Reviews for Writing with Diversity
Aithwayth chapter 1 . 6/28/2005
I like the comparing to food... It gives a good visual. I'll have to try using these thoughts even though I'm better at "Tell me bluntly" type stuff.
Conrath chapter 2 . 6/28/2005
Have you considered becoming a columnist for Fp? Just wondering because this essay seems like the style of the columnists of FP, and I believe you'd be suited for it.
Eyetk chapter 8 . 6/28/2005
Bah. While I was under the impression that links such as ' ' were allowed in stories (even if you had to copy/paste them into the address bar, instead of being able to link them directly), it now seems that the fictionpress editor will -not- accept such things, and automatically deletes them out.

So, my apoligies that the links I provided don't appear anymore (if they ever did?). I've since rewritten the chapters to make up for this; if, however, there's a blank space where a link should be that makes no sense, feel free to mention it in a review or drop me an email.
Eyeken chapter 3 . 6/26/2005
I have noticed that when I write, it sounds like the paragraph that you had written("Bad"). But thanks to your help, i have learn to start using more sentence openers, and expand my imagination...
Kanthail chapter 7 . 6/26/2005
First, thank you for reviewing my story!

Second, I would like to point out that this is a most excellent guide to writing. Humurous at times, informative, and it provides excellent examples.

Now I have to go to the excuses: had some formatting problems uploading my story. I fized some of them (many times the dialogue existed in one paragraph, and not many), but I missed one. The most glaringly obvious formatting error was the letter at the end, which took a while to fix.

In regard to YOUR upload...

Chapter one is perfect. This is a mistake I believe many writers commit when trying to create a rich scenery. I'm also a culprit, though I try to get around it. Because you didn't direct me here, I can assume, I successfully accomplished one of my goals. You also specifically mentioned the detail in my writing.

Chapter two: somethign I had not considered, and with the way you write it, something most people don't consider. Thanks for the mini-tutorial here. While I probably won't be able to change my other story in time, another story that I'm writing will become much better, now that i've been introduced to this concept. Not having taken a formal writing course, or having read a book, this is a refresher for me. I believe I'll redirect many of the authors whose works I read.

The third chapter is wonderful. Repeatedly, I, or other authors, tend to forget to use descriptors or alternative nouns for the characters. This can educate the reader (I learned that Eyetk was a writer-though not too much of a surprise), but it also misses some nice opportunities to characterize-my favorite author's tool.

I liek the dialogue chapter, but there could be more (my first constructive criticism). Make sure to point out that in a multi-chaptered story (or even a short story), that not everything needs dialogue. Here is where i have (finally) simply reread a lesson I've learned from English teachers and fan sites. Perhaps you could suggest a variance between action descriptors and dialogue. For example, paragraphs where the character's actions speak for him/her, instead of dialogue. Just a thought.

Chapter 5-something I didn't learn from a teacher, book, or any other area. Something I learned on my own. Synonyms are wonderful. They add connotation to the words written on the paper, and possibly add a new angle. I know it's easy to be redundant, and I strive not to commit one of these errors when writing. This is another reason people need to read aloud. Try recommending -I use it regularly instead of Word's thesaurus.

I like your conclusion, it has helpful hints. Overall, I think your guide is invaluable. I would've suggested a section on commonly confused words, but those go with the stir-fry, and not the spice, to use your extended metaphor.

I could really easily see this being a pamphlet that you can give to writers in an English class, rather than a textbook. It covers the most important and basic things when enriching writing, and students could simply check the pamphlet if they're confused. The textbook would be a supplement to the pamhplet, not the other way around. I mean that as one of the highest complements I could offer-PUBLISH this.

Well, so long, and thank you for the review! I hope this pays you back adequately.
Celyn chapter 7 . 6/24/2005
Good idea, this... it can get frustrating repeating the same points over and over in reviews.

You could add something about punctuation and how it relates to speech marks... I've seen a few people have severe difficulty with it. Full stops where there should be commas, commas where there should be spaces, and spaces where there should be full stops... it doesn't bear thinking about. And something to explain "its" and "it's" once and for all, too.
Wild Child with a Twist chapter 4 . 6/24/2005
OMG a savior has arrived, I think this has been one of the most useful guides I have ever read. So i guess thanks!
Lady Essence chapter 6 . 6/23/2005
This is a good writing guide. Nice job!
justaghost chapter 4 . 6/22/2005
Hey. Well, first of all, I'd like to say that I'm not about to criticise this guide in any way, and also thanks for reviewing my newly uploaded story.

However, I appreciate that you wanted to help me out, but the story you reviewed isn't actually to be taken seriously. It's not one that I plan to take very far, it's just to pass the time while I'm bored - as are most of the stories I write. While I'm concentrating on my main priority within my stories, the others are just there to keep me thinking. Though I greatly appreciate you showing me the links to your guide, I pretty much knew all that stuff already. But it's good that you want to help writers as much as possible.
Mirror Images chapter 2 . 6/21/2005
Oh, this guide is so cute so far! Nice touch at the beginning; caught my attention. There seems to be some pretty useful stuff in here.
Eyetk chapter 1 . 6/21/2005
Wow! Thanks for all the reviews.

Also, thanks for the comment about making sure to note NOT to go just them over and over in the same order..it's since been updated. Er..feel proud that you got your name at the bottom of the page..?

Back to being serious, though-thanks for the input!

If you're looking for the meat and veggies, well, there's that other guide I mention on the intro. I highly advise you to read it..it's very good!

Perhaps in the future I'll try writing more guides like this, but, we shall see...

Oh, yes, one final comment. Should you happen to have an idea to add a chapter or two, or a point, either suggest it on here or drop me an email. You'll get credit for your input!
florida chapter 1 . 6/21/2005
hey this thing is really usefull I think that I'll come back to this story thing later on when I start writting another chapter it's really helping with my plot. From what I've read so far I have alot of spice (detail) but I need to have more serving from the meat and the vedgtable part of dinner. Thanks alot! ~florida
FilFil chapter 3 . 6/21/2005
I read the ones you told me to work on, and I find it very helpful, but in the sentence opening I think that maybe you should add a caution that says not to go through the list and when you get to the end start from the top again. That can kinda give your story a weird rythom. At least imho it can.
Quarantine chapter 7 . 6/20/2005
Well, this is a very nitpicky little guide on some of the details to writing a story, and I rather like it. I'd have to say it's much more serious than other 'how to write a story' works I've read on here, but still good. I think that the best chapters was about the sentence openers. Maybe I shall go and edit now. Or maybe later.
silverquill212 chapter 3 . 6/20/2005
I never expected to read anything like this, but I must say it is enlightening. Every time I write something I read and reread it to see if there's a way to turn a sentence around, to shake things up a bit, to keep the flow of the story interesting. Several people here on FP apparently pay no such attention to detail when writing, and it pleases me to see that someone is striving to change that. Anytime I see someone writing in such an un-paying-attention-to-detail manner, I will point them towards one of your guides.
108 | « Prev Page 1 .. 4 5 6 7 8 Next »