Reviews for You're Too Wonderful to Die
Linh Pham chapter 1 . 2/12/2013
My boyfriend died 6 months ago. He committed suicide in the USA, which we often called "the other side of the world" because both of us were Vietnamese (he had been a transfer student for about 2 years before his sudden death).
He left me a note: "Just love someone who deserve you, when you're older". I couldn't stop crying and sending him messages for about several months. But now I've got over him.
Thank you for writing such a beautiful story!
Dr. Self Destruct chapter 1 . 2/6/2013
I hope you don't mind me reviewing one of your older pieces. I remember you mentioning in the OT you submitted this for a competition somewhere else, so I thought you might still like some feedback on it.

I'll be honest, when I figured out this was about a suicide I was prepared to be hit by a lot of sentimental emotions, but this wasn't the case at all. I think you do a wonderful job addressing this subject without coming across as emotionally manipulative. It's the humor, really, that pulls it off, I think. You give your characters so many funny quirks, and the narrator has some really amusing thoughts. Like the thing about George Lopez - that cracked me up. Same with her hair. At first I was like, "Why is this girl talking about her hair so much?" but then I saw the humor behind it and I appreciate the detail. It really helps define her and contrast her with her dead boyfriend. I think another reason this isn't sentimental is because this story isn't really about her boyfriend's death, but what he was like when he was alive. Sure, it's mentioned he's dead and he killed himself, and there's even a funeral scene, but it's all peppered with these past experiences they had together that makes me more attached to the living boyfriend as opposed to the suicidal one. The narrator herself is very composed about the whole thing, which is understandable since it's been awhile. It's nice that she's able to look back on him fondly and think of him more than just "my ex boyfriend who put a bullet in his brain."

I think this entire thing is just so well put together. The way you focus on specific moments and specific details makes me become so attached to these characters right away; I think my favorite is knowing her boyfriend hated the number nine and refused to call her when it was nine o'clock. It's so quirky and strange, but it makes him feel so *real* when knowing everyone has their own little superstitions and beliefs. When I read the part about him stealing gum, I freaked out because that exact same thing happened to me. The only thing I've ever stolen was a pack of gum when I was about eight years old, lol.

There are also a few rather cleverly put together scenes, like The Princess Bride moment, and the ending with Amy and the CDs. I really like this ending, because it's not definitive and leaves it open to a reader's interpretation. I remember my creative writing professor telling me that sometimes the best stories don't have a closed or definite ending, that there's not always going to be a little bow on the top of a story's package showing us it's "complete" - and this openness is what makes some of them so interesting and great. And I think you've definitely captured that here.

I really have no criticisms to offer, maybe some very minor things like omitting a word here and there, but it's really not worth picking at. Great job, I really enjoyed reading this, and I definitely think you deserved winning something for writing this, no matter if the piece itself is a few years old. :)
Dandy352 chapter 1 . 7/11/2012
It's different, uniquely different, I can't figure out what term to use to describe it. Honestly I read it because it has so many reviews for a one chapter story. It makes sense, the story.

It brought out a whole new perspective in dealing with suicide letters, perhaps that's it.

God bless :)

But I hope as a person, you never attempt to commit suicide.
Jeremiah 29:11 :)
mussed chapter 1 . 5/6/2012
You know, I kind of hate you for that ending. Ok no, I'm just kidding.

I don't even know what to say... I usually stay away from works like these on fictionpress because no one really gets it right but what you did is spot on. It doesn't make the readers want to bang their heads against a wall for one.

I was alternately laughing and crying after I read this. Ugh. I don't know. I really, really want to know what the letter says and UGH. UGH!

That was me venting my frustration. Well anyway, I loved this and I can't help thinking about the characters. Is the story based on something from real life?
frouwe chapter 1 . 9/22/2011
I almost didn't want to leave a review, because you had 111 and it was just too perfect.

But God... this is so awesome. I love how you managed to write about suicide and not have it be really depressing or angst-y or tragic. I sort of want to cry right now, but mostly think.

I liked the style, too. I think it's a lot like his personality, for some reason. Sort of odd and random.
Millersnow chapter 1 . 8/23/2011
It's beautiful and sad. But a little too abstract and distant for comfort. Thanks!
SmilingSarcasm chapter 1 . 6/28/2011
You speak like me. This passage caused me to do a lot of thinking, and it sounded real, very very real. If it is true then im not saying sorry to you or feeling pity for you because for one, it never helps and for two, you don't seem like the type of person who would want such things. Anyway you gave insight to the slightly unimportant girlfriends in relationships such as this one. It was good.
non.graceful chapter 1 . 2/18/2011
Sad story. Nice though; I enjoyed it. (I think i should insert a laugh there.)
fickletrickles chapter 1 . 2/9/2011
speechless.
renate seline zaz chapter 1 . 12/9/2010
gah. this was like a slap in the face, but really really good and certainly very powerful. the ending was fantastic. so well written, but so depressing. ouch.
Ellie Nelson chapter 1 . 11/27/2010
This story was so awesome. Awesome and sad, and I don't really know what else to say about it.

But yeah, you really captured the subject well. Good job!
Into the Sunshine chapter 1 . 9/6/2010
I'm not quite sure what to say.

...Is it weird that I like the fact that Chris calls her at nine every night? Probably.

I really love your writing style, and reading this sort of made me want to cry, especially at the end. But then I didn't because I thought that not reading the letter was a very good idea, because this guy sounds like a bit of a tool. The only thing I liked about the description of him was when she gave hima CD he already had, and he didn't say anything.

So yeah. Good job. I really liked this.
witeaya chapter 1 . 6/13/2010
u wrote beautifully. death is a hard subject to comprehend especially if its suicide but u manage to capture the feelings.

its sad, really. and i want to know what the letter says.
Pione chapter 1 . 12/25/2009
Really really nice train of thought. I love it!
exclamatorypoint chapter 1 . 12/18/2009
I loved it holy shit. Concise, brilliant, open-ended, angry and sad but not too much and not angsty, I LOVE THIS
116 | Page 1 2 3 4 .. Last Next »