Reviews for Faith in a Test Tube
SpawnMeister666 chapter 5 . 1/30/2007
This is an interesting and surreal piece, and one that I'm not sure how to take.

I'm curious about what happened to the religious experts that were gathered together at the start, only for us to hear nothing about them afterwards.

As a piece on how it can be dangerous to give scientists too much power, it is an interesting way to put the argument across.

As for whether people would know right and wrong without outside influences, I believe that the answer to that is no, we need to be taught what is right and what is wrong.

Does this mean that we should all believe in God? Again, I'm inclined to think not.

Do you need to believe in God to think things like rape, murder, theft, and adultery are wrong, or is that just common sense?

Is it not possible that religion was only formed as a way of taking a very large number of primitive people who were not really aware of what society, as we would know it these days, is, and control them in a way that you could slowly, over a period of time, teach them the difference between right and wrong.

It's the original carrot and stick method. Be good, you go to Heaven and all of your dreams come true, be bad, and it's Hell for you instead where all your nightmares come true.

Useful at the time of it's inception, but I think for the most part these days completely over-rated and certainly used by too many people as an excuse for wrong-doing, which is completely defeating the object of the whole thing!

Spawny
temblance chapter 1 . 12/19/2005
WOw. A very interesting start. I found a few grammar mistakes, but for the most part it was good. it will be interesting to see how you write this, and how you argue the point that god does/doesn't exist.
RuathaWehrling chapter 1 . 8/17/2005
Hi there again! This looks like an interesting story, so I think I'll give it a shot.

1.) "To punctuate his words, Pennington threw the doors open" - I think you mean "Mike".

2.) "Lots of people believe in God, though, and that many people can’t all be wrong." - HA! Bad answer! Lots of people believed the Sun went around the Earth once, too, and look where THAT got them. But anyhow, that's criticism for your character, not for you.

3.) "different people perceive it in different day" - Typo? "day" or "ways?

4.) "Jaspers contact with people" - "Jasper's". And I agree - that's cruel!

5.) What sort of things do you read that don't teach you (indirectly) right from wrong, at least in some fashion?

6.) " This is the only way of life ever known." - You're missing a "he is" here.

Youch! That's harsh! A good premise for a story, though. I'll be back to read on later! Good luck! -Ruatha
Alankria chapter 1 . 8/16/2005
A very interesting prologue you have here. A good idea, and it's great to see someone not afraid of the Christian sensibilities banded about in America. Well written (grammar, spelling, whatnot) and intriguing. I do feel *very* sorry for the boy Jasper though, and I agree with Pennington's thoughts- is he really living a life? I will read more another time.