Reviews for Petals
Le Tigre chapter 18 . 7/1/2012
Hey, this story has been re-reviewed for the A Drop of Romeo Historical romance archive!

In Petals, Danielle Night whisks us away to the gossiping ladies and dashing gentlemen of Regency London and tells the story of Annabelle Bradford, a young girl enamoured with a man she dare not approach – Adrian Morey, the Earl of Dunlap.

Annabelle has a great knowledge of flowers, understanding their various meanings, and so, against propriety, sends a bouquet of bluebottles to Adrian to show her timid admirations, unintentionally starting a correspondence through her rough stable hand Jack and many, many flowers. In the meantime Adrian is under pressure from his father to marry, and not captivated by any of the young ladies London society has to offer so far, begins a desperate (and, at times, rather amusing) search to find the Lady.

Petals is a well paced, easy read and the writing is nearly flawless. Danielle Night gives us an idyllic snapshot of society, supported by a vibrant cast of characters. Adrian is everything a gentlemen should be – handsome and benign – whilst Annabelle is a shy, likable young woman who often reacts childishly in situations (making you want to strangle her through your screen), but her insecurity is a trait many can relate to. Overall, Petals is a sweet and charming story that should be considered a classic upon Fictionpress.
The Quotidian Life chapter 18 . 6/30/2012
I love it. It really is a great story and is very well written. I found it interesting how you used the idea of flowers and the meaning underpinning them.

Amazing.
wilhelmiina2 chapter 17 . 5/22/2012
Awwww.. So sweet sugary and so romantic, yet not disgustingly so.
Alanisaur chapter 18 . 5/4/2012
This will forvever be one of my favorite stories on fp :)
twibbit chapter 18 . 5/2/2012
crystal cry chapter 1 . 2/20/2012
.. This is a kinda cute story .. A bit frustrating near the end but all the while an enjoyable piece ! definitely worth my time ..

Thanks for the story !
C. Tattiana H-H chapter 13 . 2/14/2012
"Damn you, Adrian Morey," she hissed.

-I always feel it's inapporpriate when she calls him by her first name. If this is set in the 1800's, she wouldn't address him by his first name directly and probably not in her thoughts or to Jack.
C. Tattiana H-H chapter 7 . 2/14/2012
the earl had claim

-Edit: "earl" should be "Earl" since you're using it as a pronoun. If you go back and edit this story, look for this in previous chapters too, since I've seen it pop up now and again. :)

Also, try using "said" more often than "she whispered, she cried, et cetera." It's less distracting and you could use that opportunity to describe each character's body language instead of attaching a weak tag.

I haven't reviewed in a while so forgive me for such little feedback. I'm truly enjoying this story. Just thought I'd toss in a few grammar edits. Hope you don't mind.
C. Tattiana H-H chapter 6 . 2/14/2012
"Start at the beginning, Annabelle, and pray to the heavens above that I won't advise your parents to send you to live in solitude for the rest of your life, when you're done."

-I feel like this is a strange thing for Lorraine to say since you mentioned earlier that Lorraine sneaks out at night to watch cockfights and whatnot. She seems like an outgoing, headstrong woman so that line of dialogue surprised me.

Also, I think it would help if you introduced Lorraine's character earlier since we had no idea who she was prior and it made things momentarily confusing.

Really interesting story, though. Highly engaging and I love the creative correspondence between the two. You've definitely added a unique spin to the romance genre on FP.
Cleao girl chapter 18 . 2/7/2012
Awesome story
delight.full chapter 18 . 1/5/2012
I absolutely adore how you've used the basis of flower meanings for this story. And the proposal could not have been more romantic. Genuine characters and unique story line. Thanks for sharing!
Exsomnis chapter 18 . 1/4/2012
Very enjoyable.
mysterygirl124 chapter 1 . 12/28/2011
I love this story as I'm reading it, hooked! It is very detailed in description.
waitingForRand chapter 18 . 12/7/2011
Awww... sweet.. :)
Ardina Falconhurst chapter 18 . 12/3/2011
I absolutely loved this story of yours! :) It was wonderful! I read it all in one sitting (ssssh, don't let them know I'm not studying (; ) and it was great! I loved the whole idea of it - sending messages that are all secret to anyone else, and with flowers non-the-less. It was romantic but not cheesy, which is wonderful, and it was beautifully described. Jack was adorable, though sometimes I felt the way he talked was a bit old for his age, but he was great! Adrian was a dream, I loved how he got angry and was earnestly looking for his mysterious Lady. Annabelle was pleasantly amusing and I could see so much of myself in her.

You're a wonderful writer! I do hope to read more of your work and perhaps one day see some of it published and selling in a bookstore! The best of luck to you!

Pepper

P.S. The ending of the epilogue was really good, it drifting off to another girl counting out the petals of a flower. Lovely. Also the innocent little ending of their marriage being one of love so they're expected to wander off from the festivities...I feel like when I get married someday I'm going to completely forget about it until my husband's like "Ok honey, lets go." And I'll be like, "Go? But everyone's just started having fun, why should we leav..." *eyes go big* "Oh, yes...let's leave then."
898 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 .. Last Next »