Reviews for Garam Masala
Loss of Words chapter 1 . 12/10/2010
This is the first time I have ever read a poem with this specific topic; so that's a plus already. :) AND I happen to like the specific direction this is going; few people laud the woman who goes without makeup and things artificial.

I like the stanzas,

hidden kisses

boys longed for, she received (note the proper spelling :P)

sweet and exotic.

before twelve

already was this poignant breeze

but we, artificial

They're vivid and descriptive. I like how you connected the last two stanzas, because it (strangely) has a very nice flow.

One thing: the third stanza was very disjointed; I did not like. It didn't flow well with the surrounding stanzas. I did, however, like the word "earthyspice." That DOES fit with the poem, just... differently, in my opinion. :P
nickyO chapter 1 . 3/12/2010
I'm guessing that the "shamefullyless" is there on purpose and it is quite clever.
wo bu ai ni le chapter 1 . 2/19/2010
Wow, I wonder if this is based on a real person, she seems so alive.. and the title sure adds to the exoticness )

I loved the contrast between artificial and intrinsic beauty, and she seems to possess such a charm just by being confident.
SarahMerriman chapter 1 . 2/13/2010
I like the message of this poem as well as the way it is set up. Very creative. I only have one question. Was shamefullyless a typo or do I just not know this rule of grammar? Anyway, good job. Keep writing.
Humb1eBeginnings chapter 1 . 2/11/2010
Is this poem describing natural beauty? Correct me if I'm wrong. I see a lot of girls that tries to match appearances that they are not born with. I believe a woman always look better natural.
smile persephone chapter 1 . 5/1/2005
Wow, this poem is just so... perfect. It really gives me something to think on. Your style of writing is something that I envy. Amazingly done!
addie pray chapter 1 . 4/22/2005
I loved this. The style of writing is superb. I hope I have room on my favourites. Well done, keep on.
do not resuscitate chapter 1 . 4/3/2005
this is gorgeous. your word choice is stunning.
this is britt chapter 1 . 3/31/2005
the formatting adds so much to this. you're a great, great writer. and how true is it, this poem.
Nobody-n-Particular chapter 1 . 3/29/2005
Beautiful
broken shard of twilight chapter 1 . 3/23/2005
I love this. The words you have chosen are absolutely perfect. I love how much the enjambment plays a role, letting each line simply hang. The end of each stanza-like thing is simply an open statement. So perfect. I love some of the words in this. "earthyspice", "cosmeticless" and "shamefullyless". I applaud!
Kalopsia chapter 1 . 3/21/2005
nice words. ur style is changing a bit. i am very depressed. check out my site...now.
like a lover chapter 1 . 3/21/2005
oh my god, i love this so much, i can't even explain it.

i love natural beauty, but sometimes i feel like the odd ugly girl, having a middle-eastern/european background while all my friends are either blond or very fair-skinned... you really showed beauty here, a different kind of beauty, and i loved every word. i really am kinda tired of westernized beauty, and this was like fresh air.

really, every word was beauty itself. fav for sure. :)
youzi chapter 1 . 3/20/2005
I like some of your expressions such as "poignant breeze", but i'm lost at some points, perhaps because you appear to have taken the poetic license too far: "shamefullyless"? and "herneck"?P