Reviews for Plosion
Professional Dreamer chapter 1 . 2/23/2007
WOW. My mother is a teacher, and I know how frustrating kids - and parents - like this can be. You have a gift for getting across so much in only a few sentences whle still keeping the pace right.
FantasizedMusic chapter 1 . 7/22/2005
I hope you don't let this go to your head, but I say unashamedly that this is a truly remarkable piece of prose. To begin with, the juxtaposition of Nancy's mother with Lucas' mother was a wise writing move; the reader instantly sees a drunk (Lucas' mother) as a shoddy character, a morally flawed person, but does not see (yet) how Nancy is just as morally confused. Two paragraphs that I must applaud you on:

1.) Before Nancy could nod a curt approval, however, Lucas said, “You always have a choice, Ms. Ingram. Just because you don’t like it doesn’t mean it’s not there.” - I think the reason I was impacted so much by this is that Lucas, up until this point, has been un-human; not a beast, but a little monster, in a way. This proves his humanity. Before, Nancy doesn't look at Lucas as a human being, but merely as a distraction, the same way we are annoyed with cell phones and computer failures and power outages.

2.) With no one else in the classroom, Nancy walked slowly to the center desk in the front row and looked down at the half-made paper plane. Well-made but still made out of paper; still fragile. She gently picked up the plane and studied it for a bit. Then, staring off into space, she held it for a long while. - WONDERFUL imagery of the paper in relation to Lucas. I think that paragraph honestly seals this piece a lot more than the actually conclusion in my mind.

Anyway, I know this seems awfully long for a simple review, but I must say that I was truly impressed and this piece really provoked some honest-to-goodness thought about how I treat people. This piece is going on my favorites list. Overall, this piece's strength is in its flow and quietness. Really brilliant job on this.