Reviews for Fuck Away the Pain
fallincrystal chapter 1 . 11/17/2007
Good thing, not naming the main character. The only way you would've been able to sneak it in would've been if you'd had te character call him that. You didn't need thousands of words to tell the story.
i-see-faeries chapter 1 . 7/9/2007
Aw, how sweet. Adorable, really. I love Chad, he just seems so cute. Haha. And yeah, I didn't realize until I read your notes that you really didn't have a name for the main character. It's all right though ... Great job. I love it.
FreeDaChickens chapter 1 . 6/27/2007
Aw . . . that was cute. The ending made me laugh, "At his high school reunion, Chad punched Jake and broke his nose. They lived happily ever after." Jake deserved it. :)

I like the style of this . . . how you left off most names until close to the end and never named the main character. It gave it more of a personal feel, like you're really seeing it from his view. After all, how many times do you actually think about yourself using your own name?

The only complaint I have is the main character's reaction to breaking up with Jake (whom you called "Jack" halfway through). It seems a little . . . well, extreme. But it fit with the story, so I guess it works.

Great story, good luck with future writing!

FreeDaChickens
sweetz123 chapter 1 . 6/21/2007
"At his high school reunion, Chad punched Jake and broke his nose."

That line had me cracking up. I really enjoyed this, made my night it did. Almost had me tearing up. Just a little though.
Ofinterest chapter 1 . 5/1/2007
I am lazy. I also do not read stories more than once, certainly not five or six times in a two week period, first on your livejournal, and then here. I therefore have decided to overcome my natural state of indolence and bloody well review.

So. I liked this. A lot. A whole heap. Positively, absolutely, forever and always. I didn't like the reason the main character gave for basically becoming a one night stand in the first place, I thought it was a bit slight(people get left all the time by bastards and don't start sleeping around), but I sure as hell loved the developement of his love story with Chad. That was believable, and triggered all sorts of warm and fuzzy feelings as main character found himself returning to his green-eyed lover, and found that the caring sex offered by this person made him feel better about himself. I like that the developement of their love was a bit unusual, and not the same cliched stuff.

I love the fact that you didn't the main character, it made it more intimate somehow to me. (Don't ask why. I don't know.)And I adore the fact that Chad punched Jake out at their high school reunion.

Finally, I love the style of writing. Somehow, it helped to conveyed the characters state of mind and towards the end the spare sentences just, I don't know. They just...captured me. This story captured my imagination. It made me wish I was friends with that couple, just to see the beauty that that relationship would be. Thank you so much for sharing your writing. I am very grateful.
a.s. bygones chapter 1 . 2/24/2007
Aw.
Hokit chapter 1 . 4/14/2006
Whew! That was one fine story you had there!

Loved the short and straight-to-the-point style. It's always great to read stories that are there to be enjoyed, not as a chore to hack through.

And I'm glad you won't be writing a follow-up with this story. The ending was solid and left little else to wonder about: Chad and he-who-shall-not-be-named "lived happily ever after" - short, sweet and no convoluted bullshit.

Again, awesome work!
Collar de Espinas chapter 1 . 4/4/2006
'At his high school reunion, Chad punched Jake and broke his nose.

They lived happily ever after.'

Effing brilliant!

I actually loved that the main character wasn't named- I've always loved that in one-shots.

The structure of this was just...perfect. Honestly, you get everything we needed and then some.
Macabre Love chapter 1 . 3/15/2006
That's was awesome. And I thought it was amazing that you never named him. That's just so awe inspiring. You're such an intelligent and awesome writer.
Yoyo-chan chapter 1 . 9/30/2005
The second to last line is my favorite.

And I assumed not naming the main character was intentional
Zeva chapter 1 . 8/22/2005
I really liked all the emotion you managed to convey in this, even with so little dialogue. The end was funny, just the way you said it. It's very
PikaNaNoDa chapter 1 . 7/27/2005
Gotta be honest here. At first I didn't know what to think of this story. Though, the more I read, the more I like it. I think what I enjoyed the most was how the story didn't come across too hopeful at first. I almost wasn't expecting any sort of happy ending.

Though I have to say...that ending...Fantastic...
The Inkslinger chapter 1 . 7/18/2005
...

Oh. My. Goodness.

You totally jinxed me. Hell. My review was interrupted, too! What the devil?

Dammit. I hardly remember what I said! What a piss off. *curse curse*

Hmh. Oh well, I shall attempt to begin where f*ing FP cut me off. Though I guess this is only fair... but whatever..

SO, your poor "non-person" main character was pretty much only watching life, and not really engaging in it, previous to Chad. But once he met Chad, events seemed to come into focus, as if the main character was just beginning to become aware of the goings on around him. Life for him seemed to become less mundane and more exciting. He started to care. He started to -feel-. And it was all so wonderfully crafted.

Gosh, I loved it!

Uh oh, My family is leaving now. I'd better get goin! Ergh! Stupid FP, now I don't have enough time...

*dashes off to soccer game*

-Inky
The Inkslinger chapter 1 . 7/18/2005
*joy* What a short story- I loved it! I'm so glad the main character, through Chad, evolved and found meaning and happiness in life. It makes me pleased just to read about it!

At first he was such a... non-person, if that makes sense, sort of drifting through life like it was a dream and he wasn't really in it, (he was watching, but never really taking part.. _
pneumothorax chapter 1 . 7/6/2005
Quite.. simplistic in parts because of the almost lack of involvement you get with the character. The use of 'he' (and because of this, the past tense seems to work against it also) makes you feel removed from the scene.

However. Some nice lines. A good, if not precitable plot.

'He thought of Jake, the park, Chad, and most of all, how he felt, and how he wanted to feel.'

- 'how he wanted to feel' in a brilliant line.
45 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 Next »