Reviews for Some Basic Rules of Writing
Squibble the Pig chapter 1 . 9/29/2013
First off, with every publisher there is an editor to correct the writer's errors. You seem to be stuck with the idea that writers only need publishers, well, I'm sorry to say, but editors exist too. Editors help writers correct their mistakes because the writers are too busy writing their novels to care if they did make mistakes.

Also, you seem to forget that you too had made many grammatical errors in your essay to tell people not to make grammatical mistakes. No one likes a hypocrite. Besides, and I quote, "read out loud! If what you just wrote sounds funny, awkward or incomplete then re work it. Or try printing it out. It's easier on the eyes to stare at a piece of paper rather than a monitor."

I can see-since you're clearly the master of all writing-you felt the need to not follow your own advice. Smooth.

Plus, less is not more. Sometimes writers go into more detail about a bedroom because they're professionals and the description is literary work that can be examined for smarter, educated readers, unlike yourself, to analyze what it represents in the story as a whole.

Maybe the main character was a rich man yet had a simple bed made out of wood, as was his house, representing that he was not indulging in his riches, but saving them for later. If you want to be a great writer, you have to be good at English first. Not everything is straight forward and to the point. You have to read between the lines and think a little.

The writer for Eragon is a great writer not just because his dad was a publisher but because people actually bought the book.

Furthermore, do you need a thesaurus to write? Are you not so superior to all other writers in this site that you can pull words that are more complex out of your head? Well, you clearly did not in this essay, which is not even an essay. It is more derogatory than helpful. Oh, and I didn't need a thesaurus for that.

Oh, and if you want to criticize other writers for their work, make sure your own work is perfect first.

Look forward to reading your novel that you clearly have perfectly written already without the use of an editor.

Sincerely,
Your biggest fan
FLAMER!
Fira Dawnce chapter 1 . 3/24/2011
This is pretty informational, but you write it with a bit of a smart-alecky/exasperated tone. Sometimes that is necessary and there are many people who can read it that way, but there are some people who will get mad at it.
Neal Coldwood chapter 1 . 7/21/2010
All in all, a very handy guide. I couldn't agree with you more on Rule 3. Quite frankly, I grow very tired of seeing 'Well, you see Bill,' pass as description. However, there are some points I disagree with.

First off, Rule 2. While grammar is a must have for narration, over zealous grammar in dialog makes it unbelievable. Dialog is spoken, and therefore accents and slang must be mixed in to make the conversation realistic. For example, I'd be prone to say "Me and you" or "You and me" rather than "You and I" in a conversation. Many people out there do also. Chances are, if the character is not an English major or professional speaker, having every sentence he speaks look like an essay is going to make him or her seem out of character, and therefore unbelievable.

In addition, in order to get the tone and pace of the words spoken, the rules of grammar often need to be broken. For example, if a character is rambling or droning on, chances are they use run-on sentences. Or, if a character is cut off mid sentence, it probably wouldn't end with a period. In short, for narration, use the best grammar you can muster. For believable dialog, it's ok (and some times necessary) to break the rules.

The second point I would like to argue is Rule 6. While the Thesaurus is a good tool, the way you recommend using it is encouraging its overuse. 'Thesaurus Rape' is almost as irritating as repetition. The Thesaurus may give you alternatives for words, but the results often give you words with subtle differences that can completely kill the the point that you are trying to make.

I'll use your example for 'dark'. If I want to describe the lighting conditions of a room with no lighting, dark is pretty much the best word to get the point across. Dim indicates poor, but existing lighting. Shady gives the impression a few shadows in a well lit area, like under a tree at noon. Murky I'd probably use for dirty swamp water rather than a room. The point I'm trying to get across is that Dim, Shady, Murky, Mysterious, Evil, Night and Dusk do not mean Dark. In other words, the Thesaurus is only a wonderful tool if used in conjunction with a dictionary.
eiyuang999 chapter 1 . 5/23/2010

welcome to our website is :
Dead Anonymous chapter 1 . 1/21/2009
Interesting and helpful to those who need the tips. That's all I have to say.
Hime06 chapter 1 . 1/8/2009
Nice tips but please present it in a modest manner.:)

Love,

Hime:)
RuathaWehrling chapter 1 . 5/8/2007
I do not necessarily disagree with anything you're saying here, but you've managed to say it in a very offensive manner. I just think you should be aware of that. Perhaps Rule #8 should be:

Try not to insult or offend your readers, because they won't keep reading for long.

I would strongly advise rephrasing this if you really want it to impact the writers who need it. After all, the writers who regularly break these rules are often young and usually not very confident in their writing ability. Yelling at them won't help, but TEACHING them might.
chaos-abounds chapter 1 . 12/4/2006
Rule #3

thank you. very much. not only do you see this in fiction, but it exists terribly in essays as well. i cannot even state how many times i have read "the purpose of this essay is..." if you cannot make that apparent by just writing the essay, you have no right (haha...get it? write...right. its funny) to put pen to paper. make me understand your purpose by actually reading the essay. if flat out tell me what your purpose is, i have absolutely no reason to actually read the piece.
Sally-andersonn chapter 1 . 12/15/2005
This was very interesting. This is a little patronising. It points out the obvious things that we all (or not) know. THough it is thought out. It shows you put effort into it. The last comment was mean though. Ah well, someone needs to burst the bubble.
ValkyrieRavenfeather chapter 1 . 10/23/2005
I loved it. Don't pay any attention to SilentBlueRose; she's a bitch. She made insults that don't even make SENSE on my essay on Hurricane Katrina. Anyway...I love how you point out all the things I complain about when I read. You were sarcastic in one or two parts; I liked that. It was well-written, and SilentBlueRose only wishes she'd thought of writing one like it before you did.
Formerly chapter 1 . 10/16/2005
"particularly those whom want to be an author"

Whom alert.

"virtually non existence of commas"

That's pretty much all wrong.

"Rule #3 -”Show, Don’t Tell”-"

Except when you want to tell instead of show. I like to clear up the instances where telling is better than showing. It depends on the context. And your "better paragraph"? It's not better. In other words...

"Doesn’t that sound more interesting? More complete? Smoother?"

"Rule #7 -Clichés-"

Another thing. Cliché is fine, AS LONG AS it's well done. For example, look at David Eddings' Belgariad. It's an incredibly cliché fantasy series, hell, he even rips himself off. But it's fun to read, which is really all you need if you don't have talent, like 99 percent of the world.
Sophie Ulquiorra Allen chapter 1 . 10/16/2005
Thank you. Somebody had to do that sooner or later. I wind up being many people's editor, which is utterly appalling when every sentence has at least six errors. It pains me to see the English language abused so menancingly. That statement of your about Eragon mirrored mine, by the way.

P.S. Now I'm even spell-checking my reviews.
Ghost in the Machine chapter 1 . 10/16/2005
I said pretty much the same things myself a few years back, even with a similar tone. The problem is the folks who need this sort of advice tend to be the ones who are least likely to heed it. Still, it does need repeated every once in a while because there are always newcomers who haven't read this sort of essay before.
The Malefactor chapter 1 . 10/16/2005
I sense some bitterment towards the book Eragon. You bought the book and read it. The publisher got your money. Pusblishers are in the business of selling books and repeating the same plot over and over sells. Just look at all the re-makes that Hollywood shits out. Can you name one story that wasn't based in part from another story. No, you can't. You're (Your) esay sah neeb enod erofeb. Did you like the orginality in that? Your essay is cliched, but the grammer was good I guess. Signing off the Malefactor.
SilentBlueRose chapter 1 . 10/15/2005
You lost any credibility you could've had with the lower case 'i' in the summery.

Oh yes, and it seems like everyone and their dog has published an essay on how to write better. Way to be original.

Have a nice day.