Reviews for The Parquet
VEH chapter 15 . 2/28/2006
One of the best, I think. It's the first I've read in a while where the main female isn't some too-thin, "amazing hidden beauty" kind of thing.
Awed chapter 15 . 2/27/2006
I loved this story. No, love isn't too strong of an adjective to describe how I felt while reading this. I can't believe how few reviews it's gotten compaired to some of the fluffy shit on this site. The writing was dark and beautiful. The characters were smart and real.

I almost didn't review, I didn't know what to write. How could I convey how profound of a love story this was? So I clicked out of the story and looked at a few others. I came back to this one, because after reading this, how could I possibly want to read some other story?

It was that good. Thank you SO much for writing this.
ConfigurationSpace chapter 15 . 2/27/2006
AH! I hate to sound all sappy and romantic but DAMN that was everything a story ending should be. And I mean EVERYTHING. I seroiusly am in love with this story, and will probably continue to re-read it as time goes by just because I love it so much. It accomplishes what other stories, in 40 chapters try to beat the bush at but never quite get and I love that it didn't have to be extremely drawn out for you to get to that point. I loved it so much, and will support all your other works if they are as good as this one was. :)
LadyWriter chapter 15 . 2/27/2006
Awe... I'm gonna miss this story. :-( It was good! I enjoyed every minute of it and think you did a really great job. I like how you wrote the ending. :-) Awesome job!
Hester Inkmaid chapter 14 . 2/16/2006
1. There's a silly typo around chapter 5 where you replaced Grace's name with Jane. Trivial, but maybe that's why it's so bothersome. :)

2. I wish you hadn't explicitely stated that this story was based on Pride and Prejudice. You're such a skilled writer; it would have been much more fun to find out on ones own, especially since the book itself makes a cameo appearance (major hint). Also, there is more to Pride and Prejudice than the "banal" plot. Your story seems to have a similar storyline, but it is completely different. The prose (in your story), first of all, is far more lyrical. And there is more of a focus on Grace's inner musings and her thoughts on her situation as opposed to the social commentary in Pride and Prejudice. And I definitely agree that this shouldn't be posted on . Grace's story loosely parallels the story in Pride and Prejudice, But you've expanded on it too much for this to be called fanfiction.

Also, it bothers me that Maxim has so far managed to insult and humiliate Grace totally and horribly, and she was never able to "get back". She was always the crushed, awkward one. I know it was your intent (since you're the God behind it all; you obviously control the amount of "wit" each character exudes in conversation) but why oh why? I like Grace, but other than "niceness", there isn't anything to set her apart, to make her "special". Sorry about the crudeness of my language btw. I don't understand exactly what it is that makes Maxim love her so. They haven't had that many meaningful conversations as far as I can see, and though Grace does her fair share of philosophical musing), we can't argue that Maxim fell in love with her profound views on life... when did she ever get to share them?

One more thing: why was Grace "angry" at John? ("Bread") It IS late at night, and I might have missed something, but SHE was the one that imagined his crush, non? Maybe I should reread it (I probably will, anyway).

Okay, I was lying about the one more thing part-I'm confused about the setting. I mean it started out from a high school setting and moved to college. But what was the whole deal with dance class? Why was Grace attending? At first I was confused and thought that she went to an arts school or something...

Anyway, I hope I didn't sound too critical because that honestly wasn't my intent. I just had a lot of questions. :)

On the whole I really like your story. My favorite was the first chapter though-your description of the Prima Donna hit the nail on the head. I also liked1. The relationship between Grace and Janie2. The "friendship" between Grace and Caroline... yes, it is a real friendship, but Caroline still isn't unrealistically loyal. 3. The dialogue between Grace and Maxim. Even though Grace always came out "losing" and fumbling for an answer, I liked Maxim's comebacks.
Hester Inkmaid chapter 1 . 2/14/2006
I found my way on here from LadyWriter's favorites page.

Brilliant first chapter. I will leave a longer, more coherent review later, but I had to say that the beginning was perfect. Nothing lacking. Characters, conversations...

What influenced your writing? (books, films, songs...)
thecatsmeow chapter 14 . 2/12/2006
wow I totally did not expect this! it makes you want to go back and re-read the story from a different point of view. can't wait to see what happens next!
LadyWriter chapter 14 . 2/12/2006
Awesome! I think this chapter was great how she went through all that inner thinking to come up with her own answer. I liked how Janie came in and was very persptive of the situation. I think this story is great!
Eternally Eris chapter 14 . 2/12/2006
A little mistake...

“I hope he goes for someone better this time.”

“Yeah, if someone better would take him. I hope no one does. I hope he’s stuck with girls like Jessica for the rest of his life. That’s what he deserves.”

“I don’t know,” Jessica sighs, “he can be nice. I like him. I mean, sure, they say he’d had a bad phase.”

Otherwise, an amazingly great story.
sunshinefallsat my feet chapter 14 . 2/12/2006
aw
sketchingaCYNiC chapter 14 . 2/12/2006
hmm. i don't really understand why, if grace wants to fall in love, she's denying maxim. i mean, it's a human thing to do? to run away from problems and she's afraid of falling in love and being rejected? or getting hurt/hurting someone?

the time thing's cleared up now. ;; i knew they were in the summer, but the narration's very very fast paced. o.o;
notaboy chapter 14 . 2/12/2006
haha, way to craftily make this story into a modern day and age pride and prejudice...you slipped it in very silkily...i hardly even noticed, I like that...it isnt outrightly just saying, hey, this is like p&p...

anyway, I like this story a lot, and Maxim sounds gorgeous...haha
Pixel chapter 14 . 2/12/2006
I really love this fic. He's so mean and makes me want to cry half the time. If I met a guy like that ooh i'd sock him in the face (actualy my last bf was kind of like that just not as bad I guess. And I didn't sock him in the face. Kinda wish I had lol.) But this fic is very cute and addicting. I love it and your style of writing is awesome. I LOVE Ayn Rand. We The Living I could read over and over again. So I got all giddy when you mentioned her :) Anywho great job can't wait to see what happens in the next chapter.
happyeverafter chapter 14 . 2/12/2006
I think you managed this chapter very well. It's an interesting chapter to read eventhough notthing eccept for thoughts happens in it, not alot of writers can do that. About the fanfiction comment. If you in any way see this as something less than "real" fiction then I'm sorry for the comment, that was not in ANY way my intention. I just got taken by surprise and this is from someone who has read more than 50 pieces of modern Pride and Prejudice "fanfiction" and even more in the original timeframe. I still can't belive that I didn't see the signs, you even called her sister Janie!
LadyWriter chapter 13 . 2/12/2006
Awesome chapter! I loved the interaction between Maxim and Grace! I like how he admitted it and she wanted to smack him. Awesome Chapter! Update soon!
89 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 .. Last Next »