Reviews for Rasta Guy
Naomi Schemer chapter 23 . 7/2/2008
Aw...so cute. These two are probably my favorite couple, and it's nice to see them again. I was surprised when I saw you updated this, but I'm happy. So is the wait going to be as long for the next update?
lilmissempty chapter 23 . 7/1/2008
I'm so glad you're still writing this story. I check my alerts every week hoping to see another chapter. :)
bambi chapter 23 . 7/1/2008
Was this the last chapter? I almost forgot Reggie had dreds until you mentioned them this
christiana chapter 2 . 7/1/2008
christilovely AT hotmail DOT com
christiana chapter 1 . 7/1/2008
btw, here's my e-mail if you want to respond.
christiana chapter 23 . 7/1/2008
Wow... For the most part I do like this story, especially some of the characters, but I have to admit that I really dislike the way most of the characters behave and feel toward people of varying racial backgrounds. As a multiracial person of African American, European Jew and Native American background I find it discouraging that, save for the one comment about being half Samoan in the beginning, for the entirety of the story Reggie is refers to and self identifies as ONLY "black".

I understand and support the idea of exposing racism and debunking racial myths, but that is NOT what you have done here, even if that is what was intended.

I mean... where do these people live? Why in the world would you address somebody as "Black Guy"? Is that the characteristic that overrides all others? If his hair is so distinctive (which, by the way, is ridiculous... why is it so unusual that a 'black' guy has his hair in any style other than braids?), then why is he not addressed that way? Same thing in regards to his personal style. What, is it a cold day in hell when you see a black person dressed in clothes that are not (what you perceive to be) standard urban black wear?

Why is it that, at age 9, Lee's brother has to ask Reggie if he is black? Have his parents failed to educate him on the diversity of the human race? That is understandable at a younger age, but 9? Really.

You may have been trying to show, with the character Reggie, that race is no indicator of behavior. However, you've actually done a good job of perpetuating harmful racial stereotypes. What was with the scene with Reggie joking with Lee by speaking with what you think is some kind of 'urban blackcent'? If it was an attempt to show that hey, not all black people talk this way, well that was a failure. This is because is holds the suggestion that most black do speak that way.

Finally, it seems as though even Reggie himself has internalized these notions- which is not an uncommon occurence in minorities, but is harmful nonetheless. When he is people-watching and observes the rowdy group of young men, he feels it necessary to point out the way they are pronouncing words ("m*thUH f*ckUH", "she-it") and behaving rudely and offensively. And lo and behold, they're ALL black. And this is an INTERNAL dialogue!

I don't know your life experiences, but my suggestion is to take some sociology courses, get a beta who has some education in sociology, and do a hardcore edit. I strongly believe that this story can move from harmful to helpful with a LOT of work.
nonaccount chapter 23 . 6/30/2008
So happy! For both the update and the sweetness in it! Lee telling Reggie, "'I'd brave snow over my head to be here with you.'" Aw, Lee's getting more and more comfortable and open with Reggie it's nice to see.

This had me smiling, actually that's a lie 'cause I was so happy you updated that I smiled the whole time reading it, so I guess this made me smile even *more*. "Stretching, I purposely pressed against him and loved how he wrapped more of his body over mine, as if he needed my touch as much as I was giving it."

Really sweet first time for them, but of course Xander had to make it even more memorable. :)

I assume we're gonna find out why Lee doesn't want to be called "Babe". Is it because of Babe the pig?
Mya chapter 23 . 6/30/2008
I like the last part of the chapter . *gle* I'm just happy you finally updated! I
Amindaya chapter 23 . 6/30/2008
That was crazy awesome, awkwardness and ensuing mortification included. THANKYOU for updating this. :)

Snow days are win. :) During the winter, I watch the TV every single morning there's snow on the ground. Because I live in Ohio, right by Lake Erie. Yeah.

Poor Sumi.
Duuude chapter 16 . 5/1/2008
Wow. Is it really that rare to see black people around? Hm. But it's cool how you didn't make everyone out to be not racist or narrow-minded. You can't judge the author on how characters act... that'd be really dumb. Like when his sister was all rude-ish cause her old boyfriend was a bad guy who was black.

Omg... people do that to me too... expect me to know every person that's from where I'm from... like if they find out where I'm from they'll be like

' do you know where so-and-so is or do you know them? '

and I'll be like.. um, no.

xD It's pretty.. yeah. It's weird.

anyway, woo. me love reggie. lee too.
Duuude chapter 22 . 5/1/2008
OMGSH. This was so good. I love how real you make it. And he's actually a black guy, that's pretty rare. Haha. A black main character, that is. XD ( I'm black btw. From the continent of Africa 0 )

And anyway. . . It's so real. They're not perfect at all. It's like Lee's chubby and all but so hot at the same time. Mhm. And and Reggie's not either. I love how he had a zit and everything and you actually talked about. So awkward but still. Lovely. It's awesome.

In slash stories the guys are usually all built and sexy... which is good for my imagination (haha P ) but it's not real. Not everyone's hot and beautiful or whatever at least not on the outside. It all depends on how someone may see you... you may look regular and ordinary to everyone else but someone else may see you HOT and SEXY and whatnot. XD

What I mean is that it's cool, you have a good grip on reality. Good thing they're not skinny emo guys making out either, that's another slash stereotype too. Haha. That's still hot though. XD

Anyway. Thanks for writing this. I can't wait til you update, or are you not?

And I'll check out Ordinary People too. Surprisingly I haven't heard of it, hm...

See this soon. ]
Cinera chapter 9 . 4/15/2008
Ha, I loved the part with the books. Did I already say I love this story?
Cinera chapter 5 . 4/15/2008
Orson Scott Card is another of my favorite authors. It's really awesome to read a story when you can relate to the characters so well. I'm left handed also.
Cinera chapter 4 . 4/15/2008
Dean Koontz is one of my favorite authors. Well he used to be. Reggie is a real badass, and I love this story.
Invalid chapter 22 . 4/14/2008