Reviews for Writing with Diversity
spiffy-sophia chapter 8 . 8/18/2005
Thank you SO much for these tips. I was referred to this by another author on Fictionpress, and I've realized that although people mostly seem to like the story I've started posting here, there are still a lot of things I can improve on. I'm planning to edit my future chapters more carefully, and when (if?) I finish the story, I'm definitely going to go back and present everyone with a new, reworked and nicely edited version. Haha. The bits about sentence openers and dialogue especially helped me. For example, I went back and looked at my latest chapter and definitely more than a quarter of it was the dialogue, and my first chapter had way too many of the same type of sentence opener. Ah. Again, thank you for the help! I hope I can make my story better after reading this!
Barbados chapter 2 . 8/16/2005
I've only scratched the surface, but I can tell that this will be an exceptionally valuable tool. It should be part of the FP terms of use that you have to read this (not really, but i'm trying to make a point.) Take it as a kindness if someone has directed you to this, because you just don't know the treasure you've been handed!
Abigail Radle chapter 8 . 8/8/2005
Thank you for putting this together. As long as I have been writing, I notice that it never hurts to take the time to refresh one's memory when it comes to the basics of sound technical writing skills. I definitely appreciated your love of "editing" ... I've read that 80% of what one writes should be edited out and redrafted. If a writer is afraid to bravely wield the red pen, their writing quality usually suffers as a result.
Celebuial chapter 3 . 7/24/2005
Wow, I'm amazed at how this guide adresses the exact things I need help with. It is easy to understand and was a good thing for me to read. Thanks for reviewing my story and sending me to your Guide.
Ballerina with a Gun chapter 8 . 7/23/2005
Surprisingly...this has helped me...

*preens* and I was a good enough author to start with. (I can see you gagging right now).

Good job! I hope CERTAIN PEOPLE LIKE THE ONES WE HAVE REVIEWED RECENTLY read this some time...
Ballerina blah blah blah chapter 1 . 7/23/2005
HAH. In spite of myself, I had to laugh at your comparing writing and food. It sounds just like you.

And yet...it's so true.
Teffie chapter 8 . 7/20/2005
very helpful...thanks!
Niita Valdyrn chapter 4 . 7/16/2005
Gr... No offense to you, but you sent me the link to this page and your thesaurus page, and I don't really need them. I use the same words over and over for a purpose, and my characters have no names in the first chapter for a distinct, confusing to some, reason. I prefer to give a typical, "Hey! I'm a human, etc!" entry for my characters, and give them names and big details later. So please, if you're going top send someone to things like this, make sure they don't actually know what they're doing before you send it.
John Enverga chapter 8 . 7/15/2005
Wow, pretty useful informtion! I think I'll keep this guide handy whenever the time arises when I'll need it. Good work.
Ash chapter 1 . 7/12/2005
Wonderful advice, but I would recommend not critiquing too harshly. Sometimes the emotions that one wants to convey goes against the said 'rules' of writing. Many great authors have broken the 'wall' that sometimes seperates what we all have inside and what we put down on paper. If the point is coherent and the details secondary, you can't fault a writer from escaping the 'box'. Sloppy writing isn't good, but "perfect" writing is unique to each and every individual.

I would like to say, however, that this guide is spectacular for authors in the work. Unique identities are the best things in the world.
Count of Casualty chapter 8 . 6/30/2005
Thank you so much! I've been reading this book about how to write a novel, so I got some information from that. But you added to my prior knowledge. Yay! I love learning new things! I didn't know about sentence openers or anything like that, so that was helpful. Thank you soo so much! :D
KIRARARA chapter 8 . 6/29/2005
OMG LIFESAVER! this essay was really helpful, i wasnt expecting! you've talked about things that so many 'how to write' books and tutorials leave out! also liked how your tone was friendly as one reviewer said, and you compared sentences, showing us what a bad sentence is, and a good sentence. those really stick in the head. will definitely use the info. great stuff.

Arik
April Hammer chapter 8 . 6/29/2005
YOU GET A GOLDEN STAR! I enjoyed reading this so much, and it has kicked my little writer's block down the street and given me some motivation and inspiration to start back at writing prose again.

I also wanted to point out how much I really liked your friendly tone. Some of the essays and whatnot that I read can be a little bit... eh, degrading to the readers, and don't make it easy to read. However, your nifty little "how to improve" piece was so... friendly! I really enjoyed it, and I think I'm going to go write my little heart out, now! *grin*
N. Steven chapter 3 . 6/29/2005
I don't know why, and I can't really explain it, but for some reason, I see you as my 10th grade high school English teacher. Don't get mad, she was hot. You just seem to possess a lot of literary prowess. At least you're taking the time out to spread the love! Question: Do I need the extra work? I'd greatly appreciate it if you could review some of my stuff. If you can't, cool. If you can, cool. Moving on the read more goodies!
TenshiNoAkuma chapter 8 . 6/29/2005
First of all, I must say that this guide has been one of the most useful I've read so far. It's short(ish) and to the point, and the comparison to food in the introduction really hooked me in. I actually managed to finish it all (quite a feat for me _ ) and I found that it pointed out mistakes that I didn't know I had with my writing.

Kudos to you and all the others who had input on the chapters. I'll try to take into account the things that have been written here, but there's bound to be a few things that slip through. ;) This is SO going in my Favourite Stories list. _
108 | « Prev Page 1 .. 3 4 5 6 7 .. Last Next »