at Anon E. Muss)

OMG. OK. Paige, I just found one of the dumbest things you've said yet. You said, "...talking about subjects he doesn't know anything about and prejudging people..."in response to Printz's response. OK, JUST STOP that you, Anon E. Muss, and your little fan club are doing right now is exactly what Paige just said. You are talking about subjects you do not know anything about, AND! WORST OF ALL! You are prejudging people who you have never even met. That's what this whole thing is about! You haven't listened to enough music by the Peas to judge them. You (Paige and Anon E. Muss) are so blinded in your ingnorant anger that you can't see past the lyrics and typos to get over yourselves and see what the songs and life is actually about.
Purrow chapter 4 . 4/11/2005
Wow. I'm just so completely in awe at all of this. And I think that I can pretty much answer your question about if they responded to your friend. I honestly think that no one from the Peas should have to put up with you. However, I believe that the Peas are the kind of considerate people who would actually respond to you, although they do not deserve to have to talk to someone like you. Ah! I'm just so frustrated...you are so ignorant! Well, of course, you'll probably grow up to be like Tipper Gore (look it up), and ruin good music for everyone, ranting on about how the Black Eyed Peas are so terrible, and how they just hate your brother so much. Oh, and I would really appreciate it if you would review yourself or email me about this...I'd like some kind of response...ahh...listening to the Peas right now...shut up just shut up shut up just shut up shut up, shut it up, just shut up shut up_ ahh, how coincidental...

PS-welchs828 showed me this essay/petition/rant about the Peas, thinking that it would make me change my mind about the Black Eyed Peas, but it looks like her little plan backfired...
Purrow chapter 7 . 4/8/2005
Wow. There's just so much to say. First of all, Printz made a very good response to your letter. And you, being so immature, write something like ' I swear I lose brain cells everytime I read one of his letters.' Well aren't you cool now? Oh, and really, do you think that number one, anyone but you and your little friends would sign a petition like that, and number two, that you're going to bring down the wonderful Black Eyed Peas by signing a petition. Geez. Oh, and by the way, you want the Peas to apologize about what they sing, well why do you think they made 'Let's Get it Started'? And I don't know what you want, for the Peas and Printz to get down on hand and knee in front of you, and say 'Please forgive us, we're such terrible, terrible people, oh no.' Wow. I think you realy need to get a life. The Peas are very original, creative people, and I think that I can represent all Black Eyed Peas fans when I quote Printz; "...when you attack someone's love and passion, you are attacking them personally...just so you know." You HAVE attacked the Black Eyed Peas, their (very) loyal fans, and everything that they have helped to build, tear down, and stand up for.

I'm out,Purrow
Purrow chapter 2 . 4/8/2005
Ok, sorry to come back, but there is so much wrong with this. Number one, Printz in NOT a member of the Black Eyed Peas, number two, the addresses of the people given are just the backup band, NOT members of the Peas. In light of the Peas upcoming album (Monkey Business, coming out May 25th), I would like to say that I am 150% behind the Black Eyed Peas on this one. They really are good people, and with all of these rappers singing about hos and drugs and sex, I don't see how you could get so huffy about a song. Okay, your brother has Down Syndrome. I strongly doubt that wil. , .ap, Taboo, and Fergie were thinking along the lines of 'Oh! Yeah! Put retarded in there, seeing as how I just hate retarded people so darn much!', when they were doing this song. This is the way that the Peas chose to express themselves. I think that you and your little anti-BEP club need to get a hobby or something...
Purrow chapter 8 . 4/1/2005
Well aren't you clever. I'm not going to point out any small grammatical errors, or make any little clever remarks. I am very sorry that you can't get over yourself enough to see through phrases like "Let's get retarded," or "Bob your head like an epilepsy." There is a greater meaning to everything! The Black Eyed Peas are the first Rap/Hip-Hop group to break stereotypical barriers, such as racism and sexism! They are doing good for everyone. Of course, then there's you, mashing away at your little keyboard, making little clever comebacks to someone who is probably answering emails for Printz, or the Peas, because they do not have time for people like yourself. They are too busy singing for tsunami relief concerts, and helping out at Children's Hospitals, to pay attention to you, whining in the distance about poor little you and your brother. I believe that the Black Eyed Peas are truly good people, from all over the earth. Wil. and Fergie (Stacy Ann Ferguson), from the U.S., Allen Pineda ( .ap) from the Phillipines, and Jaime Gomez (Taboo), from Mexico. Another thing, no matter how Printz responded, you probably would NEVER have been satisfied. He made a very intelligent argument for the Peas, and I respect him for that. Plus, to lash out at the Peas for spelling mistakes? That is quite pitiful. And don't worry, I do not feel sory for your brother, or you, and I hope that he grows up to be a more mature and intelligent person that you.-Purrow
welchs828 chapter 8 . 3/30/2005
You go, girl. Gosh, the BEP are a lot more insensitive and hypocritical than I ever thought them to be in the first place. I'm definitely writing. And when I do, I'll put it on fictionpress, maybe...or I'll at least send it to you so you can use it to prove your point.

Laterness,

welchs828 chapter 7 . 3/30/2005
Wow. That last e-mail from him was the most hypocritical statement I've ever read in my whole 14 years of living. He just totally proved your point.

welchs828 chapter 6 . 3/30/2005
Yeah, I think this Printz dude should own up to the fact that he's offending people and being a jerk, and just apologize and try to compensate. Instead, he's digging himself into a deeper hole than he already was in, by talking about subjects he doesn't know anything about and prejudging people and being a hypocrite and trying to change the subject. What a jerk.

welchs828 chapter 5 . 3/30/2005
I like your P.S. in this chapter. Clever. I like your whole cleverness and remaining calm and cool through this all. He's really doing a number on the BEP because he's insensitive as far as I can tell, PLUS he's prejudging people he doesn't even know, and over innocent things, too.

-PAige :)
welchs828 chapter 4 . 3/30/2005
Scuse my language for a sec while I rant. This response got my blood boiling...

What an ASSHOLE!

Sorry, and excuse me for saying that. He's bitching (once again, pardon me) about controversial issues in the most insensitive ways! We're talking about your brother here and people like him! And that ass Printz should not pity your family and your brother. Did you ever say you were unhappy with your brother or dissatisfied? NO! If anything, I gathered that you said he's basically a sweet, normal kid who has a mental disability. And he likes to dance to music, as you said in chapter one. Nobody should pity you for that. Maybe they should perhaps even be jealous of you and him for being so tight and for having awesome siblings. But I'm getting ahead of myself.

What kind of a jerk writes to a fifteen-year-old girl in that manner. Get a hobby? Sounds like someone needs an attitude adjustment. You have every right to be angry about those lyrics-first off, the dude partially admitted that they're using "retarded" in an offensive sense. And secondly, he's being hypocritical by putting that song out there and using epilepsy and all, but then saying that BEP goes to children's hospitals and sings a song called Where is the love? That's a hypocrite if I ever saw one.

And he signed it Peace, Prints. No. He wasn't making peace. He was stirring things up. What a jerk.

Scuse my mouth. I'm definitely writing to that jerk.

Laterness,

welchs828 chapter 2 . 3/30/2005
Thanks for putting in the addresses of some of the group members. I think I'll take the time to write them as well. I never liked them.

But I guess the radio edit of Hey Mama is okay, but have you heard the explicit one? It's nasty.

welchs828 chapter 1 . 3/30/2005
All I can say to you is thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

Personally, I was never and certainly am not a Black Eyed Peas fan, and very much for one of the same reasons as you aren't. I know that it's not right to use the term "retarded" because it's politically incorrect, rude, and immature. First off, the politically correct term for a person with a mental disability would be "retardant," however, that's just according to the dictionary; it's alright to say that someone's a retarded person-but only if you're talking in a politically correct manner. I get so mad when my friend (who's a BEP fan) calls me or other people "tards" (which is utterly and completely politically incorrect) and one time even came on the brink of yelling. I will be honest and admit that I don't have any connection to or know anyone with a mental disability (besides dyslexia or ADD), but I know it's so wrong and so offensive to use terms for disabilities in rude ways. I could relate to someone who has Alzheimer's Disease, though, which is a type of incurable disability, and it's a sad thing to see someone who was formerly a valedictorian or a prom queen or football captain who can't even speak logical words. However, children who have mental disabilities aren't, as that woman pointed out, sad or pitiful; in fact, they are more often than not the most inspirational children our society will ever see because they have YET to be glorious, and they'll always make an imprint on someone's life, even more than us other mentally able people.

But seriously, don't get me started on the Black Eyed Peas. Hyporitical, disrespectful, just plain dumb, vulgar. They're a group vouching for world peace, according to that one song...um...Where is the love? (I always need to do my research before I make my decisions on bands and people!) However, in that utterly repulsive song, Let's Get Retarded, they're just stirring up more controversy. And the good Lord knows that they meant the retarded everyone thinks of when they hear that word, not the music ritardando-and I'm glad you brought that up in your essay! If they meant ritardando or even ritard, then they should've titled the song correctly. There's also Hey Mama, which is, in my opinion, totally overly sexual, talking about...well, sex. I know that I don't wanna hear songs about sex while I'm listening to the radio eating peanut butter and jelly! And they speak of the Richter scale in that song as though it's a GOOD thing that that "earthquake" is so big-nuh-uh! Look at what the last big earthquake caused-a tsunami and thousands of deaths! Those hypocrites then stood up for the tsunami relief efforts when they sang about how awesome large earthquakes were. And if they didn't REALLY mean to talk about earthquakes, then the next thing that pops into mind is something vulgar to the extreme.

Their image is also vulgar, with Fergie being their only sex appeal, and for guys at that. Her skirts are too high, her necklines are too low, and her clothes are altogether too tight. But if I was to talk about sex appeal, then I'd be here all day.

Oh, and as for spelling, I hope they really feel stupid-all that money at their fingertips, and they couldn't even afford a dictionary. Boo-hoo. You'd think that artists would be able to spell or even ASK for help. But no-too busy tending to their vulgar, politically incorrect, hypocritical image. *sigh* Oh well.

I appreciate this. I really do. I'm going to make my friend (who's a huge BEP fan) read this one-he's going to be disgusted at his supposed favorite band.

44 | Page 1 .. Last Next »