Reviews for Letter to a Bookstore
girliexox chapter 1 . 6/23/2008
Okay. First of all, I'm Wiccan, and I understand that you feel oppressed. BUT... do you really think that moving the witchcraft material at a bookstore will help any? Your efforts to support Wicca as a religion are valiant and courageous; and, granted, making small changes does help the situation, I doubt that the reception would be one of understanding if the Wicca books were moved. People in general are small minded, and many are just going to stay that way, regardless of your efforts. Besides, could you imagine it? : grooving the bookshelves in the religion section, picking up a Wicca book, and having the person browsing next to you give you a weird look (or worse). All integration has problems; I think yours is that you aren't addressing the right people. Like Rev. Sorcha Hades said, books are placed according to where the publisher says it should be. I would suggest either writing to the publishers or writing articles to be published in a local newspaper to warm others to the idea of moving the section if you still feel that this is the solution.

On a better note, it was really inspiring. Made me feel all warm and bubbly inside. ;D
tuieri chapter 1 . 12/1/2006
we wrote something similar to our library once and they refused our request. as a small form of protest a friend who works at this library moved all copies of the Bible, Koran, etc to the fiction section for one week, then quietly moved them back. sadly books on Wicca are still scattered throughout YA and even the fantasy section. it is a pity, truly. i think i might just try again though...
kelsi bones chapter 1 . 5/2/2006
This letter was beautifully written. Did they ever move the books?

Katrina
Zagone chapter 1 . 11/21/2005
Hi Seawitch - A good letter really. What I'm told is happening is the Christian Right is showing stores the amount of money they have to spend - if the stores will remove our materials. I don't think the stories have put our materials in New Age section because they think we are not "real" - they have put us there because we are losing the money war. It's a very purposeful decision. Actually - it gets worse. My local Borders has us in the "Occult" section - discretely around the corner out of view from the centrally displayed "Religion" section.

- Zagone
Rev. Sorcha Hades chapter 1 . 11/21/2005
While I understand your goal, your "blame" falls to the wrong people.

When a bookstore orders a book, it is placed on the shelf based on what the PUBLISHER states where it belongs. Look at the spine and back of many books, or inside the front cover at the LOC information. It's put in the section that the publisher claims the book belongs in.

So, the error starts with the publishing companies. You letter writing campaign needs to start there - not the book seller.

Another idea is to get the authors to demand that the books be listed as religious in nature, instead of New Age. That also may help.

I just wanted to pass on some information for you, so that you do not get discouraged. Please feel free to contact me if you would like.
amegakorobu chapter 1 . 11/13/2005
I'd like to know how that turns out and if anything gets changed.
Greenwitch chapter 1 . 11/3/2005
Yay, very good! *applause* The one thing I don't get is why you say "particularly around the time of Halloween" in the first paragraph. It kind of comes out of nowhere. Other than that it was awesome though. Love you!
WhinyPoetryFromGenerationY chapter 1 . 11/3/2005
Well done for sticking up for Wicca! Good luck with coming out of the broom closet with your parents.

I doubt the "neutral friend" wouldn't have ever heard of Wicca/Neopaganism though, with shows like Charmed out most people at least have an idea what we belive, and nobody I've ever met has ever thought it was anything to do with Satan (fundies not included).

Good essay, and well done again for defending Paganism. Pagan pride!
Formerly chapter 1 . 11/2/2005
"Granted, this is probably an over-simplification of my parents’ thoughts,"

Ya think?
mothling chapter 1 . 11/2/2005
Very well written and planned out! You managed to avoid sounding biased and sound professional...great job. :)
Impressed chapter 1 . 11/2/2005
wow im impressed. This essay is well done you evidently did you research. hope you get what you want
L. Cybert chapter 1 . 11/2/2005
Well, you definitely have done your research. This letter was well thought out. You stated your complaint/suggestion, and you backed it up with facts and information. Your beginning illustration of a neutral individual was very good, and helped the reader (on FP) to further understand your motive. However, whoever reads your letter, will get the same point without the former illustration. All-in-all, this was very well done, and I hope your request is set up to your standards.