Reviews for Garam Masala
nerdi chapter 1 . 3/23
I clicked this because of the title and oh my god did I love it.

First off, can I just say that I loved this so, so much? You made me feel beautiful when everyone tries to make me believe I am not. Just because my skin is darker. I might not take it to heart, but this poem showed me that at least some part of me feels lesser than others and assured me that it isn't so. Thank you for that.

The poem itself is something I adored. Your word choices make me smile. And the conjoined words didn't bother me - I think it made the poem beautiful. (and also more 'Indian' if I may say so, because Indians always have a penchant for joining smaller words to make bigger ones in their languages). My favourite phrase was 'poignant breeze'. It flowed smoothly, but was still impactful, especially with the odd breaks.

I live for such beautiful things. Thank you
Loss of Words chapter 1 . 12/10/2010
This is the first time I have ever read a poem with this specific topic; so that's a plus already. :) AND I happen to like the specific direction this is going; few people laud the woman who goes without makeup and things artificial.

I like the stanzas,

hidden kisses

boys longed for, she received (note the proper spelling :P)

sweet and exotic.

before twelve

already was this poignant breeze

but we, artificial

They're vivid and descriptive. I like how you connected the last two stanzas, because it (strangely) has a very nice flow.

One thing: the third stanza was very disjointed; I did not like. It didn't flow well with the surrounding stanzas. I did, however, like the word "earthyspice." That DOES fit with the poem, just... differently, in my opinion. :P
nickyO chapter 1 . 3/12/2010
I'm guessing that the "shamefullyless" is there on purpose and it is quite clever.
fleur de l'est chapter 1 . 2/19/2010
Wow, I wonder if this is based on a real person, she seems so alive.. and the title sure adds to the exoticness )

I loved the contrast between artificial and intrinsic beauty, and she seems to possess such a charm just by being confident.
SarahMerriman chapter 1 . 2/13/2010
I like the message of this poem as well as the way it is set up. Very creative. I only have one question. Was shamefullyless a typo or do I just not know this rule of grammar? Anyway, good job. Keep writing.
Humb1eBeginnings chapter 1 . 2/11/2010
Is this poem describing natural beauty? Correct me if I'm wrong. I see a lot of girls that tries to match appearances that they are not born with. I believe a woman always look better natural.
smile persephone chapter 1 . 5/1/2005
Wow, this poem is just so... perfect. It really gives me something to think on. Your style of writing is something that I envy. Amazingly done!
addie pray chapter 1 . 4/22/2005
I loved this. The style of writing is superb. I hope I have room on my favourites. Well done, keep on.
do not resuscitate chapter 1 . 4/3/2005
this is gorgeous. your word choice is stunning.
this is britt chapter 1 . 3/31/2005
the formatting adds so much to this. you're a great, great writer. and how true is it, this poem.
Nobody-n-Particular chapter 1 . 3/29/2005
Beautiful
broken shard of twilight chapter 1 . 3/23/2005
I love this. The words you have chosen are absolutely perfect. I love how much the enjambment plays a role, letting each line simply hang. The end of each stanza-like thing is simply an open statement. So perfect. I love some of the words in this. "earthyspice", "cosmeticless" and "shamefullyless". I applaud!
Kalopsia chapter 1 . 3/21/2005
nice words. ur style is changing a bit. i am very depressed. check out my site...now.
like a lover chapter 1 . 3/21/2005
oh my god, i love this so much, i can't even explain it.

i love natural beauty, but sometimes i feel like the odd ugly girl, having a middle-eastern/european background while all my friends are either blond or very fair-skinned... you really showed beauty here, a different kind of beauty, and i loved every word. i really am kinda tired of westernized beauty, and this was like fresh air.

really, every word was beauty itself. fav for sure. :)
youzi chapter 1 . 3/20/2005
I like some of your expressions such as "poignant breeze", but i'm lost at some points, perhaps because you appear to have taken the poetic license too far: "shamefullyless"? and "herneck"?P