Reviews for The Raptor Papers
mothling chapter 2 . 9/26/2005
I completely agree; it is asinine to elevate ourselves above animals when we are, in fact, animals-more advanced, of course, but that is like saying a person who is mentally retarded is 'less human' or 'thinks less' or whatever than a genius. We protect our own who aren't 'as intellegent'-we should extend the same courtesy to animals. Animals do have intellegence, in my opinion. Anyway good articles. :)
Destron chapter 9 . 8/4/2005
"Now when I say neutral, I don’t mean I stay clear of the topic. I, in a sense, support both sides at once."

I disagree. You're still pro-choice. You just happen to belong in the camp of "choose it if you have to after exhausting all alternatives."

You are not neutral once you say you are choosing sides. Being neutral is to not say anything about either arguments. I'm sure there's a much better word that you ought to be looking for but it escapes me too at this moment. Anyone?
Lunerith chapter 17 . 7/14/2005
I think the term "geek" has been changed to fanboy these days, at least it is used for people who are part of something that has a very strong following and they are very proud to be part of it.

Maybe the reason they didn't like the series was because it is very long. Watching a movie for and hour and thirty minutes is easier than watching hours and hours of episodes.
Lunerith chapter 4 . 7/14/2005
You do bring up some good points, but not all teachers act this way, and if you did mean that not all teachers act this way then I think you should have mentioned it somewhere, at least once. I've had teachers ask me if anything was wrong. I've also stayed after school and just talked to them about things other than school. I do admit that it is easiest to do this with new teachers.

I do agree that grades aren't everything, and it is not fair that just because we did poorly in a subject, we didn't even want to take, that it brings everything else down.

I also think children should be given more control of their classes during middle school and high school. I'm mostly talking about required classes for high school.

Have a Good Life
Lunerith chapter 3 . 7/14/2005
I don't agree with the Child vs. Parent thing. Parents ask for things to get done and expect them to get done at certain time. You could ask why you have to do it now. They may give a good reason, or they may not. The point is to do it so you can help out and get them off your back.

Your mowing the lawn analogy doesn't really work. What if in the six hours that you didn't do it, after you were asked, it rained or started to rain. It would either be hard on the lawn mower, or be put off another day. You might even have to stay home to do it when you already had plans to do something else. What if it was very late at night when you did do. I don't think your parents would be at all happy if your neighbors called the people are really anal about noise too and can't stand any after certain times. Even if they aren't really all that late.

So really, just save yourself some grief and do what you're told when told.

You're also only giving half of the story. Maybe you should try and give the other person's point of view. It's really not at all hard

No Hard Feelings and Have a Good Life
Tiefling chapter 12 . 7/10/2005
You don't seem to understand, there is a difference between just being unhappy sometimes and clinical depression.

'In my opinion, you have to attack mental diseases with instincts and gut feelings, not using a fancy sheet of paper with your name on it in gold letters.'

Spoken like someone who has no idea what they're talking about.

With the best will in the world friends and family will not necessarily be able to do anything for someone with clinical can be caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain. Sometimes only medication and therapy will help.
Tiefling chapter 2 . 7/10/2005
Not bad, though it could use a little proof would be a good idea to give these chapters titles, so your readers have some idea what they're about.

Being an Agnostic, I don't think we can know whether there is such a thing as a soul. Maybe they exist, maybe not. Maybe all things have them, maybe nothing does.

'Animals have souls. That’s it. They just do. '

What a compelling arguement! Note sarcasm.

'They are a living thing just like humanity.'

So are plants and fungi. Do you believe that they have souls too?

'No one can say they don’t because they can’t prove that they don’t.'

Why not? You're saying they do when you can't prove that they do.

'As for the animal intelligence argument. If animals didn’t have any sort of intelligence, as people keep saying, then they wouldn’t be able to walk, or eat, or know there way around the houses they stay in, or differentiate some smells from others. '

Anyone who says that humans are the only animals with any sort of intelligence is clearly wrong. However, they have varying degrees of intelligence.

Note also that many animals can't walk or differentiate between smells etc. You don't necessarily need intelligence to eat (creatures like oysters can eat, and they don't have anything much in the way of a brain). Even some plants eat (venus fly traps, pitcher plants, sundews) and they don't have brains at all. Thus, not all animals are intelligent.

'We like to think that since nothing else on this planet can build houses and skyscrapers and all that stuff that we’re superior. '

Nothing else on this planet *can* build houses and skyscrapers, so in that sense we are superior. It's not a matter of 'liking to think' it, it's a fact.

'Animals have a society to. The ecosystem. '

That should be 'too', not 'to'.The ecosystem is not a animals do have a sort of society eg. other primates, herd animals etc. 'For instance, lions hunt in packs, birds fly in flocks.'True, that is a social structure. It is not, however, an ecosystem. Look it up.
Tiefling chapter 1 . 7/10/2005
How on earth is a rant about online dating relevant to a political philosophy class?

'Meeting someone online is much different then doing it the natural way. In fact, it takes away something from the natural way. '

The phrase 'the natural' way is odd. What's the natural way, whacking a woman over the head with a club like a caveman? Dating is always going to be artificial.

Meeting someone online has some positives- since you get to know the person first before you see what they look like your dececision is more likely to based on personality than looks.

Online dating's not for me (well, dating of any kind isn't since I'm not looking for someone) and it's obviously not for you, but it seems to work for some people.

'If you already know something about someone then you would become more nervous asking that person a question.'

I have never found that to be the case.
Astral Ferret Warlord chapter 6 . 7/9/2005
True, ver true, I too am for gay rights but am sick as hell about hearing them whine all the time about it unless they actually are being abused (The St. John the Batist case) Sorry this wont be a very constructive review, but anyways, this was well written but could you maybe make your essays longer in le futura?