Reviews for The Story of Jude and Josie
castaways and cutouts chapter 33 . 8/18/2006
I would have submitted reviews for every one of the thirty three chapters, but that would clog up your email inbox. Fantastic. Simply fantastic. Except for a few grammar/spelling mistakes, it was PERFECTAMUNDO! Anyway, I loved your characters a ridiculous amount. Especially Jude. Keep up the most splendiforous work!
Writing4Eternity chapter 16 . 5/23/2006
I love love loved it!

Great job! :)
aims80 chapter 33 . 12/15/2005
I have to firstly apoligise for taking so long in getting around to reading this. I started work a few months back and had to get into a routine before I had time to do other things I enjoyed- like reading stories on here and writing. I finally updated "Brenda" and now plan to try and update at LEAST once a fortnight. I also still plan on finishing off the rest of the novels in The English Roses stories. If you get the chance check out my latest chapter (or was it two, it mighta' been two...hard day at work, brain not working.)

I had a fair bit to catch up on here but that's all right because I was enjoying the story so it wasn't exactly a chore. What can I say? The ending just seemed to fit really well. I don't know whether there was anything more you could have done or added...I loved Josie. I think because she was kind of a real person...I can't quite find the words I am looking for at the moment though. Anyway, overall great story. And if you're writing anything else let me know and I'll read it too!
Alexis Kent chapter 33 . 11/9/2005
Huzzah! Encore! Such a beautiful ending! Oh! :D

At first when I saw that you were skipping ahead 6 years for the next chapter, I was a bit disappointed. I wanted to see Jude meeting Damien for the first time and all the emotions that would tie into the way you did it was absolutely amazing. Every word put a smile on my face. Oh, I can't praise you enough. So very beautiful. :D

*runs off to sing White Christmas*
Alexis Kent chapter 29 . 11/8/2005
:( :(

This chapter made me cry. I hate the feeling of waiting, waiting for that phone call or knock on the door with news of your loved one. There's nothing quite like it, I think...Poor Josie. Poor Damien. Poor Jude.

I know Jude will show up though. :)
Alexis Kent chapter 25 . 11/7/2005
My brother-in-law (soldier) had to miss most of his newborn son's first year-the birth, the first smiles, everything. I like how you brought that aspect: a child with a father away in war. It deepens the bond we feel with Jude; we _need_ him to live for this Baby Turner.

As a side note, when we are first re-introduced to Miss Bernadette, we are told that she is no longer the young woman she once was. This sounded a bit strange, as only one year has passed. I don't think people often age terribly much in one year. :)
Alexis Kent chapter 23 . 11/7/2005
Yay, she's back in London. :)

Though I like you bringing her back to the start of things, would it be entirely practical of her to be wandering all around in a time of war? I mentioned in an earlier review that it's perfectly normal for her to be a bit selfish, but really we aren't given _anything_ so far on her thoughts of the war. Just her. Her and Jude. I hope to see her get more concerned/involved with world events.
Alexis Kent chapter 20 . 11/7/2005
Very sweet, but I have a question: Was it entirely acceptable back then to be married at 16-especially to an adult man? I know that it certainly would be frowned upon today (and illegal in most places), so I'm curious as to whether or not it was permissible in 1940 England.
Alexis Kent chapter 19 . 11/7/2005
Lovely! I like it how you don't try having Josie be all noble, and "I don't feel sorry for myself at ALL." My sister is married to a soldier who has been deployed to Iraq, and I know that such feelings of _total_ selflessness are not possible in those scenarios. I like how she confesses her pity party, and Jude's response to it is nice also.

Oh yes, I also like the way the letters are written. Too often when writing diaries/letters, authors make them way too much like the rest of the narrative. I've never understood when people tell out entire conversations word-for-word in them...heh. I like what you've done with them very much. :)
Alexis Kent chapter 16 . 11/7/2005
Ralph is visiting Mark at the hospital? I should imagine that he'd be in some hospital in France or Poland, and certainly he could not be visited in such situations. Ralph's departure also seems a bit abrupt.
Alexis Kent chapter 14 . 11/7/2005
Yay, their first kiss. :]

One thing I'd suggest is adding more of Mark in the earlier chapters. Since he's in it for such a brief time, the reader has little emotional attachment to him, and this doesn't work when you're trying to build up suspense about him being away at war. Though Jude and Josie certainly care for him, _we_ need to know more of him so _we_ can be just as worried. :)
Alexis Kent chapter 11 . 11/7/2005
I loved this chapter. :D Lovely poem you included, and even if you didn't write it, it is always a great accomplishment to find just the write piece of poetry to bring into a chapter. This was a very sweet chapter, and the way you wrote it (I feel) sets the stage for the rest of the story.
Alexis Kent chapter 8 . 11/7/2005
Very good progress with the story thus far. :) The whole thing with her maybe having to stay in London seemed a bit over-dramatic, but it's your story and you have the right to do with it whatever you wish. :)

Oh yes, and I love the aura about this story. I was in England this summer, and besides London visted places like-Looe! Yes, I was excited to see you mention it. :)
euphorictragedy chapter 33 . 11/7/2005
It's so upsetting! I love this story so much and now it's over. I just want to thank you for not giving up on this story and making it so great!
asga chapter 33 . 11/7/2005