Reviews for Little Memories
aurora llyria chapter 1 . 11/20/2006
Wow.

To some people this might not mean much or be very impressive - I think everyone has some particular type of writing or feeling that touches them most, and it's different for different people. But for me, this is the kind of thing that means very much to me, because my life and experiences have included feelings similar to yours, I think, although I am fortunate enough that no one I love like this has ever died. Like the first reviewer, I must say that this brings tears to my eyes every time I read it (which is now rather a lot of times), and I never even knew your grandmother. So this piece is quite an accomplishment, to move me like that, although you probably don't think of it quite like that. At least, if I had written something like this about someone I love, I wouldn't think of it as an accomplishment exactly, I'd be more glad that I had managed to express my feelings about that person so well. I like the mixture of things you remember here, both vitally important (her always having time for you, for example) and little personal details that bring her to life (so to speak - I hope you don't mind my using that phrase) like the kind of candy she gave you and how she drank Coke, and how the little details ARE vitally important, because they are the things that define the person. Like if you had just said, "My grandmother always had time for me," then a lot of people could say something like that for someone, and it would just be a general statement that probably no one else would be interested in. But the little nuances of her personality and habits make it interesting and meaningful to others who never knew her, because now I sort of feel like I know her a little.

And I also find it so true, how you say it, "I remember how much I loved her and how much she loved me and it hurts so bad my heart clenches painfully in my chest and I can scarcely breathe. I remember what it was like having her with me, and then I remember what it was like losing her. And I realize that no matter what, as long as I keep these memories with me, even the little insignificant things, she will live forever. So no matter how much it hurts, sometimes I have to sit up late at night and remember my loving Nannie, just to feel her close to me again," especially the last sentence, because I have done that too, and I understand how remembering is both necessary and painful, but as I see it, that's the whole point. The grief is the joy and the joy is the grief, because if you didn't love your grandmother so much then you wouldn't grieve her loss, and if it didn't hurt so much to lose her then obviously that would mean you didn't really care about her, because you don't miss what you don't care about. So it's all right, in my opinion, to cry sometimes when you think of her, because it shows your love for her; but also sometimes to smile and laugh at your good memories, painful as they are. Because love means both grief and joy, and sometimes it's not an either/or thing, sometimes it's even hard to tell which is which, or it can be for me anyway.

And also I like the last sentence because I think it has a nice rhythm, which is a little hard to explain, but I like it.

And by the way, I saw in your profile thingy you said you tend to return reviews, which is very nice of you, but I don't want you to feel obligated to return this one, because my page is distinctly lacking in updates and my recent-er or better stuff, and I keep meaning to get around to doing more eventually. But I would welcome a reply, if you wish. Not demanding anything, but if you want to I'd be perfectly fine with that. Or you can also reach me through the "send message" link in my profile. Again just if you feel like it. Yeah. So anyway, I love this piece. And I have kidnapped it to my Word (well, actually OpenOffice) document of collection of quotes that remind me of someone I love and miss. It's a wonderful addition; it's so good at making me cry. So thank you for sharing this.
Elizabeth Williams chapter 1 . 9/22/2005
(Daughter of Nannie-aunt to Amanda)Amanda, You nailed it sweetie! Everything you daid about her was her to the bone. I could picture HER PERFECTLY as you described her and hear her even say those things as I had heard them so many times before. You brought tears to my eyes. (Thanks for the memories.) She will always be with us amanada. She ADORED you and would be so HONORED to know you have written about her in so many of your poems. Just remember she "wouldn't want to make you cry!" Think of her and smile. That is what she would want. It does hurt -but we will be with her again someday. We do have these cherished memories! Beautiful!