Reviews for Why I Don't Hate Avril Lavigne
ShadowFane chapter 1 . 11/8/2006
Nice argument. You know what? I like her, too. My fav. songs by her are Forgotten and Together. :D

The Temptation Of Amadeo chapter 1 . 6/22/2006
I like some mainstream music and some really off-the-wall stuff too. What I hate is when other people make fun of or roll their eyes at others choice of music. I think everyone needs music they can just turn up loud and relate to. Everyone likes different things. Just listen to what you like and to hell with everyone else I guess!
Black and White Dreams chapter 1 . 3/10/2006
i love Avril Lavigne! i dont understand y people come up with all those crazy reasons y they h8 her either. i love her lyrics and her voice! punk rock is awsome! people just cant respect a punk like Avril when all these "sexy sluts" like Brittney Speers r out there doing all the real possing and doing crazy things to get attention. g00d 4 u! i like ur music taste! keep writing! choa! love, caitlin
nofaceme chapter 1 . 3/9/2006
Really, I don't care about you justifying your love of A.L. If you like her, that's great. I don't care. I would like this more if it was about why it has influenced you. I don't judge people by their music tastes. So This doesn't bother me one bit. I don't care if she can't skate. I even have some of her songs. Scary, huh? I would love more feel in this. This is highly defensive. Let loose! Make a songfiction for crying out loud! I bet, if you really liked her music, you could write a great songfic. This feels like an essay...which is dull to me. Spice it up a little. then I will re-read it.
wodneythewat chapter 1 . 2/21/2006
My brothers have a lot of influence over me when it comes to music and the like. Therefore I listen to a broad range of things, from Avril Lavinge to things I'd never heard of before my brothers listened to it repeatedly and it got stuck in my head. And yes, I get a lot of ridicule from them about my music preferences.

Thanks for all your reviews, by the way.
Sang Yu Nung chapter 1 . 2/13/2006
Well okay. "Man, makes you cringe, ain’t it?" doesn't make sense, but I suppose Gagging Angel has already found that. Now I'm going to agree with the user, On Mercury, and say that the poser/poseur thing was a little bit punny, and I disliked it (duh, you have to pose for pictures- that's being a celebrity.) Or you didn't know that the words poser and poseur are the same. My original comments? I don't like your punctuation "I admit it: when it comes to music, my taste is very mainstream," but I guess it goes to show you that people are obviously going to have their own preferences. (Ahem.) Your piece was flopped back and forth, oscillating and never getting to a point, but it was semi-entertaining, which is more of a compliment or thought than you gave to my piece. I'm not bitter, but I thought I'd return the favor. Write on.
Spare Change chapter 1 . 1/11/2006
Bravo on your piece. Death to music elitism!... I admit that I also listen to Avril Lavigne from time to time, even though I'm not a fan (yet somehow, I find myself defending her from pop-rock haters who call her a poser.) Hard as it is, music should be judged based solely on music alone, and opinions about such things shouldn't be broadcasted as the absolute truth.
ode to a firefly chapter 1 . 12/23/2005
Yay for Avril fans! All my friends make fun of me, but I don't care. If it weren't for Avil, I probably wouldn't have learned to play guitar. :)

hey maria chapter 1 . 12/19/2005
wtf u listen to avril lavigne? omg u suck!

Yeah, just kidding.

I don't like Avril Lavigne because..well...I don't know why. Her music just doesn't appeal to me. I do agree that her voice is better than the other pop artists out there. And their "breathy voice" techniques. They annoy the crap out of me.

Your arguments against the typical "poser" and "she can't skate" claims are awesome; you're sarcastic but not in an overdone way. It was very funny.

I disagree with you about the lyrics though; really good lyrics are not like anything else, they're poetry with music to go along with it. They don't even have to rhyme. Check out the lyrics to "One Hundred Years" by the's actually rather pretty.

I like your honesty and tact - it was great to hear from someone who speaks their mind but who still respects other opinions. Most of those "omg u poser" music fanatics have no clue about music in the first place. Great job.
dark88poet chapter 1 . 12/8/2005
your honesty is refreshing.
rdlove chapter 1 . 12/3/2005
I too enjoy Avril, she has a wonderful voice and truly deserves fans. Her lyrics are actually very good. Truthfully, although these reasons people hate her are their personal opinion, I believe that these are kind of cruel, you just don't like her, you don't really need to say a reason. Well, that's what I think.

(Not on this story)And think you for the review you wrote me on my Holocaust essay. This was originally on my xanga. Most of my posts are priate on that though; so, you really wouldn't be able to point out errors on it except the two posts I made public. Which one includes my essay. If you truly want to see the two posts, then my name is XhOwS_LiFeX. If not then you don't have to. Thank you again, your review was honest but not cruel, and I enjoy making myself a better writer.
PoeticMasquerade chapter 1 . 11/28/2005
Firstly, I have to admit that I found the sarcasmn used in this piece rather humorous... Grats You. :) Secondly, I find that while Avril's lyrics are simple, they are deep in their own right. Simplicity can sometimes be more magnificent than overextravigance and silly over complicated words.

All in all... Good Essay :)
Gagging Angel chapter 1 . 11/24/2005
"Man, makes you cringe, ain’t it?" The 'ain't' should be 'doesn't'.

Surprisingly enough, that is the only complaint that I have about this essay. Now, I'm not exactly an Avril fan (though I don't see what the big deal with hating her is), but that's mostly because I prefer the classical and techno genres. If I was into her type of music, I would probably enjoy her songs: she has a nice voice.

I thought that your rebuttals were splendid, and it amuses me how some of the poser sarcasm was apparently lost upon some of your reviewers (don't worry about those foolish general those who pull out the poser/poseur tool are usually the real posers and are not secure in what they is more suggestive of the mainstream than one who listens to the mainstream and likes it for what it is).

This is a rather impressive writing, in fact, this is what an essay on fictionpress should really be. Very far above much of the crap and pointless rants that we see here.

Wonderful support, and a right-on-target opinion. Bravo.
woesoflove chapter 1 . 11/24/2005
oh wow. my sentiments are pretty much the same. like, thats how i got into music ...not exactly avril, but she is one of my favourite artists D i like her songs...they don't get sickening or anything. and i guess we can't really expect anything better than 'posing', since artists need to create an image for themselves and thats what avril fits into, with her songs and all. i pretty much agree with a lot of your comments.
Forest Passant chapter 1 . 11/23/2005
"To be honest, I can never really tell the difference between pop and rock."

I was with you up till here (I do hate Avril, but I think it's silly how people go, oh my god, you listen to avril GET AWAY FROM ME I LISTEN TO GOOD CHARLOTTE!)

Listen, go to a/umlaut/ and download the free MP3s. Then listen to them and listen to Avril and just TRY to tell me there's no difference. Beware of the swearwords, but you won't be able to understand what they're saying anyway. (Umlaut are, well, interesting. If you're curious do a Wikipedia search. Too lazy to explain.)

"Most lyrics have the same words, the same pattern, and the same type of rhymes, so why one lyric is superior to another even though they both talk about love/heartbreak/hate/angst/life and all of its unfairness is beyond my grasp."

My favorite lyrics? "Peaches come from a can/ They were put there by a man/ In a factory downtown/ If I had my little way/ I'd eat peaches every day/ Sun soaking bulges in the shade." The Presidents of the United States of America. Peaches. Check it out. (No angst in here.)

"Plus, I can’t even tell the difference between the E and the B chords, so they sound really convincing when they get to all that technical stuff."

That's okay. Most people can't. The cool thing about ROCK (not pop) is that anyone can do it.

"Others like certain music because they can’t understand the lyrics and the artists have only four other fans."

Noo... I like it because it's a CHALLENGE to INTERPRET the lyrics and the artists only have four other fans. There's a difference. :-)

"The only reason I listen mainly to mainstream music is that it is the kind of music I have the easiest access to."

Yeah, I know what you mean. Get Kazaa Lite.

Some people really probably got pissed off by this essay. Those people are poseurs. (Or else they're just not as happy as I am).