Reviews for The Middle East
holocaustpulp chapter 5 . 4/16/2005
Munsterlad: Thanks for the points. I'll get around to making the fifth chapter more detailed sometime, but right now I plan on discussing the current affairs of the Israel-Palestine conflict.

- Holocaustpulp (author)
munsterlad chapter 5 . 4/16/2005
just a couple of small points, it might be worth mentioning some of the conflicts that actually took place over the time span. you o from the creation of the israeli state to 1967 without even mentioning the war of creation that took place after israel declared herself an independant nation, when she was attcked by egypt syria lebanon iraq and regards to 1967, it was egypt that created the conflict by deliberatly moving troops into sinai and then closing the straits of tiran to israeli shipping effectivly imposing an economic in regards to the camp david accords, you dont bring out strong enough the fact that israel was offering as much as she physically could to the palestinian side, all but the right of return. and yet yasser arafat walked away and refused to even attempt to place a restraining hand on the palestinian terrorist organisations.
angel24 chapter 3 . 3/10/2005
A Good not-as-much-partisan Essay. Congrats! Pat yourself on the Back! Get a Drink (non alcholic of course)!.

I am extremely optimistic about Lebanon. A great change has arrived in the Middle East - once people start talking, it is impossible to shut them up. Once people start dissenting, even Hesbollah which supports the Syrians and express their dissent are expressing their dissent, is a important sign for the development of a democracy.

Accurate listing of Facts and you citing from TIME adds more to your credibility. I would request again that you deflower your writing a little bit. But overall, a Good Job.

-Angel24
Mbwun chapter 2 . 3/7/2005
Interesting and well-thought-out essay. The Lebanon situation has great opportunity for progress in Southwest Asia-and hopefully, this opportunity will not be squandered.

He Who Walks On All Fours
holocaustpulp chapter 1 . 3/5/2005
To the skeptics: "Excuse my bluntness, but based on what I've read from your past, I'd expect you to be obstructionist to any advancements in the region."

There is a difference between dissent to imperialist government policy and international reform; the current movement at hand is a peaceful one characterized by diplomacy, not by the barrel of a gun. Freedom is something that should be widespread, and that is why I support the diplomatic emancipation of the Mid East.

"In the past you have been less then pleased with attempts to advance liberalization to the Middle East. "

Wait, you mean America was meant to liberalize the Middle East. Until the independent internal movement of Lebanon, America, the Middle Easterners, and other powers have been in the region for different aims, e.g. oil, control, religion, WMDs (we went into Iraq for the weapons, not the people)...

"Not only that, but you have on more then one occasion endorsed a communist 'revolution' which is completely at odds with any democratic movements."

Words spoken by one who does not know theoretical Marxism, which, I may note, is contradicted by failed endeavors of dictatorial governments with socialist objectives. The true communist models can be found in the Paris Commune society and Owenist (Robert Owen) socialist societies.

"Are you finally coming around or is this merely a ploy to bash the United States of America, but in different guise? "

I cannot deny some degree of "bashing" the US, and I know to you and others on the right it will be hard felt. However, I also intend to elaborate on actions that the US has implemented for the better.

I'll stick with my ideology and agree with the right where feasible. I am optimistic about these events.

- Holocastpulp
Calvin Fitzgerald chapter 1 . 3/4/2005
I would have to agree with Typewriter King on this one. In the past you have been less then pleased with attempts to advance liberalization to the Middle East. Not only that, but you have on more then one occasion endorsed a communist 'revolution' which is completely at odds with any democratic movements. This would be like reading a Marxist history of capitalism, an interesting viewpoint, but however, not one that anyone could take without a grain of salt.

Calvin Fitzgerald
Samuel T. Findlay chapter 1 . 3/3/2005
A goiod introduction and I am curious to see how you tackle this very complex region and its many intricacies and eccentricities. Looking forward to see what your take on the future of the Middle East is.
Typewriter King chapter 1 . 3/3/2005
Excuse my bluntness, but based on what I've read from your past, I'd expect you to be obstructionist to any advancements in the region. Are you taking the Thomas Barnett approach or something?