Reviews for Writing with Diversity
Pheobe Meryll chapter 5 . 9/18/2005
I liked this chapter; I think you did a good job on explaining the importance of balance between narration (?) & dialogue.

The only thing I would take issue with is your dislike of the word "said." I have read writing guides which told the opposite for the reason that, oftentimes, using another word can make it unnatural, obvious that you're trying to be creative. I agree with both sides in the opinion that you must suit it to the situation. If what a chartacter is saying is very important, using different words and tagging on adverbs can distract rather than amplify his speech. Ya know what I mean? It all depends.

Onward!
Pheobe Meryll chapter 4 . 9/18/2005
That was a nice little exercise you put there about the half-dwarf king. _ Quite useful...I never thought of doing it that way.
Pheobe Meryll chapter 3 . 9/18/2005
I liked your note to this chapter; good thing to keep in mind.

Wonderful points; the opening of a story is easily the most important aspect, equal only perhaps with the conclusion.
Pheobe Meryll chapter 2 . 9/18/2005
Good advice...details are very important, yes. Good idea to point out the importance of diversity...many writers (including meself on occasion) forget that we have FIVE senses, not just one. There's a lot more to description than how things look! Anyway, I shall continue on.
temblance chapter 8 . 9/3/2005
Good conclusion, not much else to say. I really like this peice and hope that more people discover it.
temblance chapter 7 . 9/3/2005
This is probably the best chapter of all- Do not rely solely on spell check! Wonderful advice...I really need to start doing that. I also like the its/it's explination, that's one of the most common annoying mistakes to read.
temblance chapter 6 . 9/3/2005
I love the thesaurus, but it really bothers me when people use it freely, and do not understand the meaning and most importantly, the connotations of the word they select. I would only recommend use of a thesaurus to people with higer vocabulary, becuase it's a little obvious to see when they are replacing overused words left and right with new "professional sounding" ones. But anyway, you do have good advice.
temblance chapter 5 . 9/3/2005
Oh wow. This was probably the most valuable chapter to me, becuase I love dialogue, but have trouble with the "descriptions of the people saying it" part. I shall now try to do better.
temblance chapter 4 . 9/3/2005
Good advice. Of course, sometimes names such as "the homeowner" (paragraph of the good example) only make it sound like you are desperately searching for synonyms, but you made your point extremely well.
temblance chapter 3 . 9/3/2005
Hmm. I've seen many references to this when I read reviews of some stories, so I decided to check this out. I definitely need all the help I can get when writing.

Well, this chapter was pretty much your basic language arts stuff. I've probably been taught it hundreds of times, but it is much harder to follow. What set this chapter apart from your typical textbook was your writing. You really make something as school-related as this interesting. I'm off to the next chapter.
Gracey London chapter 3 . 8/31/2005
Thank you very much for writing this! A reviewer of mine (Lost in Dreams) recommended this chapter of your fic to me, and after taking a look, I think that this page will *definitely* be instrumental in helping me become a better writer. While it may take me some time to digest and implement all the suggestions in this article, (See, I'm getting better already. "*While* it may take me..." :D) I'll be sure to pay more attention to what kind of sentence openers I'm using from now on. Thank you, Lost in Dreams, and thank you, Eyetk!

Yours,G. London
Chocopop chapter 1 . 8/31/2005
Great guide, helpful and hilarious like an English teacher on some kind of crazy drug! . This gave me a lot of pointers, especially since I'm a new author just getting her foot in the door. Thanks for doing this (you must get loads of that).Chocopop x
Isabel Simon chapter 8 . 8/31/2005
you know, i wonder whether you realise that sometimes, you are the most helpfuly obnoxious person. that was a stuff was actually heplfull, but a tad boring, maybe YOU should try and captivate the reader's mind a little bit more. don't take this badly, i like what you've done, but not everyone for the help!
jessyxyz chapter 3 . 8/24/2005
:-) This section was really helpful! Under verbs, you have "Freezing cold quickly seeped into her bones" as an example, but isn't "freezing" used as an adjective here? ~Jessica
Vince Omega chapter 1 . 8/20/2005
A good basic guide and foundation for writing, it even had some pointers that I need to follow (mainly the pointer in chapter 3 about using "said".) Good job.
108 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 7 .. Last Next »