Reviews for More Reasons To Hate High School
Fujaku chapter 1 . 5/30/2014
This is so true. School is bad for your health now that you mention it, and these are all very good reasons why. Good job.
RedMonocle chapter 1 . 11/24/2012
Haha, I detect some sarcasm at the end before the author's note...
Anyway, what I see here is not a student complaining, but a student calling attention to issues (and, oh, if only our economy could afford to fix them! Too bad for me and my generation now with the recession). Some of your arguments are not quite supported well (the sanitation ones especially), and I feel you should've added maybe a bit of logos appeal...but I suppose that's a bit too late now, huh (you posted it in '05, so I'm assuming high school's WAY behind you now)? Really, it's midnight as I type this and beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so it should be perfect as is.
Nice to see this fresh perspective of such a worn-out "child's complaint".
-Reddie
Funky Bracelet Chick chapter 1 . 12/8/2009
when i read these types of things, i get the feeling that this is half bullshit and half something to consider. i don't think i've ever been given 2 hours of homework before. wouldnt carrying heavy books just make your arms stronger? the thing about the luch room is just a fact of life when thats where people eat. if you do it all the time, wouldnt ur body naturally build up immunity? sounds like bs to me.

BUT, at the same time, i'm only drawingm expierience from my school. i have no idea what it's like outsside of my high school. is it really that different? is my school soft or something? i dunno. and just because of that, i'm not going to disreagrd these points.

and, just to clear things up, i dont mean this to sound like a flame if it does. i dont think i have the guts when it could mean being reported on here. so yeah. no haitng going on here. just stating an opinion.
PindrakeCake chapter 1 . 8/27/2008
SO true. I laughed about the every teacher thinking their class is the most important...too true for words. I'm actually going back to school in about, oh, exactly 12 hours. Anyway, I liked it a lot!
Hed in the Cloudz chapter 1 . 5/25/2008
Wow! Well researched, and many good points! I love that you actually submitted this to your school newspaper- quite brave of you, really! And, of course, I like the subject- because every student wants to read proof that school is dangerous.

I know that it doesn't matter anymore, but some of these things sound like assumptions. Unless you've tested for these bacteria and chemicals, mentioning them is probably not a good idea unless you have statistics to quote. I also dislike the last paragraph- if you're going to have a cop out conclusion, don't bother with one at all because to include anything that's poorly written takes away from the impact of the rest.

-Yna, from the Review Marathon (see the link in my profile!)
Duuude chapter 1 . 5/3/2008
This really is valid. Especially when you're a senior. Maybe in your first two years, you don't feel the heat. But just wait, it gets a lot harder. The sawdust was a little too far though.. Haha. I understand the textbook dilemma, I have to take four textbooks (really heavy ones) home each day. I'll be hunch-backed by the time I'm done school. xD

Anyway, the teachers need to lighten up, it's not as if students will suddenly drop out because of your article.

And to those old farts who went to high school long ago, it's a lot harder now. They wouldn't know... would they? Some of the things people learned in university a few years back is taught in high school now. So shove off.

Well written. Props to you. It reminds me of my situation a whole lot. I'm just lucky that school's almost over for me soon.
orangesandmoons chapter 1 . 2/26/2008
brilliant and completely true, though i don't understand why they requested that the third to last paragraph to be deleted. and yes, it may be only 4 years but during exam time it can feel like an eternity...oh the torture!
Ms. Anna chapter 1 . 2/11/2008
I love this. It makes oh-so-much sense.

I'm curious as to how something like this would go over in my school...Too bad I never have to write papers. Grr.
la petite tourne-sol chapter 1 . 2/7/2008
I don't think it's worth complaining about, it's just four years. Though, I totally thnought of my backpack as soon as you mentioned the heaviness. Hahaha... My backpack weighs about 10-15 lbs, I've actually weighed it. That's definitely unhealthy, and can cause damage to your back. Understandable argument, I too have seen the downs to school, but, it'll be worth it in the end. Obviously you're not TOO worried about the whole computer thing, seeing as you got on one and sat there and typed this article. Even if I don't think it's worth your time to complain about most days, your essay is well written, you definitely did your research on the subject.
reader chapter 1 . 7/10/2006
Guess what? Walking to the grocery store is a health hazard too. Carrying the bags back to my apartment cuts off the blood supply to my fingers and increases the likelyhood of bursting some capillaries. aka "Life in general is a health hazard." You focus on school only because it currently takes a large chunk of time out of your life. It must've been an entertaining article to write, but i get a feeling of ungratefulness/disrespect from the student (you) to the school faculty. Sure it's a job but some teachers do feel strongly that they can influence a student's life for the better. You may moan and bitch about it now but when you go out into the real world the things you learn in school (i.e. work ethics, studying) will take you a long way. This essay is baseless and tasteless and it's likely older students reading this article will figure out sooner or later that it's written by a Complainer.

Sawdust? Hazardous? Okay, quit shop class, ditch school, and try to get a job with a shitty education. You'll more than likely end up in a labor intensive job working for something lower than minimum wage or a living wage. And at the end of the day when you come home with sore muscles and/or an aching back why don't you write another article you can publish and display to your coworkers? Then promply get fired for disturbance.

I can tell that at one point you felt strongly about this article, getting worked up over the 'censorship' crap (com'on...ever heard of N. Korea?). Life Life. Life doesn't mean it's supposed to be good to you, or it's supposed to be bad, it just 'is.' Get over yourself.

PS if you still have a problem with backpacks fix the problem and get a roller. It's a hell of an object to roll around all day but i's not as bad as people think it to be.
nofaceme chapter 1 . 2/5/2006
hehehee...I love it! So so true! I think the e-mail person needed to understand that this is satire. Far too serious, neh? I think that it was very nice. Keep it up!
You're My Fucking Delight chapter 1 . 11/30/2005
so damn true...
Alazar-Ramir chapter 1 . 11/24/2005
OMG, this is so hilarously true. Can I print it out and hand it to my headmaster? Probably he'll flip and kick me out of the top floor window. It's a shame that admin got a miffed about it - I mean it's your opinion.
Arrogit chapter 1 . 11/17/2005
I can see why the school censored it. Some points seemed valid; others seemed not to be. Back up what you say with evidence.
UBambassador2006 chapter 1 . 11/16/2005
This essay is organized well even if I do disagree. I'm a high school sophomore who usually carries three-four textbooks home a night along with all of my notebooks and folders. I spend hours reading and working,yet I am still able to have a social life. High School really isn't that bad...just wait until college and real life. THEN see how you feel.