Reviews for The Promotion
poppy chapter 30 . 3/3/2012
I hope you still receive reviews... :)

I just read this story in the last couple days and am caught up on the last 30 chapters. I was not present for the Jenna-is-a-slut war or whatever that was, and honestly, was not on that bandwagon. Because Jenna is AWESOME. What is so great about this story is that your characters are very believable. Yes, between the characters, there is some stereotyping like oh-Kim's-a-whore and oh-he's-a-cheater, but that happens in REAL LIFE too. And the best part is, any stereotypes become exactly what real-life stereotypes are, maybe superficially possible, but then they do something different and surprise you. I can't really give an example, but that's just what it feels like. And then there are characters who are completely surprising, like the best-friend role is found in Marie who makes a really awesome mom who can actually balance being the mom and the best friend at the same time. (But I kind of miss Jessica...she'd be a good alternative to Marie, Jenna needs more people. And it shows, when she starts talking about how she doesn't make friends, friends are kind of necessary now or she'll just close herself in and the decision will be even harder. I think if she had a group of good friends outside of the whole drama, maybe things would be put in perspective, the world isn't going to end if she isn't with Wesley in a traditional family, etc..but sadly she doesn't have a bunch of other friends which I'm sure you did on purpose!:) )

Though I'd never find myself in Jenna's position, I completely sympathize with her-of course she's confused! Like any big decision, she's going to be going back-and-forth and people are going to try to influence her decision, and she's going to try to make a pro-con list, but eventually, she'll have to go with her heart. Personally, I feel like however great Wesley might be right NOW after he realized how much he wanted this family, there's still something missing, and unless they actually figure it out, it's not going to work. And maybe Kim's still the problem, but I don't think Wesley's issues end there...Kim certainly caused his emotional wall issues, but she is (hopefully) effectively out of his life now, so if there's still something missing in the Wenna relationship (which I think there is), we can't just dump all the blame on Kim. But I was so proud of Wesley for calling Jon. He finally put Jenna first...he had always put her first financially, but as far as happiness goes, it had always been himself first, from the very beginning, being the fake fiancee, moving in with him, even adopting a child was the ideal way for Wesley to start the family he wanted.

And now for Jon...oh, Jon. He's really my favorite, he reminds me of a lot of my favorite fictional characters, from Gone with the Wind, from Gossip Girl, oh the list could go on...My first impression of him was ohhh a kinda sexist sleazeball, and all the stereotypes are screaming PLAYER, and then he turns around and surprises you by actually being really sweet. I hope Jenna ends up with him because there isn't a huge hole in their relationship. There are obstacles, sure, because no matter what, Jon is Wesley's FAMILY, he isn't going to try to hurt Wesley, no matter how much competition there is between them. Jon is refreshingly honest (and those should right away be warning bells for Jenna-if honest is REFRESHING, there's definitely something missing with Wenna) and I know Jenna got kind of offended with the cavalier jokes and stuff, but I think that's how Jon acts to shield his own emotions. Wesley hides things by being discreet, pretending nothing is happening, WORKING ALL THE TIME, but Jon hides things with his jokes. All of his no-hard-feelings stuff...I didn't think it was because he didn't care. I thought it was because he wanted Jenna to be HAPPY, and he tried to secure his role as a friend in the case that Jenna chose Wesley by telling her that there would be no hard feelings. And the joking the next morning? I think he knows that if Jenna saw him unhappy she'd feel even more guilty-he's trying to keep her happy! And even though the grand gestures are nice, where the guy begs you, tells you don't choose him because I love you, stuff like that, Jon wasn't about to do that in a country where Wesley and Jenna are sponsoring an orphanage, an idea that happened before he really came on the scene, and actually finding a child that they want to adopt. He's not going to do that with Wesley breathing down their necks and when it seems like, for the first time in a while, Jenna is ACTUALLY HAPPY. I think he's hiding his deeper emotions toward Jenna, not so much out of pride (Wesley's downfall) but out of a wish to see Jenna happy. And when he makes jokes and realizes Jenna is offended, he stops. He always stops when it seems like he's gone too far unlike Wesley and his Kim addiction (though I guess he kicked that). And when he didn't tell her his room number? He wasn't really ruling himself out, eliminating the choice. Maybe I'm reading way too much into it, but I think that he wanted her to know that he was there, he wanted her...but he knew his cousin would be the better choice. He wants her to be happy and well-cared-for. Right now, Jenna needs a guy who will take care of her, treat her like a princess. This is due to her post-Trevor mothering...now she needs a guy who will mother her so in turn she can be Anya's mother. And down the line, Jon will figure something out, or Jenna will figure herself out, and it won't be so necessary anymore. Jon wasn't pushing her toward Wesley because he didn't want her, it's just that he's putting her above everything that he wants, and he knows there's going to be quite a bit of regret if she goes with him and then her daughter has separate parents and it'll just be quite difficult. So anyway...I think Jon really loves Jenna (well, as much as can be possible in a few weeks). Wesley has had far more opportunity to fall in love with her, and he hasn't. You know what I always wondered about? Does Jon have a list of the things he likes about Jenna? I mean, Jon, being quite honest, probably the first thing he'd say is he asked her out because she's attracted and to piss off his cousin. But I think somehow his list would be a little more meaningful-looking at Wesley's list, she helps perfect strangers, she's caring, she's close to her mother, she's humble...they're almost like a perfect match to what Wesley thinks would make a good mother. I think Jon would find different things, littler things, like her fondness for pink martinis or something-something that doesn't necessarily make her top candidate for mom but actually just adorably Jenna.

Well, I hope you got through my rambling! I hope you don't mind all my weird speculations. To me, it won't really matter in the end if Jenna ends up with Wesley, Jon, or all by her lonesome because I know that you will tie up anything missing. Obviously, I'm rooting for Jon at this point, but if you brought another twist in where GASP Wenna doesn't have a gaping hole in the middle of their relationship anymore, I would switch to cheering for Wesley. I love Jenna, and so I know that you will tie up the loose ends in either relationship to make sure that Jenna will be happy. And really, that's all that matters for me:)

I hope you read the insanely long review:)and I hope you come back and update this story to make sure Jenna gets her happy ending (unless you killed her off or something, which I doubt you'd do, and I'd probably be crying, but I'd still be happy with closure I guess)
Lissie chapter 7 . 2/29/2012
When I read the part where Jenna calls him 'Westley' I seriously screamed THE PRINCESS BRIDE. Because I didn't make that connection before. And so then it just made the As you wish thing from a previous chapter that much more awesome. Anyway I'm really loving this story so far, I've never been interested in fictionpress before (been more of a fanfiction person) but someone recommended this story, and I can't stop reading it! I hope you update soon!
meee chapter 15 . 2/17/2012
Just so you know, Utah does not have very many polygamists. haha i've lived in Utah almost 15 years and i have never, not once, met a polygamist, because more than 60% of the state is Mormon. and yes, Mormons are monogamist. haha so anyways(: just thought i'd let you know since everyone thinks this about Utah(: oh and no, there are not a whole lot of farms and fields either. most of it is suburbs, not country. so anyways(:

loves from meee(:
sakilyn chapter 30 . 1/3/2012
I just read all thirty chapters in one day (because I'm on break so I had the time) and getting to the last chapter where Jenna and Marie are speaking about how Wesley seems more in it for Anya than for Jenna herself correlated with what I saw on TV today. I was re-watching Jerry Maguire and the part where they break up, Renee Zellweger says something along the lines of, "On the surface, you'd almost think everything was fine. See, I've got this great guy who loves my kid and he sure does like me a lot. I can't live that way." I was just struck by how accurate it seemed to describe Jenna's situation.

Anyways, I really enjoyed reading this update when you can.
ktartified chapter 12 . 12/17/2011
im in love with this!but robin gets on my neeves. she talks way to effing much! haha but awesome job! im hooked(:
sophiesing chapter 30 . 11/15/2011
Ahh I couldn't believe she picked Wesley and now poor Jon's getting drunk in Paris. I hope Jenna ends up with him!

You need to update! I can't wait until the next chapter.
sophiesing chapter 25 . 11/15/2011
I truly love this story. Though I'm getting rather annoyed with all those mean reviews you're getting! You're the author and you should take this story where you want it to go. I like how your characters have flaws and they're HUMAN. It isn't the typical story that you read on fictionpress where the guy is absolutely perfect and blah blah blah. At the beginning I really liked Wesley and I thought Jon was a real womanizer, but I like how you've twisted it to where Wesley is not perfect and he's actually cheating. I do hope Jenna ends up with Jon, he seems more her type than Wesley.

As for the adoption part, it was a little random, but I definitely see your character's motivation as to why she wants to adopt a child. However, I am personally a single mom, and while I think it's great what she wants to do, timing is VERY important. If you think about it, while Wesley is loaded, she has no independence. Wanting a child for the purpose of not being alone and to take it out of poverty is noble, but it's a huge responsibility. I don't feel as if your character understands that. It's not enough to want to better a child's life, I know first hand how hard it is to be independent while raising a child. It's very hard, and personal relationships are nonexistent. I just wish that Jenna would wait a year or two before adopting because she's only 23. To be tied down with children so young isn't bad, but it does set limits to dating and experiences. I love my daughter, I wouldn't change anything, but I wish I'd been only a couple years older.
Sayuri. J chapter 30 . 11/2/2011
I like this chapter, looks as if Wesley is screwing up :)
Sayuri. J chapter 29 . 11/2/2011
Wesley appears to have gotten better over the last 2 or 3 but I just cannot bring myself to like him. 25 (/-) chapters of prick behaviour has me convinced that he's... well, still a prick. I'm gutted that Jenna picked him. I'm hoping there's more drama with Wesley because I fully expect him to screw up. Again X3. Then maybe Jenna can finally kick his butt to the curb and eat pancakes! Speaking of Jon, I wonder what he lied about because it certainly couldn't have been about Paris with the way he said it!
madkatter chapter 30 . 9/22/2011
Jon - Get off your drunken ass and come back to fight for her!

Wesley - Go and work for the Paris office (and don't rush coming back...ever)
smrae chapter 30 . 9/14/2011
Fantastic story! Stumbled upon it and I'm so happy I did. I love Wesley with Jenna. Did not like Jon at all haha. I'm happy she chose wesley and they will totally fall in love. Please update soon!
silver.trees chapter 30 . 8/27/2011
thanks so much for your comment, sam! lots of my questions brought up here with jenna's mum, marie, the voice of reason. i can only see jon allaying these niggling thoughts though as only HE can answer them. and what did he say to robin i wonder? all or part of the truth? was that jon genuinely drowning his sorrows (he seems so in control but maybe this is an example of showing his feelings?) or a sneaky ploy to set things unravelling...i'm way too suspicious for my own liking! you're driving me crazy with the guessing so update soon,plz ...i kinda value my sanity (what's left of it that is)
SunlitSky chapter 29 . 8/23/2011
Good lord girl, that chapter was long! More to love I guess haha. I don't actually know what I'm going to do with myself when I finish chapter 30- just like Jenna I've been terribly spoiled; I didn't find this story until now, so I've gotten to read 30 chapters straight through. Now I'm going to have to *gasp* wait for the next chapter. Oh the suspense!

I'm interested in where this is going. It make me sad that Jon got booted out, especially after flying half way around the world. Ouch. I don't know about Wesley. I'm still wary and not too thrilled with Jenna's choice- I just feel like Wesley (who I often read as Weasley by the way, which makes it hard for me to take him seriously) is pretty sketchy. I feel like he's going to return to his reticent self. And the love? I don't know, I'm just not feeling it. There's no chemistry between them. They feel like friends not lovers. Sigh...

Great job though. Please, please become a published author. You truly are talented, and I would totally buy your books. )
SunlitSky chapter 23 . 8/23/2011
I cannot even express how much I like this story- it's just insanely fantastic. I love the character dynamics, all their witty retorts, and even their personalities. I've noticed that a lot of your author notes mention that other people think Jenna's a slut- *I* certainly don't.

As far as female leads go, I think she's a pretty likable person, though I'm worried that Wesley is disappointing me. At the beginning when they traded jokes at work and she visited his family I LOVED him, but quite frankly I can't stand him any more. Jon just seems so so SO much better- he is apparently the only one with a sense of humor now, he takes the time to appreciate Jenna and give her thoughtful gifts rather than throw money in her direction, actually has fun with her, isn't so intense about kids etc. Ugghh, I hate Wesley now. She really needs to dump him ans live happily ever after with Jon. ...except I don't think that's going to happen, which makes me sad. But, as of right now I am reaaaaallllyyy hoping that she'll end up with Jon. Oh well, guess I'll find out!

Thanks for sharing your story with us. )
DaRoSeOfWaR chapter 30 . 8/6/2011
I love this story so much. I'd honestly hate for it to end, but all good things have to come to an end.

This chapter left me thinking that she is going to choose Jon. I'm really hoping she does. I mean I love Wesley and all, but as the chapters wore on and you found out how shadey he with Kim I have lost some of my love for him. He's a great charater and so is Jon, but Wesley just needs to . . . . put his wallet away. If that makes any sense. Jenna's mother is right; I don't believe Wesley is in love with Jenna. Or Jenna with him.

I could be gravely wrong though.

Please update soon.