Reviews for Guide For Fictionpress Reviews
j.c-chic chapter 5 . 10/29/2008
heh, that was really useful and quite awesome ;)

a lot of it was common sense, but then again common sense isn't very common now, is it? tehe.

well since you hold such great advice i shall now run over to ur bio, read it frantically and then proceed to read all of your stories according to how many reviews there are.

on a side note, summaries are what draw me in. an added bonus is the amount of reviews the story is showing me- if 5 chapters by an author generates 3 reviews, its not worth reading. if it gets 30 or more, that's my style;)

i live for myrika and lovelyhead- who of course, still hasn't updated this time last yr (i'm still waiting!)

anyway, 5 star advice, couldn't have written it better. killer examples used too. i hate when descriptions are overdone. but then i hate when people say 'she went into the woods. she saw a cottage. she went into the cottage.' or something like that. my kinda style would be..

'Crunch.'

"Who-who's there?" she asked tentatively. She glanced around quickly. Nothing answered her call except the faint rustle of the wind. Shivering, she spotted a battered old cottage across the hill.

'Maybe I can seek shelter there..' she thought.

m, but that's my style. not really a fan of descriptions, but thats just me. simplicity at its best.

thanks so much for the rad advice, i'm sure it's helped a lot of rookies out there!

-j.c-chic
Dreaming Wonderland chapter 2 . 9/18/2008
so this is really helpful:)

thanks for this
Violet Thelaw chapter 5 . 8/18/2008
I realized, after reading the whole thing...

it's true! and the one I took note was the first chapter. the one which says... it has to be entertaining and all those...

thanks for posting this! it really helped!
Violet Thelaw chapter 2 . 8/1/2008
this is great! I'll read the rest... :D and i'll review later XD
a.l chapter 5 . 2/23/2008
Hmm, I can't say I learned anything NEW, but I did get a REVIEW. haha... Get it? Review of writing from a story about reviews... *cough* Anyway.

I first got into the online writing scene through Harry Potter fanfiction, and I'm not sure if you've read any, but Mary-Sues are inevitable in some character genres. Good thing for Remus and Tonks, because those are the only fics with consistent authors! After the Mary-Sue invasion there, fictionpress 'Sues didn't seem all that bad. But that's probably because I couldn't call out Hermione for a cleavage alert, but had to shiver through the Mary-Sue in order to give any sort of input other than: "Well, it seems we have a Sue..."

This was an informative essay for the new explorers in the writing scene, and my favorite part had to be when you talked about pennames and Fallen Angel. Also flames. The review you supplied, I admit, made the corners of my mouth quirk, but the thought of the poor writer when they see new mail in their inbox, giddily laughing when they noticed it's a review, and then they see THAT. I remember my first CC-vent-like review. Eugh.
Night Skies Starry Lies chapter 5 . 2/10/2008
That was not at all a "quip to sound bossy or arrogant." If anything, it made you seem compassionate, or empathetic towards the other potention authors (as I preferr to call them, because it beats being called an amateur) In utter honesty though, this is my first review and I'm rather enjoying it due to the fact that you've taken your own time to help others with their creativity and criticsm. As a new writer on this site, I know that any little help can go a long way and that flattery gets you nowhere in writing. It's nice to realize that there are still people who are willing to lend a helping hand to those who want or need it.
dragonflydreamer chapter 5 . 1/14/2008
Thanks so much for this essay. I think it was one of the most informative essays abour writing I've ever read, yet I wasn't falling asleep on my keyboard while I was reading it. You also didn't seem to bossy or arrogant, just straight forward. I really hate it when people cany coat everything they say, even when it's meant to be constructive criticism. Which will probably be what I seem like I'm doing now... Ahh! I honestly can't think of any of any constructive criticism. I do usually try to put some because it doesn't help the author much to just hear their work complemented over and over. Well, as you've said, it's not really a normal writing piece. I did notice one gramatical error (which is amazing for something of this length, may I point out *envy*): in "...how to be a thirty-yer-old computer programmer," you forgot the "a" in "year." At least I could be of some help to you. Overall, great job! I think this will really help me a lot as a writer, and I'm sure many other people feel the same.

P.S. Here's some good news for someone who gets as many reviews as you do: I haven't posted any significant work yet, so you have no obligation to read my work (which I feel bad considering to be an obligation of people I review anyway)! I'll try to check out some of your other work when I get a chance; you sound like a very good (amateur) writer!

...Wow, that was a long review. Sorry...
Ally Moose chapter 4 . 1/14/2008
Heyy, you will probably think that my review is stupid and I can't exactly remember all the comments you made about reviewing, but I just want to say that this really helps. The way you said to develop the characters and add more detail to really give the reader a clip of what you are imagining for your story but still letting them use a little of their own imagination. I don't think that I will ever develop the discipline to write a story on here because of the chapters and how long the story would be, but on the stories that I write for my english class and stuff, this really helps, so thanks! XD
soccer diva chapter 5 . 12/27/2007
Some insight into getting reviews was very helpful, so thanks! I only have one story posted, so I was really hoping that a lot of insight would flow in. Wrong. All of my friends kept telling me how good it was, but when I didn't get a lot of reviews, I guess I kind of got paraniod, starting doubting my writing ability. I love to read, so I read tons of stories on this sight. I would like to think I'm a nice person, so I review on almost all of them, and I try to put in some 'why' to back up my comments. I just about gave myself a concussion when I read about posting chapters slowly. I posted the first three chapters (about 40 words!) all at once. And then I left it there for a really long time, almost two months, waiting for reviews. I got two. So then I started posting chapters about once every one to three days. Yeah, taking it really slow there. So anyway, I completely agreed with your advice, and I'm happy to say that I have at least been making an effort to abide by it, if not completely succeeding. So anyway, thanks again!
Rachel McMaster chapter 5 . 11/29/2007
Thank you for posting this. While I (hopefully) already employ a lot of what you talk about, I appreciate that you laid it out so well.

-RM
Lady Glass chapter 5 . 11/5/2007
I'm usually not one to read things like this as I'm not one to hunt down reviews, but somehow I stumbled upon it and decided to click anyway. I like your style, short, snappy, and a great sense of humor.

Reviews or not, I'm looking up more of your stuff. :)
The Talented Mr. Evan chapter 2 . 9/27/2007
So I basically read this while under the impression you were a guy. Not that it changes my view of the story.

Wow, I'm really boosting up your reviews, ain't I?
The Talented Mr. Evan chapter 1 . 9/27/2007
Oops. It was Mack, not Mark.

I'm sorry.
The Talented Mr. Evan chapter 5 . 9/27/2007
This was really helpful. According to me, this should be mandatory reading for all new Fictionpress writers. I'm so tired of seeing pointless summaries, pen names that all look alike and so many other annoying things you mentioned.

But what I've come to understand about long bios is that, for most people, it's a page on the World Wide Web consecrated only to them. I find it useless, but for the attention-needy it's awesome.

I didn't learn much reading this though. I didn't write that to sound conceited, but it sure is nice to know I'm not to only one who thinks perfect characters will be hated instead of loved. Flawed characters will always be the deepest (if well written).

I'll go look at Clodhopper now. You got me interested. By the way, you started by saying your name was Mark and finished by saying your name is Mackenzie. But maybe I'm just stupid.

Yeah, looking back, this wasn't very constructive...
BeautifulAssassin chapter 5 . 9/11/2007
Thank you for this! The advice was great - I like the bit on develpment and I've never understood why people flame. I mean, what's the point?
119 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 7 .. Last Next »