Reviews for Paper Chase
rrmehta364 chapter 1 . 11/2/2005
Su-lin reminds me a bit of my sister. shes normally up till one doing hw, and is president of every club in the school. funny how me, the slacker is more content with life. anyways, you write beautifully and is quite good considering this your first piece. look forward to reading some more of your poetry.
AikiChaos chapter 1 . 10/21/2005
Lol, i did something like that during my exams ( Went to Sleep ). And I think that I will do badly for my exams. Anyway, nice prose.

Hope you pass your exams!
Squidge VR6 chapter 1 . 10/10/2005
Aww! Wow... the amount of pressure... AWESOME writing, as per usual... wow... just... simply... WOW
simin chapter 1 . 10/1/2005
I love this! It sounds like something I would like to do. Honestly we ought to be freed from this horrible momotonous mechanical life.
dry sherry chapter 1 . 7/18/2005
Hi, I am one of the "fellow sufferers" Eyes Unclouded mentioned in her review, and I am a Paper Chaser -. Although I can't pretend to be as . . . committed, I guess, as Eyes or Su-Lin are, I do understand what you're talking about. I am one of those unfortunate people who are feverishly (and often demonically) affected by the sight of a perfect score on their paper or test, while at the same time possessing the terrible trait of procrastination. While I can't really relate to Su-Lin writing this paper on time (or, at least, I'm guessing she's writing it on time), I know what it's like to staying up late at night/early in the morning writing a friggin paper that your teacher will no doubt barely glance at despite your painstakingly chosen words (this is starting to look like a run-on sentence, but oh well, those are my friends -.-;). I think you captured these emotions nicely here, and the transition between her writing the paper and her "rebellious" thoughts was good, too. I liked how you included what she wrote (though I must admit to a raised eyebrow at her actions) and the sentence "Typing, pathetic and weak, instead of actual doing" sums it up quite nicely. It frustrates me how this piece ended - although it couldn't have ended any other way - because it means that I (the pathetic procrastinator) will be staying up to all imaginable hours of day, writing my summer reports for school. Oh the woes of the stubborn and anal.
Eyes Unclouded chapter 1 . 7/18/2005
OMG - it's like you wrote this about *me*! How many times have I sat at the computer, typing a stupid essay I knew my teacher would never read, going the extra mile to make sure it was pure, free of errors, and stapling it perfectly, with the staple perfectly diagonal in the corner, and centering the title just slightly above the middle of the front cover. And for what? Poor Su-Lin - I totally understand how she feels! It's like we've been brainwashed into doing this, so that somehow stumbling over a little schoolwork means instant death. And then, I've read people's entries on college forums in which they list nigh twenty extracurricular activities and a plethora of outstanding awards and have the nerve to ask if they can get into a particular college. ARGH! Bragging warthogs!

Damn... I'm sorry this was such a rant, but this story really made me angry that we're expected to work so hard. To be honest, I've been thinking about this dilemma for a long time, because I've been meaning to try not studying for a test sometime, but I haven't the guts. [Between you and me, I wrote The Arts of Fire because I wanted to consider the meaning of always doing best for the sake of others and not for yourself.]

Hey, if your story got me *this* fired up, it must be great, right? Sorry this wasn't much of a critical review. Great job! I shall recommend this to my fellow sufferers.
melody mama chapter 1 . 6/24/2005
OMG, I can totally compare to this completely. I'm so sick of being the honors student, the one with good grades. And its not my parents who have pushed it on me, its myself. I have to get good grades to get into a UC, but I'm tired. And I have now recieved my first C and to add to that two of them. I almost cried in front of my math teacher. I'll never get into the college I want with two C's on my record. But I still can't push myself to give up my honors path, I'll keep pushing myself. Very well written. You're a great author. Keep writing.*M.M.*
onlyshallow chapter 1 . 6/20/2005
this actually makes me very sad. she was so close to being free, you know? very good job.
midsea chapter 1 . 6/20/2005
Oh..this is amazingly written! I really loved reading this. It's all too true.

The twist was great, how everyone thought she would set herself free but in the end still fell victim to her academic standards.

Good work.