Reviews for Being Mean About BS
alexis chapter 1 . 12/17/2005
i totally agree with like everything u just said. it made me laugh too. :-) britanny is such a slut.
generic soda chapter 1 . 11/10/2005
nicely written. i think that tons of girls feel that way and you take the issue and write it so perfectly so everyone can see what most girls feel like when every guy thinks we should be like Britney Spears. I love the way you write to show how not only you are feeling, but how people feel like and can't express it. it seems like i've been saying the same thing over and over again, but i just love this piece of work dearly.
Um.Purrow duh chapter 2 . 9/13/2005
Uh just going through your stuff Paige (JC there's a lot of bad stuff about me on here! lol) and this is kinda stupid lol um...so yeah...
snarky muffin chapter 2 . 8/25/2005
oh my gosh i HATED kristin c, i hope she ends up working at burger king or something.
C. Catlin chapter 3 . 6/28/2005
Only thing I could say about this is:

Preach it!

Your so rigth about SOO much stuff. I think you are a child genuise (If I could spell it...)
peaceman4ever chapter 1 . 6/13/2005
this is so deep
Armas Apple chapter 1 . 6/12/2005
Yes! Finally some one has brought it up! I totally understand. Same thing goes for Christina Aguleria's(sp?) image...Also, it's sometimes scary what ppl will watch on school computers... *shreaks and runs away*
Dirty Wallpaper chapter 2 . 6/10/2005
lol. I love it when people get slammed by the hardcore essay people...especially when it's on such trivial pieces. Really, who cares, people? It's not like Britney Spears deserves a proper essay. I actually thought that by BS you meant bullshit. So i went in with false pretenses. Ah well.
Dirty Wallpaper chapter 1 . 6/10/2005
I think it's great that...she can sing" - ha! She can't sing.

You're overeacting. All guys know that not all girls are Britney Spears. Some girls are exactly like her, but who cares. That's them, we're us. The sluts will get the STDs and die, and we'll get the money and die after them. I would prefer a guy to blatently ogle someone else in celebrity world then myself or someone next to me. It's more distant, and i know i won't have the urge to smack them upside the head and then get charged with assult. Because let's face it - Britney Spears was made for the male - she's hot, can't sing, and wears sparkles.
don't yhave a screen name yet chapter 3 . 6/9/2005
Hi! I thought your essay had a few very good points, they just weren't expressed as clearly as they could have been. I'm glad you're going to keep posting, though.
INTP chapter 1 . 6/9/2005
It's pieces like this that make me avoid the Essay section. This isn't an essay. In the slightest bit. Never should an ellipsis be used so frequently. As for the infantile opinions and even more childish expression of them, I am more annoyed than riled up. An essay should inform and provoke. Whether that's indignation or intelligent thought is up to the author. This is the umpteenth time I've seen some self-righteous prude angrily (and poorly) argue against the demoralization of society in one way or another. Sure, I'm no Britney Spears fan, but I don't ineffectively complain about her, especially not publicly. She dresses, dances, and exemplifies all that is sexual sin according to you. So, ignore it. Writing about it only brings more attention to something you disapprove. Britney Spears's image isn't what anyone should be worried about; it's more shocking that society is willing to hand out morals and then ignore them when it comes to making money.
forever in blue jeans chapter 2 . 6/9/2005
The definition is a cute loophole. I still disagree with the use of the word, but I can't argue with a dictionary, so I'll leave it at that.

I did say that it's not an essay and I did say that it's a rant, but I didn't say that you should place it in another category. I meant that you could have (and should have) presented it in a neater, more coherent manner than you did. I was being honest and offering constructive criticism.

"'...just because Britney's a slut, doesn't mean we all are. I mean, some of us are, and will admit it...' is not a hypocritical phrase."

I never said that it was hypocritical; I know that it's not. What I said, was that it was contradicting your point. I understand what you meant by it, but your argument would have been much more persuasive had you left it out. I was trying to help you because if you ever did that in a formal essay for school, your teacher would attack you. (I know from experience). It's called constructive criticism.

I agree that Britney is prostituting herself...yea, that's all I have to say about that. I don't know who Diana DeGarmo is, but the last time I checked, Christina Aguilera wasn't exactly innocent. (i.e. she wore a shirt that said "deep throat" on it. Enough said.)

"I feel almost sorry that I ever put this up because of all the bashing I've been getting."

You shouldn't feel sorry that you posted this. You expressed your opinion and people disagreed. There's nothing wrong with that. Actually, most people weren't bashing. This would be bashing: "This essay sucks and so do you." I haven't seen anyone do anything like that.

I don't think I was very rude. I was blunt, yes, but I wouldn't consider that rude. *shrug* I guess that depends on your opinion.

I understand your opinion about how Britney's persona reflects on all girls, but I disagree. I think she makes herself look bad and that's it. Maybe this is just me, but where I live most of the guys don't even like Britney and the ones that do, don't label all the girls they see as "sluts" just because Britney acts like one.

It wasn't my intention to sound mean or offend you. I was just disagreeing and offering my own opinion. Like you said, freedom of speech.
jill chapter 2 . 6/9/2005
Oh, ouch, you wound me. When did I spell "mysogynic" "mysogenic"? I can't find that in my previous review.

Regarding your other points, first of all, no. You get free speech (in America) which means you can write or say whatever you feel like writing or saying. It does NOT, however, mean you can post wherever you want. This is an ESSAY category. Hence, it seems common knowledge that writers are suppoesd to post ESSAYS in it. This thing, as has been pointed out, is not an essay. It falls under free speech to write a rant "dissing" Britney Spears, but it does NOT fall under free speech to post it at an inappropriate forum (like the essay category). Also, since you seem so upset about being rudely reviewed, guess what? The reviewers who flamed you were also expressing freedom of speech, something to be expected when you post on a public site. Wow.

About mysogynic, one of the main things is calling a girl a slut in the first place. A girl who puts herself out to the world, who flirts and who sleeps around with guys is a slut or a whore. On the flip side, a guy who does the exact same thing is a player (a compliment). Does this seem like a good way to consider women versus men? Why is it accaptable for a man to have many partners, but a woman who does is looked down on by society? Also, I didn't state that, for example, your whole essay sounded mysogynic, I just said there were points where there was a prevailent underdown. So why should I point out SEVERAL places? Why won't one suffice? As for the "horrid, inaccurate piece of shit you decided to label an essay," just remember those were your words, not mine.

Christina Aguilera? I HOPE you're being sarcastic.

How did you NOT diss "Ms. Fenderline"? In your essay, you called her a slut and said she demoted girls. You said she danced "like a gorilla." You said anyone who found her acctractive was expressing an interest in sluts. You TITLE is "Being Mean About BS." And yet you weren't trying to "diss" her? Wow.

As for why reviews were rude, I can't speak for everyone, but I have to ask HOW exactly was I rude? I mean, I know I wasn't KIND, by any means, but I didn't insult you. I stated what was wrong with your essay, what didn't sit right with me, and what I FELT you should fix for the future. It's called constructive critism. Honestly, if there's one thing I can't stand, it's authors who post their writing and then, when they recive bad reviews as IS EXPECTED BY POSTING ON A PUBLIC FORUM, write a huge sob story (a "reponse" to the reviewers) talking about how MEAN everyone was to them and how MAYBE THEY WON'T POST ANYTHING EVER AGAIN. Yeah, do us all a favor.

If you can't deal with people telling you what they didn't like about your essay (freedom of speech in play again) then DON'T POST YOUR WRITING ON THE INTERNET.

It's as simple as that.
welchs828 chapter 2 . 6/8/2005
the definition for "slut" is what I got from just so none of you take that as plagarism...it didn't show up when I uploaded the document...that's why it goes straight from "from" to "slut..."
jill chapter 1 . 6/8/2005
If you like "grrl power" so much, stop calling another woman a slut. It's a derogatory term that shouldn't be used. Being a prostitute is not an easy life, needless to say, and many of the girls who are prostitutes have no other choice. And also, if a girl is promiscuious, she's a slut, but it's okay for a guy to sleep around? Does that seem wrong to you? Calling a girl a slut does not promote you as anyone I'd want to listen to.

Re: The actual essay, yes Britney Spears dances around in her underware, but guess what? So does everyone else. The music indistury, believe it or not, is not interested in promoting girls. The music industry is interested in making money, and nothing else. The end. And Britney dancing with half her clothes off sells. So they make money. So they continue to portray females as such.

Overall, this essay was poorly written and had no apparent point. As I stated before, you sometimes appeared to be very feminist, but at other times, you seemed almost mysogynic in tone. Throughout the "essay," you jumped from point to point, and dropped different topics, making the writing strange to read. You didn't back up any of your statements, which was actually okay because you didn't seem to have anything to say.

I'm a girl too.