Reviews for Martial Arts For Complete And Utter Morons
Buddhist Warrior chapter 1 . 11/17/2012
Sounds like an interesting I was younger,my old man and I got in a few fights(not violent and serious ones,more like sparring.)and I learned a few things about fighting,although nothing that would likely aid me in a street fight.
Anyway,interesting article.I'll favorite it to remember it.
KRS chapter 5 . 8/31/2007
Can you do a chapter on Krav Maga? It's an Israeli commando style used with lethal force.
pen112 chapter 5 . 2/24/2006
Don't know if this has already been mentioned, but perhaps you could do something on KFM? The Keysi Fighting Method is something that you sound like you'd be interested in. It's a developing art, at most ten, twenty years old. On the surface, it's simply a merging of many different styles, look deeper, and it's actually a dangerously efficient fighting method centered around brawling. It's characterized by the rather odd Thinking Man fighting stance that gives the fighter more torque to his blows and better defence you want to see this style in action, the movie Batman Begins employs a rather stylized version of KFM. If you have the DVD, watch "Shaping Mind and Body" and they explain the fighting style and how they modified it so it would look better on , the column is good and offers some very realistic advise. Keep it up, I hope you update sometime. Cheers.
Kelaia chapter 5 . 1/25/2006
Hey, I'm really finding your martial arts stuff useful, mainly because I find it really difficult to write an original fight scene. It can get cliched so quickly. Everything seems to have been done before, whether in a book or a film. I do judo myself, so when I tried to create a new martial art for one of my stories it was really difficult. All the techniques seemed to be judo-related or, because i felt i had to add in some moves from other origins, completely out of place in the fight. I also find it hard to describe fights in an interesting way: 'he did this punch and she blocked it like that...' hardly describes the raw beauty of a perfectly executed technique. (I recently came to the conclusion that unless you do a martial art you can't understand this strange phenomenon anyway, but that's beside the point). Anyway, i find your writing on this subject very helpful, so thanks! If you do happen to find yourself scrolling through one of my stories, the best fight scenes haven't been posted yet. There's a few in AQoS, but they're not that good since i wrote them a while ago. Do you mind if I pick your brains about weaponry in the near future? -Kel
Scraper chapter 4 . 11/17/2005
Oh yes, I forget to mention a small detail: Lapu-Lapu, a famous Datu (a type of king) from Mactan who was famous for killing Ferdinand Magellan (or according to other sources a tribesman of his) making him a hero also practiced an early form of Arnis. Escrima was Arnis' name when the spaniards conquered the Philippines.
Arkash chapter 5 . 11/16/2005
Very interesting. I liked the ritual section.

*_*
Arkash chapter 4 . 11/16/2005
An interesting style, not very defined, but perhaps that it's so useful in stories.

Thanks, Jave Harron and Scraper. *_*
Arkash chapter 3 . 11/16/2005
This is very educational-I enjoyed reading it.

However, this would not be the right one for my Samurai in Displaced.

Thanks for sharing this with us.

Alnitak *_*
Arkash chapter 2 . 11/8/2005
Yeah, this one's great.

I use a lot of unarmed combat for my main characters, so I'll be sure to read more of this.

Alnitak *_*
Arkash chapter 1 . 11/8/2005
Great resource for fight scenes. I especially like, "look at the eyes of the opponent".

Good job, as always. *_*
Scraper chapter 5 . 11/2/2005
Thanks for putting up the Arnis chapter! But I feel a little embarassed that the Muay Thai chapter was written in a very detailed and professional manner while I have these goofy comments around... Oh well good work!
Shugojin chapter 1 . 11/2/2005
Although intereseting, I feel that this is lacking in detail, as martial arts is such a broad topic. There are books and books on the basics of martail arts for morons and you only wrote a few pages.

Good work, but only really covers a couple of points.
AikiChaos chapter 3 . 11/1/2005
Yeah, I learned aikido for a year too and also think that it lacks counters to kicks. However, I disagree with you and think that it lacks counters to UPPER STRIKES. Lol, guess that there are different styles taught in different schools. Your guide have been very informative so far.
nextofkin chapter 3 . 10/29/2005
I like this. Personally, I do karate, but other schools interest me too.

You're right. Seiza is uncomfortable. That whole bending back the feet thing hurts!

One pet peeve of mine: people thinking that either you're a black belt or that you don't know martial arts at all.

For example if you say, "Don't mess, I'm a purple belt." (Purple belt is 3/4 to black belt at my school). Nobody could care less. C'mon other colored belts deserve some respect.

But anyway, this is really cool. I'm definitely going to keep an eye on this. Keep informing the masses!
Alankria chapter 3 . 10/29/2005
Very, very interesting. I know nothing about martial arts, so this was very enlightening. aikido sounds great- I think one of my characters will use the basic ideas, as she is five feet tall and very slim, so she cannot hope to match muscle with almost all normal people, but she still needs to win the fight. I look forward to learning more.