Reviews for One Soulless Bloom
TJ Henri chapter 1 . 11/6/2004
Woah mama. I return from my hiatus and find this lurking by the doorstep. A welcome surprise, t'be sure. High calibre work, as always, and hits right on the perrenial difference between logical-unreason and I (read his review on my Accepting). Learning the mechanics of a flower, reducing it to a machine - yes, this destroys the beauty and art of life, bleeds romance dry. But look next time at the dissected flower on the cool metal slab - corpses can be made beautiful by recognition of their hollowness.
logical-unreason chapter 1 . 10/27/2004
"The sunset weeps fire.
For mankind has assumed it is such"
Huxley.
This one seems to have been written after science class and a discussion with me. The loss of beauty in understanding, hard thing to go through. Beautifully presented as always.
lola-in-slacks chapter 1 . 10/19/2004
Jeez... one cannot write poetry about one's opinions anymore? Should I check by worldwide surveys whether the object of my affections is, in fact, attractive before I write him/her a sonnet?
Kelpylion chapter 1 . 10/18/2004
*total disargeement* Extremely well-expressed; I loved the odd line-breaks. IMHO, understanding something down to the quarks gives it a greater aura of magnificence. The atom itself is an incredibly artistic concept; doesn't it follow that so many atoms composed in such neat chaos would be exponentially more impressive? I think the one real flaw in your thought is that you believe either one side of the brain (pure reason) or the other (artistic passion) must dominate- but really, in the well-balanced individual and well-balanced society, they only increase each other. Think of DaVinci- for him, understanding the physical structure of people-by actually disecting corpses-allowed him to represent them in a way that evoked more passion, because it was more *real.* If you put this side-by side with your example of a flower-well, you get my point. You can call a tree a mythical being at the same time that you study photosynthesis, perhaps to even greater effect. *Murmurs appologies for ranting.* I've run into a lot of people who agree with you, and a few who have the opposite opinion (that poetry, religion, etc. are bad for progress and scientific thought) and I guess it's become a mini-crusade for me.
Hm. I think you've just inspired a poem.
i-suck-at-names chapter 1 . 10/18/2004
Hey, I really like this one. I can't think of anything useful to say, but it really captures the essence of science vs art.