Reviews for Guide For Fictionpress Reviews
Valylene chapter 5 . 5/10/2010
Yoyos.

I realize that this was put up a long time ago, but I figured, "Hey, why not take a note from this person and review! The manly (womanly?) way!" So. Here I am. Reviewing. Yah. I have a couple things I wanted to say, mostly centring around the fact that I agree with and disagree with a lot of points you make regarding how to write a story and get reviews and feedback for it. While keeping in mind that this was put up a long time ago, I also realize that in that time you may have changed you opinion or decided to mentally add to or detract from what you say here. Keeping all this in mind, I'm reviewing, and if I touch a nerve, well, that's my problem I guess.

First off, what really struck me was how presumptuous this all sounded. In the first segment or so where you were describing the "Do"s and "Stay Away From"s, it sounded as though you were dictating what people should and shouldn't do. I agree with you on the fact that some things just shouldn't be done, no matter what, but overall, a person is going to write in the way they WANT to write, or in the manner that seems best and most timely for them. Some people just write for the heck of it and don't give a damn about spelling, description, punctuation, syntax and grammar on an overall scale. Some people are too preoccupied with the fact that there's a slight chance they might get 500 reviews and reach "Internet Stardom" through FP. Other people (and there really are too few of these) really are interested in furthering their writing process and skills. But what I mean is that it seemed to me like you were trying to tell your readers what they could and could not do based on the way that you think and write - or have written, in the case that you've gone on hiatus or otherwise stopped writing since '05. To me, writing is a freedom of choice; where I can choose whether I want to add in the propositional phrases and all those commas and whacky character names that have sixteen vowels and two consonants. But hey, that's just me.

Secondly, when I was getting towards the bottom of the page and going, "Okay, what's going ON here? This is about WRITING a story, not REVIEWS!" I saw the "use italics" bit and was like, "YES! YES! YES! FINALLY! SOMEONE WHO GETS IT!" (And of course, my caps would all be in italics if the review allowed it. -.-)

I don't particularly agree about reading a writer's bio to understand what their personality is like and how proper they are with literary devices or how they use them in the face of the alternative: not at all. But I'm lazy by nature; clicking a writer's penname is too much work if the summary looks promising. For me, it's either "I like it" or "I don't" and I'll close the tab and go back to browsing. I think this applies to a lot of people, but I definitely see the merit in looking at a bio. One really big defining feature regarding this that I think you could have included in the summaries - because, really, that's the first place a person's going to look, isn't it? - is spelling awareness. If the summary is written in leet or chat speak ("'i think ur going 2 die 2day' he said angshusly") or personal comments being in leet or chat speak, it's a pretty good indicator that you really don't want to read that person's story, unless you can stand it and have patience for that kind of thing. I don't - I'm pretty damn strict about what happens in the stuff I read and the stuff I don't read as a result.

Overall, I got the feeling that there were only one or two good tips in this (what is it? Essay? Guide? Reference? Personal experience?) that contributed getting reviews based on technique rather than content. I think content is equally as important in getting reviews, but I think those things might have been suggested or highlighted more clearly or added on to more, rather than just left the way they were in the manner they were presented.

Oh! Another thing I might have put in here if I was the one writing it is hostage situations. I hate it when I see that. No writer has the right to take their story for hostage just because they aren't getting the amount of reviews they want per update. Grr, that ticks me off.

Anyway, thanks for the read!
Fairytale x chapter 5 . 12/21/2009
Thank you for this. It really helped. c: You are right about flames. I got some when I was thirteen and just started fanfiction . net. It was pretty mean and I think, being my over emotional self, cried about them and deleted my story. Yes, my story was really bad and deserved them but that one I got was very crule and I've sort of hated constructive critasism since then. I think when they get personal, that's when they turn to flames. :s

But yes, sorry about that. I really liked this! Thank you for posting it. c:
zfwblubdgbmijn chapter 5 . 7/24/2009
I thought this was really helpful, especially the tips in Chapter 1! It's a really nice idea to try and help out other writers on FictionPress. I'd love it if you would R&R my work as you really seem to know your stuff. Thanks :)
blingvy chapter 5 . 7/10/2009
Thank you very much for taking the time and effort to help new, inspiring, and perhaps even experienced, writers.

In my opinion, this was not only a "Guide For Fictionpress Reviews," but also a guide for writing in a thoughtful, thorough way. This was very easy to understand, straight to the point, provided both a reader's and writer's point of view, and was overall, a very productive read.

the-redmercedes chapter 1 . 7/10/2009
ahahahah...even though you said all that and throughly explained reviewing, i dont think i am doing it correctly, but i'll try anyway. and it was helpful, and i'll take it to my grave..nah. okay i'm sorry, maybe i will, i'm not sure. it depends when i die, and how old i am and if my memory is still intact or fading, or on whatever else may happen that causes me to forget this guide to reviewing.

But seriously if i had not have read this, then i would have never realised that i had been doing exactly what you weren't meant to do, and exactly what pissed people off, and turns them off reading. luckily i'm new to fictionpress, and i can start afresh! so i'm quite happy. well thats all i wanted to say. that and thank you.

so...thank you.
Casablanca Dreams chapter 5 . 7/7/2009
Thanks so much for the guide! It was super-helpful, and now I have a bunch of ideas on how to improve my story and my writing!
theholyromanempire chapter 5 . 6/28/2009
I just wanted to say you've given some great advice! Might I suggest adding a bit about long author's notes within chapters? I know it annoys me when a good story has author's notes at the start of each chapter. At the end, it's better.

But now I feel like I'm rambling. Thanks again for the good advice.

C.H. Morgan
Mystic-Spiritus chapter 5 . 6/16/2009
Amazing guide. You addressed a lot of things that I believe needed to be addressed and more.
history943 chapter 5 . 5/26/2009
I find it very interesting . You speaks about accents but sometimes i didn't understand because of the accents (maybe i didn't understand because i am french, but for me ,the accents are not a godd things ).
celinekool chapter 1 . 5/22/2009
Umm... how would you describe a fight scene between two brothers?
Paige Cruz chapter 5 . 5/8/2009
Well, that was insightful.

Pretty new at FictionPress, but I've got my FanFiction account way back since when... but you could say I'm still new. Aspiring, even.

Great examples. I loved how you elaborated on the 'cabin'. Haha. And the Fallen Angel? I must have been neglecting my Christian Humanism studies because I've never really thought of it that way.

I'll go visit your profile now. See? It works! :)
Darkness.Is.Energy chapter 5 . 3/24/2009
You would not believe how much this has helped me out. Thank you so much for writing this.
Lolly Tolly chapter 5 . 1/29/2009
This was very informative, and extremely helpful. Thanks for putting this out there, I'll try to incorporate some of that advice!
Classychik chapter 5 . 11/13/2008
Wow, this is some good information. Thanks, I'm really going to take this to use!:)

~Classychik!:D
Duuude chapter 5 . 10/30/2008
You don't know how helpful that was! I, myself, am a new writer. And I need all the help I can get. I've been fishing around with it for a few years but only just worked up the courage to throw something out there.

Anyway, I'm not too sure I'm an amazing reviewer but this has helped.

Thanks for this, especially the story section. I am getting the guide to creative writing for sure.

And I liked the reading crap and then reading good stuff thing, it makes a lot of sense actually.
119 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 .. Last Next »