Reviews for Once Upon A Time
C. X. Blackfeather chapter 1 . 4/6/2005
"she’ll smash her mirror into glittering shards and ignore her bleeding fist and continue her duties" - that is so Ember. My favorite image of the enitre thing, except perhaps for the stone mask image. This is a great character study, revealing an emotional side to Ember that we don't see even though she narrates. Perhaps you should add more of these images and concepts in the actual story - we only see what you show us, so even if she is your most complex character you must show all sides of her. And that's hard sometimes, to convey all of a person, because she's so completely in your head that you only need a few key sentences to picture her wholly. Not that you're doing a bad job of conveying your characters. It's just that I saw a completely different side to Ember in this, and as an author you don't want to leave any important part of a picture out. Yet you already show us weaknesses in your characters that drive them to create little subplots and story-threads of their own (naturally! the best part of it), and I think that's what I like the most about your writing. Please keep up the good work!
Grace Hsia chapter 1 . 3/12/2005
GAH! Taken me forever to review! I'm so sorry! (I hate vocab with a passion...but I must return to it in a sec, so this review will be short) I'm so sorry!

Ahem, this is really good and definitely gives the reader vast insight into the character of Ember and Cale. (I like this a lot. Now, if only more authors would do this) Anyways, I like your descriptions and vague dropping of clues/hints. Seriously helpful, this helpful set of background notes is also really well-written in language suitable for the passably smart (i.e. me, lol) and it is also entertaining.

This is definitely not boring old cliff-notes typ-ish background notes, but more interesting, funny, and real. And yet, ironically enough (and sort of rubbing in Mr. Ol' Cliffnotes' face) these notes are way more funny, entertaining, and interesting than any Cliff-notes. _ This is a definitely a good thing! The fascinating unraveling of the background of cold, ancient 16-year-old who's sun has nearly ceased to shine...

...this also shows and reveals that the writer of this has great writing skills and is a brilliant, humorous, and clever raconteur.

The highest compliment I can give?

I wish I'd written this!

Happy updating jules!

*Orient Fox*
Emmy chapter 1 . 3/11/2005
Ohmygod. That was so beautiful. I practically have tears in my eyes. Really. You must make a shippy chapter based on this. I mean it. You really should. Well on another note, I have an e-mial now (wince, very bad grammer, don't really know how to fix it though)so feel free to e-mail me now, althogh I can only check it at the library or my cousin house seeing as how I STILL DON'T HAVE A COMPUTER YET. Deep breaths, calming down now. Hehehe. Well see you at school. Bye.P.S. Imean it you better make a chapter based on this or else there will be pain involved. On your part. Evil Grin, hehehe. Bye, bye. .
Ridley Jack chapter 1 . 3/10/2005
Awh! I love it! Even though I must admit I like you writing humor best, you're good at writing other genres, too, and I think that it's cool that you explore them (and post them :P)
crossed Ts chapter 1 . 3/10/2005
I reckon it makes the readers of 'To Fight or Fall' understand Ember better. This piece is definately the most emotional part of the fiction. It's poetical(at least to me)and that i feel, brings out the feelings even better. Being able to see what Ember sees as well as how she's looked upon changes alot of things. I thik that now, it'll be easier to comprehand why she makes certain decisions. It's really brilliant of you to have thought to have written something like this.
Hikari Shan chapter 1 . 3/10/2005
Oh man, I love this! I love all your stuff, but this is amazing. I think you have capture her character so well, in just a few paragraphs. It's wonderful.
Silly Banditto lazy to sign in chapter 1 . 3/10/2005
Wow, that was really good. It gave me so much more insight into Ember(well, it proved what I was thinking at least). Very well written, and hurry up with another update to your other stories!

-Silly Bandit
ProxyWonker chapter 1 . 3/10/2005
That was absolutley beautiful. Nothing else to say about it. Beautiful.
anamika chapter 1 . 3/10/2005
amazing... it is beyond amzing god you're a year younger than me and you write like a senior...you're very it loved it loved it

ana
Crystal109 chapter 1 . 3/9/2005
Wow. This was an excellent portrayal of Ember. I mean, not in the sense that you captured her personality perfectly (even though you probably did, anyway), but the way you did it was extremely touching. Eh touching isn't the word for it. I don't know what word would fit best - I suppose poignant would work. The whole once upon a time was wonderful. (Have you read Snow by Tracy Lynn? There's this part in it that reminded me of this.) Anyways, if you want the not-so-confusing part of the review, it's this: This was wonderfully done, and I loved it. Especially the hints of romance. _ Whe.
lady scribe of avandell chapter 1 . 3/9/2005
very poignant. you reveal a lot about both characters in this piece. i like it. and the "once upon a time" stuff was very...what is the word?...cool. it is not the word i wanted, but it will have to do. sere mi eru...lady scribe of avandell
Dreaming Rhapsody chapter 1 . 3/9/2005