Reviews for Quid Pro Quo
nameless chapter 16 . 5/12/2005
pre-AP? 'Beloved' is a solid AP English book that could prove useful when taking the exam...if that's what you're going for. If you'd like to keep with a common theme of the African [American] life and struggle, you may as well go with 'Their Eyes Were Watching God' and 'Invisible Man.' 'TEWWG' isn't a difficult read, especially compared with some of the others on that list-namely 'The Fountainhead' [one of my favorite books ever] or 'Atlas Shrugged.' Those two are made more difficult to stomach simply because Ayn Rand was a political nut. If you can tolerate her madness and obsession with objectivism, I'd recommend either one of the two. However, as far as taking the AP goes...you can afford to pass them in all their 10-page monologue glory. They have merit, of course, but their themes just won't be as common on 'As I Lay Dying' is a remarkable Faulkner read, but his style and syntax -stream of consciousness-like and all-definitely does not appeal to everybody. If you'd like to get into him though, it's a great novel to start with. If you'd like to relate on a intimate level with the character you're reading about, I'd suggest 'The Catcher in the Rye' and most likely not 'The House of Seven Gables.' Salinger's got the teenage angst thing down, man. 'Catch-22!' Love it. Joseph Heller has a serious point to make and makes it well, and not without being wicked funny along the way. A character whose full name is Major Major Major Major? It doubles as a decent read for AP US History...but I assume you're either taking that now or have taken it already. As for my favorite on that list-'One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest'-amazing. That's definitely one you can read just for the hell of it when you need a dose of brilliance at any time...don't make it a chore for summer reading. I think it's much too enjoyable for that.

Anyway, those are the only ones I've read. Hopefully that'll help a bit. Happy reading! :-) Out of curiosity, if I may ask...what else was on the list?
WarriorHeart chapter 16 . 5/12/2005
Wow. This chapter was a shocker. I would have never thought that NOra would have been responsible for someone's death like that. It was a good flashback for her present actions.

That review was very interesting.

Catch-22 was sawful for me, and I LOVE to read. I think I got twenty pages or so into it before I gave up; it was REALLY CONFUSING! I read Beloved (amon others) this year for my AP Eng class, I thought it was really good. The way Toni Morrison wrote it, it is completely fasinating and intriging with the characters and storyline. And while I recommend it, I would also recommend using a study-guide online or something to help, because some of the chapters/details are confusing at times or don't stand out right away and are really important. The Fountainhead was another that I really enjoyed. Rand is the only author whom I have ever really seen create a character completely fused with a philosophy. It's a great thinking book, and the story is enjoyable as well. Good luck with it, with whichever ones you choose.

Update soon! ;)
DuchessYappingDog chapter 16 . 5/12/2005
If you like The Bean Trees, the you'll probably like The Kitchen God's Wife. I heard The Catcher in the Rye is good, but I don't know. I tried to read it in 8th grade, but I couldn't really. Too young, I think. It didn't interest me or make any sense then. I'll probably have to read it sometime soon. But besides that, I don't know about the rest. I've heard the title of a few of the other ones, but I don't know what they are about. I'm curious what Catch-22 is about though. Hehe.
Kate MacMhuirich chapter 1 . 5/12/2005
You have a good style and pace. But you used the word 'beguiling' twice within a few paragraphs, and I think you could find a better word to use in place of the second beguiling. For me, an alarm bell goes off in my head saying, "Didn't she jst use that word?" Otherwise, everything was well edited.

Kate.
Dinorah chapter 7 . 5/12/2005
This story is cute... like the fact that Gideon kisses Nora and ends up running from the room. When I imagine that, I see some nerd giving a girl a quick peck on the mouth and running like hell, with legs and arms flying around (like Cindy in the movie Scary Movie), out of the room, leaving his litter brother who probably has a look on his face that says "What the F**K?". LoL Oh, well!
FrozenWaterFaerie chapter 16 . 5/12/2005
i kindof understand now. anyway, i haven't read any of those books but i kind of know what the kitchen god's wife is about. i know the story but now what is in the book. check out
phae chapter 16 . 5/12/2005
"o_0" seth died? whoa, harsh.
Written chapter 16 . 5/12/2005
While "their eyes were watching god" is an easy read, I personally hated it. of course, that could have to do with the way it was taught to me, but just throwing my two cents in. havent read any of the others. have heard the optimists daughter is quite a bore.

great chapter. I think its easy to understand- I forgive people very quickly as well.
Bellissimo Addio chapter 16 . 5/12/2005
I like the flashbacks... So, Seth just died? Is that what happened? And I think One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest was really good. ;)At least I enjoyed it... So yead. XD
AngelaSolis chapter 16 . 5/12/2005
The Junior AP books ... I've only read 4 of them so can't advise much. You know what I think of 'Atlas Shrugged' but it's very long and ... your attention span ...so, I'd go for 'The Fountainhead' which is just as good - very good. I read the Amazon synopsis of 'The Great Santini' - sounds OK but not wow. 'Catch 22' ...OK I suppose. I'm not inspired by that list. You have time to look them all up and see which ones might be good.

Otherwise ... interesting chapter - didn't quite expect anything like that. Poor Nora - the guilt.

Go back to Blossom ... if it ever uploads ... I'm going to bed. Good night.
The Bostonian chapter 16 . 5/12/2005
I get why she forgives people... but that last chapter still doesn't sit well with me. Someone would POISON her father to get back at her? AND WHERE IS THE GUN for the third time! This flashback was really sad. I have read "Their eyes were watching God", and it's not bad. It's about a strong woman and the various raltionships she goes through, the losses she suffers and love she finds. Not bad. Hey, what happened to the Latin titles of the chapters? Amo nomines Latines.
Roman Candles chapter 16 . 5/12/2005
I've seen One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest with Jack Nicholson. If it's anything like the book, it's a very sad story about mental institutions in the 1950's-1960's. The treatment was inhuman, but the characters kept their spirit. I'd recommend it to anyone. Great story, by the way. I love the characters and can't wait for an update.
stetT chapter 15 . 5/11/2005
OMG! i love you your hilarious! you made me laugh so hard. it was funny. i really like your storyline. it doesnt exactly fit the music im listening to, but thats ok. (im listening to ragtime the musical, if you were wondering...) nora is really... realistic... her character is. i like the way you use words. its really intriguing. the relationship between nora and liz is really cool. when people write, normally, you can tell stuff about them. based on their characters, on what happens to the characters. i catch myself and my friends doing that all the time. you though, half your characters are realistic, and half kinda arent. so i cant figure out which one resembles you. itd probly be easier if i actually KNEW you, but thats ok. tell me if my assumptions are correct: you either already have a boyfriend, or you dont and you know you dont need one, but theres a guy that you wouldnt mind going out with. your parents arent together, divorce or ones... not... living... in anycase, you live with one. you write like one who would know from experiance about living with one parent. you have a good self image... uh... i kinda like to analyze peoples personalitys. and through poetry and riting, its really easy to do that. sorry if your offended... i know a couple people who got offended that i do that... so, if you dont want to tell me if im right or not, i guess its ok, but im kinda curious, and outspoken... (hehe...)
Kella Trams chapter 1 . 5/11/2005
I think this is interesting. You use a lot of real modern stuff and I like it. i find that when I write, I use modern things like cars and computers, but maybe not ipods or a picture phone. I guess it feels that the world of my story is coming to close to my word. But I like the way you've used modern references in this story. I also love the title. I think it fits the tone of the story very well. And the names are really cool. Someone's not going to be named Joshua are they? or Sal? :-P And I love Lucian. I think he's an awesome little kid. I'm gonna keep reading!
Kira chapter 15 . 5/11/2005
haha that was really funny...i love the reaction that meredith has to gideon in the end lol great job! please update soon
743 | « Prev Page 1 .. 23 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 43 .. Last Next »