Reviews for diana
hoowdoideletethisaccount chapter 12 . 12/6/2005
Ah, yes, and your next piece, about seasons and time and journeys. This is an interesting point to close on.

Wow... just an incredible little story. Honestly, of everything I've ever read on FictionPress, this is among the handfull of things I finished, and sat back, and thought, "I LOVED that, all the way through; I really, really did". You're a very gifted writer. Rock on!;)
hoowdoideletethisaccount chapter 11 . 12/6/2005
Don't feel like that, Diana... it's not deprivation to wait for someone who will commit to you.

(Time for 'Silent Night' to enter again... hehe, I know, I'm sorry, I just really liked that guy! *Sniff* )
hoowdoideletethisaccount chapter 10 . 12/6/2005
"She knows she’s too old to have done nothing with a life." Again, a very insightful chapter. It's interesting-that whole question, about rules, etc- I believe if a parent loves their child, they WILL make rules, and "enforce" them, lovingly. If a parent lets their child do anything, they're not protecting them (they don't care enough about them). But there are definitely people out there who abuse what they've been given. Children should be allowed to grow- to be individuals, to blossom under the encouragement and sincere love of those closest to them. This is a sad chapter. A sad thought.
hoowdoideletethisaccount chapter 9 . 12/6/2005
Oh man. Sad, sad, sad. "No one will love me. I'm not pretty enough. I'm not thin enough." Wow... what an ugly lie; and yet, so many of us buy into it, don't we.
hoowdoideletethisaccount chapter 8 . 12/6/2005
I think this is my favourite chapter. It's just the whole sentiment behind it... the quietness, the calm, the gentle song, the dark, the wanting-so-much-to-trust. The last two paragraphs, and the final line. That is beautiful writing, Lily. Absolutely gorgeous. I love this guy, whoever he is. I felt genuinely sad, when he never reappeared in the story. I wanted him to stay.

And somehow, it just adds to it, this time, that we don't know his name- almost like he's too special for that, too special to be summarized in some common-place label like "Brian" or "Sam".
hoowdoideletethisaccount chapter 7 . 12/6/2005
Yeah. Been there.
hoowdoideletethisaccount chapter 6 . 12/6/2005
I remember that this chapter touched me especially. As I mentioned, I do work with the elderly, so this hits me in a very personal way.

"She looks back down at her feet, suddenly uncomfortable. She never remembered feeling like that when she was younger." Strange, eh. How when we're little, wrinkles and peeling paint and having to yell because someone can't hear, isn't embarressing or odd to us. I wish we could stay that way. Like kids- so accepting.

"Her mother pulls open a gate, and the dilapidated mutt that Diana’s grandfather owns comes bounding out from behind a screen door, attempting to bark and failing, only making soft, high-pitched squealing noises." I love your descriptors. Delapidated. High-pitched squealing noises. Poor dog :

"Diana’s grandmother - whose name is Lucy - comes shuffling into the kitchen in a stained nightgown. She has on long, thick socks and a pair of slippers. She smiles vaguely at Diana and sits down." Aww.

"As her mother walks out, she walks over and kisses Lucy on the cheek and hugs her lightly. As she pulls away, Lucy gives a soft, teary smile and says shakily, 'I love you.'" Eek. This is hitting me a little too close. I want to cry, reading that. I can't even begin to tell you how many times I've seen this kind of scene... and how many people with sagging skin and soft brown spots, I love. You wrote this so feelingly.

This was a special chapter. You write about things that are important; things people SHOULD think about. I so appreciate that.
hoowdoideletethisaccount chapter 5 . 12/6/2005
"Diana never understood why they were called 'love handles.' No one had ever loved her handles." Diana just becomes more and more real to me. Wow. I'm glad you chose to write about this. People who have never struggled with their weight have a hard time understanding what a crippling thing it can be, to have a body entirely different from what our culture declares it should be, and to hate yourself for it. It destroys a person's self-image and confidence. And yet- does a different shape devalue a person whatsoever? No.

"After eating a Twix, she swore to herself that she would go on a diet the next day." So insightful. So simple, so true. You're an excellent author. I have no idea why you have so few reviews, but I'm going to recommend this story to a few other people, and hopefully they'll come over and give it a read. This deserves to be read!
hoowdoideletethisaccount chapter 4 . 12/6/2005
"She’s only a member of the ensemble, and despite the odd fact that she was convinced during auditions that she could have handled a lead, she doesn’t care that she’s only a face in the crowd." Yeah, this sounds like Diana. I can't imagine her wanting to be the one the spotlight's on.

"She feels comfortable having a conversation with him because his eyes don’t roam to the rest of her body. His eyes stay planted on hers, and she can pretend that he’s not seeing the body she despises so much, but simply the green-tinted amber behind her lashes. That’s the one thing she loves about herself: her eyes." I think most girls can totally relate to this sentiment. I'm sorry- I don't like guys who make me feel dirty, just by the way they're looking at me. It can be so disrespectful, like all a woman is, is her body. (I'm not saying all guys do that. But some do.) When someone LOOKS at you when they're talking to you, it makes you feel like they're actually listening. Like they actually recognize the fact that you are a brain, a mind, a soul, a heart, a valuable person who has something important to say.

"She clumsily knocks her forearm into his jaw in the process, and she hears him giggle." ..."She can't get the smile off of her face." That is adorable. :)

I find it a little odd that we know Justin's name, but we don't know this guy's. I like this guy a lot more. Poor Diana, though... when he goes away. No wonder she guards her heart so closely. Getting broken HURTS.

Awesome chapter. They all are. I'm so enjoying this!
hoowdoideletethisaccount chapter 3 . 12/6/2005
The hoody analogy was so true. Sometimes we'll wear something until it's so threadbare it falls off; just because it's familiar, and so, somehow, comforting. So true.

"She eats to fill herself physically, distracting herself from her emotional voids. A magic trick. Something simple to make something complicated temporarily disappear." Wow- I'm an emotional eater. I know exactly what she's saying, there. Whoah. You just capture this; it's amazing. This piece is so incredibly insightful! Forgive me, I'm going to rave for a minute-I just love the honesty and nostalgia and truthfulness you managed to instill in this story. You did a beautiful job. And I want to give Diana a hug.

"She has trouble asking for help, even though no one else seems to. When she does ask for help, it’s from the wrong people." Yeah, that's the saddest thing, isn't it; that when someone finally gets up the courage to say they need someone else, they say it to the wrong person.

"Diana has trouble telling the difference between reality and her imagination." You say that so simply. But it doesn't need explanation; it makes sense, just like that. It's perfect.
hoowdoideletethisaccount chapter 2 . 12/6/2005
I liked that first word. "Morning." A new beginning. It kinda seperates this chapter from the last one; lets us know we're going to be experiencing something different.

"The fake leather of the wheel groans as he turns it. He had always hated that." LOL.. Justin, man, I've been there!

The description of Justin was excellent. You have an eye for the things that make a character jump out at the reader. After reading the intro to Justin, he feels like a person, but someone I'm a little doubtful of; like I'm unsure of his intentions.

"I Heart Matt." lolol Diana's sentiment, here, about words, is just beautiful. I love it. I love this girl more and more.

My sister read "Girl, Interupted", but I never got around to it. I should, though. Her thought about the book was so realistic- I often think of literature, and relate it to real life. And Justin, stop picking your scab, that's gross... heheh.

"One of 'those people?' How could he so easily categorize her like that? So vague, so insignificant?" Ay. : What a closeminded thing for him to say. What, if you were "important" you would be athletic and into bar parties? I hate it when people impose their own preferences on others.

Ah, the swings again ;) There is something incredibly, decidedly peaceful about them, isn't there? Somehow, it makes me happy that Diana values them too.

"a shadow has cast itself on the fragile pages, pale and white and open and vulnerable in her lap." Wow, what an immaculate desription! That's exactly how I feel about my writing. Pale and white and open and vulnerable. It hurts so much when people criticize that. Justin... he has no idea how much that hurt her, does he. (I wish people wouldn't get so wrapped up in themselves!)

Excellent chapter, Lily.
hoowdoideletethisaccount chapter 1 . 12/6/2005
I read this last night, but it was more of a skimming because I didn't have alot of time... but by the time I had read the first chapter, I already knew I loved this. I'd like to go through and review it, chapter by chapter. You really have something here, you know- this piece is amazing. The character is so real, I feel like she's going to turn around and look at me, any second. That's amazing. I really admire your ability to bring her to life!

This first chapter is one long string of insights into someone's heart. Every single one is moving and amazing. I like this girl. I like her very, very much. I love it that she values writing, and rebirth, and quiet, and falling snow. And the way she hides herself- she reminds me so much of someone I love. You captured the little pieces of someone that make a whole, an individual. It's like one of those surveys that goes around on the internet- only much, much more meaningful. Beautiful opening.
Davvn chapter 12 . 8/26/2005
*chuckles quickly* Whoever told her... you... well, they have a point. Keep writing. I really, really, REALLY really like this. Please. Keep going. :)
Davvn chapter 11 . 8/26/2005
so...? I wouldn't be embarassed about that. I wouldn't. I agree with her about her friends talking about making out, though. I find that just... erghh.
Davvn chapter 10 . 8/26/2005
hm... maybe. Maybe. I doubt it though. Parents being physcotic. I think the same about mine.